What ever happened to the Vertex Cerebra?

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what's happening, I imagine a lot of people have written this unit off and moved on. They can't keep silent and think the issue will fix itself. If they really want to complete in this part of the market. They need to swing for the fence in a big way if they want to make it. Right now it looks like they are in a fight, and all they are doing is ducking and covering up.

ReeferRoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just ticked that i cant even use the controller now. Its a brick.

Mrx7899

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vertex scrap the old controller there was to many problems with it. And are coming out with a total redesign unit that will be like no controller on the market

ReeferRoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well maybe they will give me a nice credit for the brick they put out for beta or help get basic controls with it.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They said they were going to give the beta users the new unit free of charge. The problem is it's been several months since this announcement was made. Then they went dark no updates nothing, now as mentioned above almost everyone has a nice shinny brick for there $375 . It's just bad all around.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, the last I saw was the promise of the replacement units and a % off of the purchase of accesories for the unit.

Kevin T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its funny, I found this in an effort to see who was still talking about Cerebra. Long story short, the version 1 of the product is seriously buggy and has both hardware and software issues which make it barely usable and not at all reliable. Vertex claims to be developing v2, but is doing an awful job of meeting committed dates and keeping the beta group informed.

My Cerebra lives in a cardboard box while Apex cares for the Reef. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@jeremy.gosnell i just want to be the first one to tell u ur article about this controller was spot on and thank you because I was thinking of buying it but ur words of wisdom talked me out of it

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct. Don't buy one. I had one and sold it before the house of cards fell down. I now have an Apex and could not be happier. With the trouble they are having I wounder what version 2 will be like. They released the beta to soon. With big promises that have yet to come true.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have been answering questions and posting updates on the cerebra.club forum, you have to register to view it and own a Cerebra.

https://forum.cerebra.club/

I think the last update stated that they'll have production units to show off at MACNA. Current v1 Cerebra beta testers will be getting v2 free of charge.

I must be one of the only ones not having critical issues with their Cerebra. I'm still running my SPS tank with the thing, it's controlling my heating, dosing, chiller, lighting and pumps/powerheads.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

Here's the update we received from Vertex and I'm sure the same message other beta testers are receiving as well. ;)

"Dear Cerebra Beta Testers,

First off, I would like to thank you for your continued support and patience during this stage of reworking and redesigning of the Cerebra Aquarium Controller.

During this redesign, we are taking every opportunity to continually improve upon the original product. We want to take advantage of the new technology (faster processors and newer Operating System can do more) being utilized in the new controller. That said the process of taking advantage of these opportunities has slowed down the development.

Another delaying factor; we realize the primary function of Cerebra (or any Aquarium Controller for that matter) is to monitor and regulate different parameters Electrochemically. It is no secret that all controllers in the Aquarium industry leave much to be desired for accuracy and precision specially when it comes to; Temperature, Conductivity (Salinity/SG) and pH.

Cerebra V1 was no exception to this rule. To ensure we provide you with the most accurate controller possible, we commissioned an industry leader who designs Controllers for research and medical facilities to aid us with the Hardware/Software design. After initial research and testing Cerebra V1 and other Aquarium Controllers; they concluded that the Hardware design for many Aquarium controllers are not set for accuracy specially when it comes to Conductivity.

While we are extremely pleased with the new Hardware/Software design, this process has slowed down the development and the main reason for delay. we are however, now fully confident that Cerebra will have the most accurate Electrochemical measurement in the Aquarium Industry.

With all that said, we know what you really want to know and that’s the release date for version two of the Cerebra. We will be showcasing the new Cerebra at Reef-A-Palooza in Southern California on the first week of October. We will have “PRODUCTION MODEL” working units in by the end of September and plan to ship out your Cerebras shortly after.

While the date is further along than we had originally anticipated, we want to provide a realistic date at this point and feel that you will be pleasantly surprised with the results. We apologize for the update delays but we want to make sure that the product lives up to what we know it can live up to.

Thank you,

Ben@Vertex"

-Randy

nc208082

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what the story is with this controller? I keep seeing this scitronix controller being advertised and its the cerebra version 1? Why is one company Vertex keep postponing bringing out their revised v2, yet this scitronix company is pushing the v1 with better hardware at this very moment?

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what the story is with this controller? I keep seeing this scitronix controller being advertised and its the cerebra version 1? Why is one company Vertex keep postponing bringing out their revised v2, yet this scitronix company is pushing the v1 with better hardware at this very moment?

According to Vertex, they own the IP and software and paid Scitronix to develop the V1 Cerebra. Vertex broke off the relationship (they claim due to QA issues, which I can understand having my own V1 Cerebra) and started the v2 build in house.

Scitronix hasn't said much with respect to these allegations and claims other than "let the courts decide" and "it'd be a shame if no one got to see this controller (little blue)."

The truth probably lies somewhere between. Since there is a legal case in progress I'm sure no one will say a thing to clarify.

If Vertex did contract and pay Scitronix to build the unit, it should be a pretty open and shut case. The fact there hasn't been any injunction against Scitronix preventing the sale of the V1 apparent Little blue leads me to believe there are more nuances to this story than we the public know.

Tobe71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is planned to be debuting at Reefapalooza on October 7-8

I'll believe it when I see it. The delays are understandable but the way things have been communicated have been unprofessional and even sophomoric at times. I love the concept, but I am underwhelmed with the PR to say the least.

PS If anyone is interested, I have 2 Cerebra V1s (one with an extra power bar) for sale. PM me with any reasonable offers. They can be traded in for new V2s as soon as they become available...

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be surprised as well. I'm sorry you have two of those units. I hope it works out in the near future and you and others get a real working unit.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.1%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back