What ever happened to the Vertex Cerebra?

NicolasDoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, i actually just got out from under my cerebra (Thanks @toby71, hoping you have it as I was banned from the forum almost immediately!) Based on the last year+ of the vertex experience I wouldn't touch this controller with a 10 foot pole.

Sorry but what do you mean you where banned from the forum??

Ehunforfun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm assuming the moderator/customer support got wind that I had sold it and banned me from it as its for Cerebra owners only.

Bj’s Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was banned as well. When I sold my unit. I sold my unit last December, I had a feeling things were going south with this project . However I didn't expect it to be this bad. My brother in law bought a Vertex unit as well. He refused to sell it, so he has a high price power strip like a lot of users. So he keeps me up to date as to what's going on.

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are a great company and I am sure when the 2.0 comes out we will all be glad and it will be worth the wait!
Not a great company! We were told last June that they were just waiting on the housing for the Cerebra. We were told many times everything was on track but as due dates approached we were informed nothing until the timeline has passed. How many times can we be told we are waiting on housing before Vertex admits they had not yet ordered housing because they are still making changes to the Cerebra? When pertinent questions get asked they get ignored! Absolutely horrible customer service! They are quick to make snide comments too! The Cerebra is the first and last Vertex product I will buy! Notice how many products Vertex doesn't have anymore? The company Scitronics that did a lot of their development has split from Vertex and took their products with them.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a great company! We were told last June that they were just waiting on the housing for the Cerebra. We were told many times everything was on track but as due dates approached we were informed nothing until the timeline has passed. How many times can we be told we are waiting on housing before Vertex admits they had not yet ordered housing because they are still making changes to the Cerebra? When pertinent questions get asked they get ignored! Absolutely horrible customer service! They are quick to make snide comments too! The Cerebra is the first and last Vertex product I will buy! Notice how many products Vertex doesn't have anymore? The company Scitronics that did a lot of their development has split from Vertex and took their products with them.
But Scitronics says they are supporting all the discontinued Vertex electronics. The fact is, they were the problem. They were tasked to develop a product within a particular set of parameters. Not only did they fail at that task, no software fix could make the product meet the product meet its goal. The product and company was canned.

Instead Vertex made the move to build the product that they wanted along with the improvements suggested from the beta testers. Best of all it being completely designed, programmed and assembled in the USA. Because this is a ground up rebuild using an entirely different platform there have been delays. So many delays that no update they can give will satisfy the public. I’m sure once they have a finished product in hand they will be updating us. The reality is those complaining are likely already lost. But if the controller turns out to be a hit, It will still be a win for Vertex.

Let’s not forget that the product was a beta. And that beta product showed Vertex that it was not a viable product. I welcome the day that the product is ready. I certainly don’t want it before it is.

Ehunforfun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe don't continually lie to your beta testers? Maybe don't keep your beta testers in the dark? Maybe don't charge your beta testers to potentially nuke their tanks (as more than a few have using the cerebra).

NicolasDoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But Scitronics says they are supporting all the discontinued Vertex electronics. The fact is, they were the problem. They were tasked to develop a product within a particular set of parameters. Not only did they fail at that task, no software fix could make the product meet the product meet its goal. The product and company was canned.

Dear Greg,
As much as I respect you and what you do as well as your knowledge about the Industrie and this hobby, please take this as a friendly reminder from a friend: never confirm and repeat things someone just told you and take them as facts if you don’t have proof!!!. If you don’t know the story yourself, you might be wrong. Trust me as someone who knows the story.

Have a great day my friend.
Nic

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nic, you are right, I should not have made those statements as fact. Regardless they are more or less a brief summation of what I have understood as the story. Then again, you see the story from the Scitronics side as I do not.

tangdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As having one of these units am still waiting hopefully but also gambled on a new technogy.

Not sure how to find out how to get on the list to get one but got it shipped right after macna.

Grant Anderson
Director of Husbandry
Butterfly House and Aquarium
Butterflyhouseaquarium.org

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[Full disclosure - I was at one point considering the Cerebra, but decided against it as I had too many concerns about the controller, its state of development and how Vertex was handling things. I purchased a Neptune Apex a few months ago which I am happy with but readily admit has it's quirks and faults. ]

I've read the rumors and stories about Scitronics and they would seem to fit with what's happened and could explain quite a bit - Vertex conceives the product, starts working with a technology contractor to handle the engineering and programming aspects, experiences delays and issues with them and the relationship starts to sour. Then once they release the devices, they realize there are bigger issues and they decide to terminated the relationship and either go it alone or (more likely) contract with another firm to pick up development. Of course, the reverse could be true, too. Scitronics begins development then partners with Vertex, but Vertex keeps changing the requirements, missing payments or doesn't want to pay for the extra work required and they finally decide to walk. I have no idea and have seen nothing definitive; both of these versions are pure conjecture on my part. The fact that Scitronics is marketing Little Blue tells me that they are the ones who actually own the intellectual property rather than Vertex (again, conjecture on my part.)

Regardless, the concern I have about the Cerebra and Vertex in general is the lack of transparency, despite their promises to be totally transparent. The Cerebra had a prolonged development and was then released as a beta unit last year. At that time, Vertex repeatedly said that the hardware was final and that only the software needed some tweaking. Once it was out in people's hands, it was revealed that it was running an old version of Android and couldn't be upgraded due to hardware limitations. After a few months, they announce that they are going to completely redesign the hardware and software of the controller and release it about in about 6 months (May, 2017.) Since then, the May release date has come and gone and we are now 7 months past that with precious little information save some scattered reports. They finally did have a working unit at Reef a palooza in October. I don't know if that was a prototype, a pre-production model or an actual production unit. The pictures I saw had it behind glass so it wouldn't appear people could actually interact with it, but I wasn't at Reef-a-Palooza. @gcarroll or anyone else who was there can probably better comment on what they saw.

If V1 was truly not viable, then I give Vertex credit for stopping and doing a redesign. The fact that they have taken a year to get V2 out is hardly surprising. In fact, had they been able to get new hardware and software designed and released in the 4-5 months that they originally promised it would have been far more surprising and raised other questions. Even now, a working prototype doesn't mean release is imminent - just look at the Neptune COR pumps. For me, the history of the product development and release doesn't engender confidence, but time will tell.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised a trade publication or consumer advocacy complaint hasn't done an investigation on behalf of the consumer, or the parent companies publish a refute or defend themselves of all the damaging remarks, which leads me to believe BOTH parties are complicite.
As it sits I will naturally steer clear of both companies technology.
giphy.gif

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vertex should have offered refunds as the product was not hardware complete. Vertex said they won't refund. I started a thread on Facebook in the group saltwater scammers. It's pretty interesting other manufacturers have spoken up against them. It appears Vertex in Germany is now closed. Look at Vertex past products and see how many they still have. It appears to me they have had a falling out with the companies that manufactured their products. I have received personal messages about them and asked not to share because rules are different over seas and Vertex will sue. Flavio Inzirillo appears to be Vertex defense guy. He has even commented to the manufacture responding about how Vertex already sued them in an attempt to keep the truth from being said.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has even commented to the manufacture responding about how Vertex already sued them in an attempt to keep the truth from being said.
So if Vertex sued them and won, who is in the wrong? C'mon really.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think they lost? You usually can't sue someone to stop them from telling the truth. You can however stop someone from telling a lie. What has Scitronics said to be sued for?

Blue Lip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think they lost? You usually can't sue someone to stop them from telling the truth. You can however stop someone from telling a lie. What has Scitronics said to be sued for?
You are in the Cerebra forum. Find the post that says they are sueing them. There are more than one reply from Vertex about Scitronics and court battles.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any truth to Vertex owned brands/products now in the hands of Scitronics or someone else ? I thought reefbuilders reported this happened. If this is true then they lost and have no cash to pay the bills.

Tobbe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i waited a couple of months for stuff from em from a german shop , and then i finally get respond that they gone bankruptcy also notice there homepage was down
i am not sure if this is 100% true but was the answer i got and they will start over

Back