What ever happened to the Vertex Cerebra?

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometime in October Vertex is going to replace old cerebra. Hope they make this deadline as they missed the May deadline. Updates on the cerebra forum are slow. Time will tell. At this point I wish I had not purchased this controller. I hope Vertex is able to make their October deadline and restore my faith in them with a controller that works without flaws.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully we'll get to see it when we are at Reefapalooza in a few weeks ! :)

-Randy

I figured you guys would get special inside info, BRS does some really good marketing for Vertex, and I'm sure you must be a high volume retailer for them?

Hope you have fun at Reefapalooza!

Ryanbrs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured you guys would get special inside info, BRS does some really good marketing for Vertex, and I'm sure you must be a high volume retailer for them?

Hope you have fun at Reefapalooza!

Cerebra has had a history of missing deadlines so it is hard to say. I'm sure they would like to kill me for saying that but it is just a fairly open reality. We can be hard on them for that or simply respect that this is actually a really difficult task. We are not just monitoring and controlling equipment and the tank accurately but we are literally attempting to do it with zero failures. One failure every year or even two or three is not acceptable because it means everything is at risk each time. I love my iPhone but even it crashes or locks up on me multiple times a year. Really a good time to send kudos to those who have been doing this well for years because it ain't easy!

Hopefully, we will see the Cerebra in the somewhat near future.

Cherub

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cerebra has had a history of missing deadlines so it is hard to say. I'm sure they would like to kill me for saying that but it is just a fairly open reality. We can be hard on them for that or simply respect that this is actually a really difficult task. We are not just monitoring and controlling equipment and the tank accurately but we are literally attempting to do it with zero failures. One failure every year or even two or three is not acceptable because it means everything is at risk each time. I love my iPhone but even it crashes or locks up on me multiple times a year. Really a good time to send kudos to those who have been doing this well for years because it ain't easy!

I guess...

jk lol I mean yeah it's hard and that's all fine. What we want is actual updates. If they do come through at reefapalooza then I will be happy. I was holding out for an ekoral and they pushed theirs back to without a word but at least they reply to emails and let me know to look for it on Amazon at the end of the year. I get silence from Vertex.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been on a few engineering projects, even some where we needed very high reliability in high shock and and vibe, very high temperature and very high pressure. The electronics (and everything else actually) had to pass intense destructive testing. The code had to be faultless, zero glitches allowed. But our budgets were ~$140,000USD per unit. Can't see anyone paying that for an aquarium controller. Given the per unit budget, and tough design requirements, I'd say that all of these projects are challenging from an engineering perspective. Delays are to be expected. While certainly more complicated, and more difficult design requirements, our projects took between 3 and 6 years. We also had over 35 engineers working full time.

I hope Vertex hired well when putting together the Cerebra team!

Tobe71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3! Ha!

But I'm keeping one. I think (eventually) they will be the one to beat...

tangdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where can i sign up for my replacement. I got one at the macna in denver and its a paperweight sitting above a tank filled with 250K worth of corals.

Still running apex. Which sucks to be blunt. They have lost all my respect.

Looking at a system other small public aquariums use called avtech as we mostly only care about temperature.

Keep me posted

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
October sometime is when Vertex plans on replacing your Cerebra. They have not announced the actual date yet.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few sneak peeks were released...

image_1154.jpg

image_1155.jpg
image_1153.png

Back