What ever happened to the Vertex Cerebra?

jjjameson333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catch flack? YOU NAILED IT! I love the design of the Cerebra even more than the GHL.

.....and for me..... the Cerebra has a real !ETHERNET! jack. BINGO! I'm pumped. Between GHL, ecoral, Cerebra, there will be a lot of used APEX hitting the pre-owned market.

I might actually run 2 systems side by side for redundancies if all pans out. Can't Wait.
Thank you Sir! Very helpful.
Do you know if all of these can control multiple tanks

jjjameson333

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the additional perspective. I think the situation speaks for itself and I go with the Apex or something much simpler until the kinks are worked out and I can then make a fully informed decision!

This. I readily admit that I have a very negative opinion of Vertex for the way they (mis)handled the initial cerebra launch, and misled consumers over the last 2-3 years, but any objective assessment of the situation says that if you want a stable, reliable controller in the next year, you'd be best off with an existing controller like the Apex or GHL Profilux. As Cyricdark says, you have a company with no history of making controllers coming out with a brand new controller. It may be that the Cerebra V2 runs perfectly from the get-go, but given the history of the project that's a bit of a leap of faith.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Sir! Very helpful.
Do you know if all of these can control multiple tanks

The profilux can. Cerebra should be able to in the future, but won't be able to right away. That's if your talking probes and dashboards. You could have a seperate powerbar and control lights/ato/pump with the cerebra as is. That's if it works as it should when released. With apex, I think you're better off buying another apex for multiple tanks, especially with the el being $500

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I've never lost connection to wifi on my profilux. (Almost 1 year) Fwiw.

I don't think I could have been clearer in my statements above but I'll try again.

This is not about dropped connections with Wi-Fi, I have plenty of coverage between multiple APs in the house, its about lack of security with wireless devices.

Wi-Fi is inherently insecure whether your opinion differs or not - it's a known fact.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I could have been clearer in my statements above but I'll try again.

This is not about dropped connections with Wi-Fi, I have plenty of coverage between multiple APs in the house, its about lack of security with wireless devices.

Wi-Fi is inherently insecure whether your opinion differs or not - it's a known fact.

Ah yes! Crystal clear on that front. Most are worried about connection issues. Supposedly Vertex is going to extreme lengths on the security front by utilizing an outside iot security firm with the new Cerebra. I'm sure they could discuss those concerns with you if you are interested.

I was a big advocate for the Cerebra having a LAN connection port personally, but not really for security reasons. I just like options as you've stated before. I just don't know if Vertex has the manpower and money to keep up with the other "big names" in the industry. I hope they do, as I'm a fan of most Vertex products based on their design and quality of materials!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
WWIII I am eagerly awaiting release of the new product and hope its a finished and stable controller. I've looked few times at their website to go over specs and capabilities and like what I'm seeing. I just hope they can deliver and properly support it. Time will tell

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would tend to agree with @vetteguy53081. You could reduce the risk by adding failsafe programming to the outlets telling them what to do when communications were lost, but the risk would outweigh the benefit, IMO.

As an aside, I find it interesting that we have one post from someone saying how they will never buy a controller without a hardwired connection, and few posts later someone wishing there were more wireless options. I kind of feel for the manufacturers!

Well a hard wired or wireless internet connection to the brains of the unit is different than what I was suggesting.

I was suggesting a means of wireless power ports, regardless of how the head unit is connected.

For example... If the Apex EB8 had a little wireless expansion block that communicated on a dedicated frequency/channel to just the head unit or EB8. The head unit could still be hard wired.

Whatever wireless means would give the unit-to-unit communication the best coverage with least interference, whether that be a direct wifi, bluetooth, RF, ect...

If there's a power/signal outage, the same rules would apply as if it were a regular EB8.

They have those powerline access points to get internet service through the wall outlets. Possibly using something similar to have the 2 units communicate to each other? That would be a hardwired, but remote, power strip.

I'm not an engineer. But having a controller control things that aren't near the head unit seems like something attainable and beneficial.

WWIII

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well a hard wired or wireless internet connection to the brains of the unit is different than what I was suggesting.

I was suggesting a means of wireless power ports, regardless of how the head unit is connected.

For example... If the Apex EB8 had a little wireless expansion block that communicated on a dedicated frequency/channel to just the head unit or EB8. The head unit could still be hard wired.

Whatever wireless means would give the unit-to-unit communication the best coverage with least interference, whether that be a direct wifi, bluetooth, RF, ect...

If there's a power/signal outage, the same rules would apply as if it were a regular EB8.

They have those powerline access points to get internet service through the wall outlets. Possibly using something similar to have the 2 units communicate to each other? That would be a hardwired, but remote, power strip.

I'm not an engineer. But having a controller control things that aren't near the head unit seems like something attainable and beneficial.

Vertex had discussed this. Actually took a poll in the beta group to consider making all the power bars completely wireless. The poll results were mixed, but many felt that wireless would be cool only if there was a hardwired option as well for communication back to the head unit. Vertex shelved the idea for now, but the neccessary technology is there with the new Cerebra and Vertex said they may build a wireless powerbar in the future. I wouldn't count on it any time soon, if at all, but it did come up in conversation.

Tobe71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The consumer has voted for WiFi and Bluetooth connections. Lan jacks are a thing of the past. Many new chipsets do not even support Lan anymore it is become a mute point and is why you see it less in consumer products.
Moot... not mute.

ReefJunky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... I'm in the boat with all the others. I bought 2 units at the "low introductory price" with the hopes of using them on two new tank builds. Years later and both units are still in the unopened white Vertex boxes and in the original cardboard shipping boxes too. But I can't say that one is unopened due to my house being broken into and one box getting opened by the burglar, but no part of the unit was taken or damaged. If it were then I might have been able to get some insurance money. Maybe one day I can either trade them in for a V2 or possibly sell them, but no one is wiling to pay good money for a piece of Vertex junk so they sit in storage as a sad reminder. I won't be buying any Vertex products any time soon unless they redeem themselves, but I doubt it.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closer, sure. But who knows when it'll be here. Word is that we're going to get it no later than Dec. 22nd... units are built and ready - but they're stuck on one aspect of the software. If they figure it out they could be sending them out this month potentially.

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closer, sure. But who knows when it'll be here. Word is that we're going to get it no later than Dec. 22nd... units are built and ready - but they're stuck on one aspect of the software. If they figure it out they could be sending them out this month potentially.
I didn’t see in the Cerebra Club Forum anything from Vertex stating they would be shipping this year.

Pauley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, maybe they're waiting for a 10 year anniversary release of the controller. Meaning, ten years since they began the project. :p

Personally, I don't put too much faith in Vertex's nebulous statements regarding the imminent release of the unicontroller (half controller, half unicorn). Fact is, every deadline (both implied and explicit) for years now has come and gone. There is always one more hardware issue, software issue, minor tweak, missing screw (remember that one!), etc. Just my opinion, but even weekly updates are somewhat worthless, considering the way new issues keep popping up like holes in a dam. The never-ending punch list is like some weird nigerian scam. The only thing that will matter to me is when people start receiving fully functional physical units - every other deadline, promise, tale of awesome new features to come, etc is just pillow talk.

Tobe71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... I'm in the boat with all the others. I bought 2 units at the "low introductory price" with the hopes of using them on two new tank builds. Years later and both units are still in the unopened white Vertex boxes and in the original cardboard shipping boxes too. But I can't say that one is unopened due to my house being broken into and one box getting opened by the burglar, but no part of the unit was taken or damaged. If it were then I might have been able to get some insurance money. Maybe one day I can either trade them in for a V2 or possibly sell them, but no one is wiling to pay good money for a piece of Vertex junk so they sit in storage as a sad reminder. I won't be buying any Vertex products any time soon unless they redeem themselves, but I doubt it.
I’ll buy them both. PM me and we can work out the details

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Catch flack? YOU NAILED IT! I love the design of the Cerebra even more than the GHL.

.....and for me..... the Cerebra has a real !ETHERNET! jack. BINGO! I'm pumped. Between GHL, ecoral, Cerebra, there will be a lot of used APEX hitting the pre-owned market.

I might actually run 2 systems side by side for redundancies if all pans out. Can't Wait.
As much as Im excited to see this controller finally do more than being an expensive timer, this thread is suddenly starting to look a lot like the original one, when the cerebra had just been announced and Vertex was calling out Neptune :). We should wait to see this thing work before going back to these threads dissapointed

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Competition is good for everyone!

We will all benefit.

I want to run my new build off multiple breakers feeding multiple separate GFCIs, where two controllers run multiple overlapping probes and devices. Over time, the more reliable type will be the main controller.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 30.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back