What ever happened to the Vertex Cerebra?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than this thread and a private forum, is there anywhere else to find V7 information/specs/pics?

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it is worth, when it was presented to us we were the drivers of selling it as a Beta. It probably wasn't apparent to people who were not paying close attention but almost all of our competitors marketed and sold it as a full retail product and no mention of beta.

The only way I would approve us offering it was as a heavily discounted beta product. Not because I didn't believe in what Vertex was trying to achieve but simply because I know controllers are complex, used in a million unique configurations and anything this complex was bound to have some issues. The out of the box almost "never fail" standard is difficult to meet. That said I think we would have all liked to see a more rapid evolution from beta to alpha to retail ready.

As to the suggestion above, we would never offer a "beta" product again because I don't think the expectations of what you are getting could ever be clear enough to meet our standards. It has also made us more cautious of offering newcomers to the market as well. In this case, I don't mind being last to market. The Trailblazers, who want to discover new territories and risk getting shot in the back will probably have to buy from our competitors first.

So the big question is if we will sell the Cerebra when it comes out. I am not even going to spend much mind share on that question or any of the other companies who have been telling me for years they will have a controller. When one is in my hands the team will review it to the best of our ability and decide if it is ready to be offered to customers who trust us to look out for their interests. So if we do offer it, it will be because we believe it to be of good value and ready for retail ready use. Meaning as good or better than similar products in the market.

Yet another reason I consider you guys one of the best around. I'm sure you have had your share of grief over this debacle as well.

One comment I would make, though: When they first announced V1 and released the promotional videos, there were a lot of questions about the product which they had explanations for but for which their explanations didn't make sense. (e.g. they said they used a resistive touch screen rather than a capacitive one because resistive screens handle water better, yet we all know capacitive touch screens handle water just fine.) These discrepancies were one of the first flags to me that something was up, but BRS seemed to just parrot these talking points in the 52 weeks of reefing video, rather than more critically evaluating them. That was one of the few times I've been disappointed in a BRS video. Unfortunately, the questions ended up being legitimate.

Sleepydoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow - I just skimmed through the last few weeks of posts and am overwhelmed by the negative sniping going on.

If you look at my history, you'll see I'm certainly not a Vertex cheerleader, but I also try to be fair in my criticisms. What I see here is just constant ******** and bickering. People have every right to be upset, feel betrayed and have lost all trust and faith in Vertex. To be honest, after watching how poorly they handled the Cerebra, I'll likely never buy any Vertex products. And yes, Vertex is 99% responsible for creating this monster.

Still, making 50 posts complaining about the exact same thing doesn't really contribute to the forum or the community.

@FirstContact - in all honesty, I have to question your motives; after badgering @Tobe71, you back out of selling for dubious reasons.

@Tobe71 - your story seems a bit suspect as well; even for someone who has faith in the company.

Regardless of how poorly Vertex has handled things, how honest or dishonest they've been, the current V1 owners have little choice but to wait. Either a new controller will come out or it won't. At this point, if you're sitting on a V1, the best course of action is to consider it a loss, get over it, and if/when V2 comes out consider it a happy surprise.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend told me just yesterday there was a post on the forum asking the owners willing to test for bugs and they would not be receiving functional units? This is just bonkers.

Nah just ask Toby; I’m sure he will have a explanation answer for you

:confused:;Vomit

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tobe71

So what was the announcement my friend was talking about? I didn’t get many details, just that it sounded like they were now asking owners to bug test for them and the controllers wouldn’t be functional. So what does this do for release date?

Geraud_NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Cerebra specific forum has stopped functioning before the week end. Was there an announcement I might have missed there?

Tobe71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah just ask Toby; I’m sure he will have a explanation answer for you

:confused:;Vomit
Waiting on my test unit that was supposedly shipped Friday... I’ll update when I have something solid.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tobe71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My friend told me just yesterday there was a post on the forum asking the owners willing to test for bugs and they would not be receiving functional units? This is just bonkers.
They asked for volunteers for a limited release of 10 or so units to basically try to break them before a broader release. Dustin Cross has a unit that he’s been testing for some time now. They are taking cautiousness to a new level (I hope).
And at least the communication has been more honest and free flowing. Not what I was wanting to hear and far from what I’d expected. Live and learn. And time will tell... tick tock...
At least the expectations couldn’t be any lower. Ha!
And then their forum site goes down? It really is almost comical.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They asked for volunteers for a limited release of 10 or so units to basically try to break them before a broader release.
At least the expectations couldn’t be any lower. Ha!
And then their forum site goes down? It really is almost comical.
Tobe71, I hope all your efforts pay off at some point. What started out as outrage then shifted to Comical and is now just plain Sad that a company could string so many consumers along for this period of time. Then continue the same shenanigans.
Given the cost and technology involved I'm surprised a class action suite or the consumer protection agency hasn't stepped in.
Best of luck

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

• Other.

Back