What ever happened to the Vertex Cerebra?

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update came out a few hours ago that the first unit will ship to one of the more active and helpful members of the beta forums next week.

So it seems they are very close.

Tobe71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A new V7 unit is being sent to our top Beta Test Group member in a couple of days. This guy is super meticulous and will have this run through it's paces in no time. Ship time remains at 2-3 months per most recent post from the COO, Ben.

Tobe71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DarkSky... arg it seems I've lost my long detailed message to you/the community - prob for the best.
So, in your opinion (way more informed than mine), do you think its a month or so before delivery to existing owners and say at least 3-6 months before I (joe public) can get my hands on one?

For a new Reefer (that is going all in after 15 years away from hobby - I am doing my homework and know what Im getting into.) that travels a lot ( 2 x 3-5 day trips per month, and occasionally 7-14 days, plus frequent 2-3 day weekenders), do you think the Cerebra or Full Apex are really worth it over Milwaukee, JR, or EL. I know the wifi is the big differentiator, but I am not going to spend another $2K+ to truly make the system "controllable" remotely, so that I could actually "do anything" if something significant goes wrong, anyway.... if thats even really possible. I like the wifi for visibility and peace of mind, but I'm mostly just concerned with it working - ie PH and temp (maybe Salinity) auto testing and shutoffs so I can get back within a few days and avoid catastrophe. That said, I plan a relatively involved "set up"- frag tank, dedicated QT, 1 or 2 dedicated species tanks.

Btw, one question Im not clear on, is the ability (ease of use) to use Apex (or Cerebra2) to run multiple tanks, for instance additional display tanks and/or monitoring FragT, QT, species/breeder tanks?

FYI (my tank): I purchased a used (like new) - 90G Cube on stand, 20G Sump (Bean Animal), Vertex skim, Vertex sump pump, with 2x preinstalled dosers. I'm planning dry/clean rock, bare bottom, high flow (pumps TBD) and T-5/Kessil combo. In the sump, counter cycle "clean" fuge w chaeto & Kessill and likely Pure Block for added volume, Copepods, etc.).

Not to start another discussion, but I'm thinking about starting on Kalk ATO (w redundancy) and potentially skipping 2 part in favor of Triton, Zeovit/KZ and/or Calcium Reactor when I have enough consumption. (CR seems a little odd to me philosophically - adding CO2, just to take it out elsewhere). But fundamentally, breaking down skeleton coral for core and trace elements, does make a heck of a lot of sense... anyway, that all comes later, BUT its virtually a sure thing I get to that point and beyond, so I figured its relevant for the Controller discussion..... and like many others I fantasize about growing out lots of beautiful corals, fragging, and someday have a side hustle/store, someday..... Perhaps Im answering my own question, but your opinion is still appreciated. 1) realistic delivery timing on Cerebra2, 2) Cerebra2 or full Apex 3) stick to cheaper specific systems and uses that just work?

Thank you and sorry for my long-windedness. I hope this post is relevant here.... I am pretty new to reefing and VERY new to Forums.
- Jay

If you don't want to wait for the public release, I have acquired several Beta units from competitors that used the V1 to test with their equipment and from other beta testers that have gotten out of the hobby or grew tired of the wait.

I will be getting my replacement units with the rest of the Beta testers hopefully soon and at worst by December. Also, the beta group modules will have some sort of special thing that differentiates them from the ones that will be released to the public months later.

I was told retail should be around $789. I have them listed on Ebay now for that or best offer. I will ship as soon as they are in hand. I assume they will go quickly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vertex-Cerebra-Prima-NEW-VII-/162670996403

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catch flack? YOU NAILED IT! I love the design of the Cerebra even more than the GHL.

.....and for me..... the Cerebra has a real !ETHERNET! jack. BINGO! I'm pumped. Between GHL, ecoral, Cerebra, there will be a lot of used APEX hitting the pre-owned market.

I might actually run 2 systems side by side for redundancies if all pans out. Can't Wait.

Ummm - all versions of the Apex and the Profilux 3 have ethernet, so I'm not sure why that is a limiting factor for you.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darksky gave a good rundown of the hardware and software pros and cons the only thing that I feel like he did not mention is that everyone needs to keep in mind that when the vertex comes out it is most likely going to be 6 months to a year of software updates and Bug fixes before it will be anything that most hobbyist would be okay leaving alone for a few days while they go out of town. if you go look back at the Apex reviews on Bulk Reef Supply from when it very first come out you'll see a lot of really poor reviews where Apex set software issues that killed a lot of people's tanks and this is from a company that has made aquarium controllers for years and years those bad reviews didn't really stop until about halfway through 2017. I would imagine that vertex having just got into the aquarium controller Market is probably going to have a rougher time than that in the beginning. so it's like you say you're going to be going out of town periodically I would definitely say go with the Apex El for now.

This. I readily admit that I have a very negative opinion of Vertex for the way they (mis)handled the initial cerebra launch, and misled consumers over the last 2-3 years, but any objective assessment of the situation says that if you want a stable, reliable controller in the next year, you'd be best off with an existing controller like the Apex or GHL Profilux. As Cyricdark says, you have a company with no history of making controllers coming out with a brand new controller. It may be that the Cerebra V2 runs perfectly from the get-go, but given the history of the project that's a bit of a leap of faith.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how the eKoral has a wireless power brick. I think it would be beneficial for every controller to at least offer a 2-4 outlet power module that wirelessly connects to the main power brick (or head unit), like a wireless extension. This would let people control remote hardware, like an RODI or mixing station, without running long power cords. A remote unit that only will direct-connect with the other unit.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I like how the eKoral has a wireless power brick. I think it would be beneficial for every controller to at least offer a 2-4 outlet power module that wirelessly connects to the main power brick (or head unit), like a wireless extension. This would let people control remote hardware, like an RODI or mixing station, without running long power cords. A remote unit that only will direct-connect with the other unit.
While a nice concept, the weakness i see will be in the event of a signal loss, those outlets will become disabled. Depending on what is plugged into them (heater, pumps) can lead to a temporary crisis

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DarkSky... arg it seems I've lost my long detailed message to you/the community - prob for the best.
So, in your opinion (way more informed than mine), do you think its a month or so before delivery to existing owners and say at least 3-6 months before I (joe public) can get my hands on one?

For a new Reefer (that is going all in after 15 years away from hobby - I am doing my homework and know what Im getting into.) that travels a lot ( 2 x 3-5 day trips per month, and occasionally 7-14 days, plus frequent 2-3 day weekenders), do you think the Cerebra or Full Apex are really worth it over Milwaukee, JR, or EL. I know the wifi is the big differentiator, but I am not going to spend another $2K+ to truly make the system "controllable" remotely, so that I could actually "do anything" if something significant goes wrong, anyway.... if thats even really possible. I like the wifi for visibility and peace of mind, but I'm mostly just concerned with it working - ie PH and temp (maybe Salinity) auto testing and shutoffs so I can get back within a few days and avoid catastrophe. That said, I plan a relatively involved "set up"- frag tank, dedicated QT, 1 or 2 dedicated species tanks.

Btw, one question Im not clear on, is the ability (ease of use) to use Apex (or Cerebra2) to run multiple tanks, for instance additional display tanks and/or monitoring FragT, QT, species/breeder tanks?

FYI (my tank): I purchased a used (like new) - 90G Cube on stand, 20G Sump (Bean Animal), Vertex skim, Vertex sump pump, with 2x preinstalled dosers. I'm planning dry/clean rock, bare bottom, high flow (pumps TBD) and T-5/Kessil combo. In the sump, counter cycle "clean" fuge w chaeto & Kessill and likely Pure Block for added volume, Copepods, etc.).

Not to start another discussion, but I'm thinking about starting on Kalk ATO (w redundancy) and potentially skipping 2 part in favor of Triton, Zeovit/KZ and/or Calcium Reactor when I have enough consumption. (CR seems a little odd to me philosophically - adding CO2, just to take it out elsewhere). But fundamentally, breaking down skeleton coral for core and trace elements, does make a heck of a lot of sense... anyway, that all comes later, BUT its virtually a sure thing I get to that point and beyond, so I figured its relevant for the Controller discussion..... and like many others I fantasize about growing out lots of beautiful corals, fragging, and someday have a side hustle/store, someday..... Perhaps Im answering my own question, but your opinion is still appreciated. 1) realistic delivery timing on Cerebra2, 2) Cerebra2 or full Apex 3) stick to cheaper specific systems and uses that just work?

Thank you and sorry for my long-windedness. I hope this post is relevant here.... I am pretty new to reefing and VERY new to Forums.
- Jay
Sounds like you should look into GHL

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would tend to agree with @vetteguy53081. You could reduce the risk by adding failsafe programming to the outlets telling them what to do when communications were lost, but the risk would outweigh the benefit, IMO.

As an aside, I find it interesting that we have one post from someone saying how they will never buy a controller without a hardwired connection, and few posts later someone wishing there were more wireless options. I kind of feel for the manufacturers!

Drakonis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spoke physically with Vertex July 27th on the Cerebra. They are on Target for new unit and Their issues were due to their vendor to assemble/manufacture replacements who bailed out with NO notice to them. They had to assemble an engineering team and start from scratch to make these units, test them and assure the aquarists would be able to use these trouble free. Naturally, they had to test the systems for several months to get true and good results before selling to the public. Their testing ends Labor Day week and they will be able to manufacture quantity for ship slated for late fall.
Uhh... that sounds like your either an employee or you are a 3rd party advertiser. Thats a very sugar coated selective truth story ya got there...

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ummm - all versions of the Apex and the Profilux 3 have ethernet, so I'm not sure why that is a limiting factor for you.

I already have an APEX, which I am looking to do away with or put it in backup duty. Current controller Profilux 4 DOES NOT have an Ethernet port, I both confirmed that with the reps and Reef-A-Palooza NY few months back and expressed my disappointment at the same time.

Why would anyone buy the old Profilux 3 when the new one has been out for more than a year?

As to the limiting factor: well, I run all my network equipment on a wired network. I have a separate network (different subnet)for Wi-Fi devices and yet another Wi-Fi Network (different sub-net) for guests. All peacefully running along on pfSense (amazing stuff!)

Let me make it short and sweet: Wi-Fi in insecure; I hope you're not trying to dispute that.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I would tend to agree with @vetteguy53081

As an aside, I find it interesting that we have one post from someone saying how they will never buy a controller without a hardwired connection, and few posts later someone wishing there were more wireless options. I kind of feel for the manufacturers!

I don't, with current technologies why not have both and throw in Bluetooth for extra measures, but allow user to disable whats not used through UI.

For Pete's sake, even the Raspberry PI has an Ethernet port.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
BTW current port selection of the GHL Profilux 4; I'm hoping that perhaps one of the expansion ports can be used to slot in an Ethernet Jack.

P4-ports.png

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah this is for the vertex cerebra thread. I have seen you bring this up on other controller threads. If you are worried about security I would not connect the control to a network at all. As your router is the main point to worry about.:)

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Ah this is for the vertex cerebra thread. I have seen you bring this up on other controller threads. If you are worried about security I would not connect the control to a network at all. As your router is the main point to worry about.:)

I understand the risks and take all known (to me at least) precautions. I have a pretty good commercial type setup at home to serve my needs.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you still want companies to support an ethernet port and customers having to run cable to their controllers. When all controllers just used Ethernet everyone wanted the companies to have WiFi. Companies want to get the units reliable and easy for the user. That is the end goal of all the companies.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Uhh... that sounds like your either an employee or you are a 3rd party advertiser. Thats a very sugar coated selective truth story ya got there...

Ummm, a hobbyist and former pet store owner who actually DID speak with a rep. Not hard to accomplish. Will try to retrieve communication from them in July as i too am sitting on a beta unit and just as frustrated as many

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So you still want companies to support an ethernet port and customers having to run cable to their controllers. When all controllers just used Ethernet everyone wanted the companies to have WiFi. Companies want to get the units reliable and easy for the user. That is the end goal of all the companies.

No, I dont want customer to have to run cable if you dont already have them. I want customer to have a choice! CHOICE is where it's at.

If you dont have a wired jack, here, we have wi-fi for you. If you have a LAN jack on your wall or wired it already, plug away. CHOICE!

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The consumer has voted for WiFi and Bluetooth connections. Lan jacks are a thing of the past. Many new chipsets do not even support Lan anymore it is become a mute point and is why you see it less in consumer products.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW current port selection of the GHL Profilux 4; I'm hoping that perhaps one of the expansion ports can be used to slot in an Ethernet Jack.

P4-ports.png

I've never lost connection to wifi on my profilux. (Almost 1 year) Fwiw.

Back