What filter media are you using for IM Nuvo Fusion 10 gallon AIO?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I’ve just set up an IM Nuvo Fussion 10 gallon, and I’m just looking for suggestions about what filter media to run and how/where to put it. This is my first saltwater nano AIO tank, I’ve had sumps on my larger reef tanks in the past. I intentionally want to keep this tank simple and relatively easy, so I only plan on keeping softies and easy going corals and other inhabitants. I am also building a 40 gallon system that I hope to be my primary project.

I do have the InTank media basket, and I’d prefer to use that with some kind of filter pad or floss as I’d really prefer not to deal with socks.

I’m curious what, if anything, others are putting in the bottom-most horizontal chamber next to the return pump. I have read that this area can be a detritus trap, so rock rubble and the like would not be recommended. Is there anyway to prevent the build up of detritus in that section?

And maybe this should be a separate question, but I’m curious about running a refugium in an IM Fussion 10. I really don’t want a hang on ‘fuge, and although I know others have done it I kind of thought the general consensus was that the IM Fussion 10 was too small to accommodate an effective ‘fuge inside. However, I’m now looking at the larger second chamber, and I’m thinking it could be done. So I just want to ask, is it worth it to try a simple (just chaeto) ‘fuge on this tank? If yes, then any suggestions for a ‘fuge light? I should add, I would strongly prefer not to cut the black backing off the back of the tank for a light, so I’d be looking at something that hung over that second chamber, if there is such a light.

Thank you in advance for your help and suggestions!

-Fish Fan

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bagged seachem matrix does the same job as live rock rubble but is easy to pull out and clean. Thats what I use in my Nuvo 30. That way the media can be easily removed and the back can be cleaned out.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bagged seachem matrix does the same job as live rock rubble but is easy to pull out and clean. Thats what I use in my Nuvo 30. That way the media can be easily removed and the back can be cleaned out.
Hi! Thank you for your reply! Actually, I had read that some use Seachem Matrix in that section, but in my mind this doesn't seem much different than using rubble. For example, I could bag rubble and pull it out too, but I imagine it would get dirty really quickly. But you are saying you successfully use it, so perhaps I should reconsider the Matrix.

Can I ask what other media you use? Specifically, what, if anything, do you use for mechanical filtration?

Thank you for your help!

-FF

Daniel91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember to use media as needed, not because it’s common.
Read up on the benefits for the different types and see what your tank actually benefits from instead of just running something that’s popular.

I run carbon and purigen as needed but come to realize that my tank will do perfectly fine without purigen for long periods at a time.

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run poly filter floss on both sides of my nuvo 40. I have seachem matrix on both sides as well. I initially ran Purigen + Chemipure but it actually stripped my water too much. My Monti wasn't doing well. Since i removed the purigen + chemipure my coral looks much better. I also run a small bag of carbon & a skimmer in addition to the filter floss & seachem matrix. I will be putting in a small refugium in the back of one of my chambers to promote pod populations. Hope this helps !

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Thanks for the suggestions! To be fair, I've been keeping aquariums for pushing 40 years and I have a degree in bio and chem, so I have a pretty good understanding of what traditional media does. But as I mentioned, this is my first one of these little AIO's (my last reef was a 125 gallon), so I am quite literally looking for suggestions on what's popular. In particular, I'm looking for suggestions on mechanical filtration (pads or floss suggestions) and if it's worth trying to do a 'fuge on the second chamber on this tank. Additionally, I've read about people using products like Purigen and Matrix, as well as Chemipure Nano and others. Do these products really offer advantages over traditional media in these smaller AIO tanks? For example, is Matrix really easier to keep clean than rock rubble?

Maybe I should mention that my "old school" thinking would be to use some kind of floss or pad as my mechanical, I'd run Rox 0.8 carbon in a bag on a regular basis, I'd add gfo if/as needed. Ideally I'd throw some rock rubble in there too in the hopes of giving 'pods a place to reproduce, though, again, I've read bad things about using rubble in this tank.

I also want to mention that I am in absolutely no rush. I have had the rock cycling for months, I now have the tank setup with water, heater and pump. I plan to try a fishless cycle using bottle amonnia just as a learning experiement, and I plan on allowing my cycle plenty of time to complete, and the tank to start to stabilize, before I add much of anything for fish or corals. I have some decent testing equipment, and will see how things progress once the tank really gets going, but I was hoping for some suggestions on what I should look into.

Thank you again for your help and reply!

-FF

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run poly filter floss on both sides of my nuvo 40. I have seachem matrix on both sides as well. I initially ran Purigen + Chemipure but it actually stripped my water too much. My Monti wasn't doing well. Since i removed the purigen + chemipure my coral looks much better. I also run a small bag of carbon & a skimmer in addition to the filter floss & seachem matrix. I will be putting in a small refugium in the back of one of my chambers to promote pod populations. Hope this helps !
Hi! Thank you, I didn't see your reply sooner. Do you like using the filter floss? I would just use the cheap stuff from the sewing department, and remove and replace it often. I DO NOT like cleaning socks, lol! Do you feel like these products like Purigen and Chemipure are worth it? Do you use the Chemipure Blue or Nano (is there even a difference??)?

Thank you again for your help!

-Fish Fan

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a follow up, can 'pod live in and reproduce in the Seachem Matrix?

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help!

-FF

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! Thanks for the suggestions! To be fair, I've been keeping aquariums for pushing 40 years and I have a degree in bio and chem, so I have a pretty good understanding of what traditional media does. But as I mentioned, this is my first one of these little AIO's (my last reef was a 125 gallon), so I am quite literally looking for suggestions on what's popular. In particular, I'm looking for suggestions on mechanical filtration (pads or floss suggestions) and if it's worth trying to do a 'fuge on the second chamber on this tank. Additionally, I've read about people using products like Purigen and Matrix, as well as Chemipure Nano and others. Do these products really offer advantages over traditional media in these smaller AIO tanks? For example, is Matrix really easier to keep clean than rock rubble?

Maybe I should mention that my "old school" thinking would be to use some kind of floss or pad as my mechanical, I'd run Rox 0.8 carbon in a bag on a regular basis, I'd add gfo if/as needed. Ideally I'd throw some rock rubble in there too in the hopes of giving 'pods a place to reproduce, though, again, I've read bad things about using rubble in this tank.

I also want to mention that I am in absolutely no rush. I have had the rock cycling for months, I now have the tank setup with water, heater and pump. I plan to try a fishless cycle using bottle amonnia just as a learning experiement, and I plan on allowing my cycle plenty of time to complete, and the tank to start to stabilize, before I add much of anything for fish or corals. I have some decent testing equipment, and will see how things progress once the tank really gets going, but I was hoping for some suggestions on what I should look into.

Thank you again for your help and reply!

-FF

The biggest trick is going to keep your parameters stable in a tank that small. Evaporation can wreck havoc on your levels very quickly. Will you have an ATO, or be doing manual top off? I use the Smart ATO Micro which has a sensor and it is the size of a dime. Personally i felt like purigen/chemipure hurt my SPS/Zoas because i was testing near zero phosphate/nitrate no matter how much i fed. The monti got color back once those were removed (dont really know which one did it). I also have the same questions on whether its worth putting in a refugium, however I've gotten a pretty good consensus that its never bad to have an area for pods to reproduce. I just bought the light and will likely run it in reverse at night for a few hours a day. Just keep in mind that space is scarce back there, especially in a 10 gallon (I have the 40).

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Thank you, I didn't see your reply sooner. Do you like using the filter floss? I would just use the cheap stuff from the sewing department, and remove and replace it often. I DO NOT like cleaning socks, lol! Do you feel like these products like Purigen and Chemipure are worth it? Do you use the Chemipure Blue or Nano (is there even a difference??)?

Thank you again for your help!

-Fish Fan

This is the filter floss I use. I change it 2x per week. Its pretty cheap on amazon and you get 3 sheets (This will probably last you months with your tank lol). I used Chemipure ELITE. But as i mentioned in a previous reply I think for ME they did more harm then good. I just have some carbon in there now, and if my phosphate gets high then i plan to just use GFO for a short time or do water change.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest trick is going to keep your parameters stable in a tank that small. Evaporation can wreck havoc on your levels very quickly. Will you have an ATO, or be doing manual top off? I use the Smart ATO Micro which has a sensor and it is the size of a dime. Personally i felt like purigen/chemipure hurt my SPS/Zoas because i was testing near zero phosphate/nitrate no matter how much i fed. The monti got color back once those were removed (dont really know which one did it). I also have the same questions on whether its worth putting in a refugium, however I've gotten a pretty good consensus that its never bad to have an area for pods to reproduce. I just bought the light and will likely run it in reverse at night for a few hours a day. Just keep in mind that space is scarce back there, especially in a 10 gallon (I have the 40).
Thanks again for your help! I agree that it's never bad to give the 'pods a place to multiply, and if I could get some Chaeto in there too they would populate that, in my experience. What light did you get?

A huge reason I am doing this tank is as an experiment, and part of that is I want to try to build my own DIY controller using the Reef-Pi project. It's something that really interests me, and I've been following along with that project off and on for close to two years now. The Reef-Pi controller can handle top offs, and if for some reason it fails I have Tunze Osmolator 3155 I can install. So yes, I will have an ATO, I think you have to on a 10 gallon.

And clearly, you're suggesting that zero nitrates and phosphates was detrimental and that many of your corals colored up under low levels of these nutrients. That is more or less what I'm shooting for.

Any further thoughts?

-FF

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the link to the mechanical media! That was just the kind of thing I was imaging, and I'll gladly take your suggestion.

And I should have mentioned, that on 10 gallons I can do a water change any time and bring things back in order. So I'm not worried about any of this, just looking to hear what others have been successful with.

Thanks again, @Calpoly2103 !

-Fish Fan

Last edited:

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! Thank you for your reply! Actually, I had read that some use Seachem Matrix in that section, but in my mind this doesn't seem much different than using rubble. For example, I could bag rubble and pull it out too, but I imagine it would get dirty really quickly. But you are saying you successfully use it, so perhaps I should reconsider the Matrix.

Can I ask what other media you use? Specifically, what, if anything, do you use for mechanical filtration?

Thank you for your help!

-FF
Rubble would work fine. I think Matrix has a little more surface area. You can just bag the rubble, pull it when you do a water change and rinse it in the wc bucket, then siphon the chamber.

As far as media I also run Carbon and purigen. I use gfo as needed.

Calpoly2103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rubble would work fine. I think Matrix has a little more surface area. You can just bag the rubble, pull it when you do a water change and rinse it in the wc bucket, then siphon the chamber.

As far as media I also run Carbon and purigen. I use gfo as needed.
What kind of coral do you have? Just out of curiosity how has the purigen affected your parameters? Thanks

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a follow up, can 'pod live in and reproduce in the Seachem Matrix?

Thanks guys, really appreciate the help!

-FF
If you want pods in there it should be a coarse rubble or pond matrix in a lose net media bag. I use a finer bag because it's what I had.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! Thanks for the help! I too would like to know more about how the Purigen is affecting your tank. I’ve never tried the Mattix, but if I can bag it and remove it maybe I’ll give it a shot. I want to try some new things on this tank, so why not?

Thanks again!

-FF

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! Thanks for the help! I too would like to know more about how the Purigen is affecting your tank. I’ve never tried the Mattix, but if I can bag it and remove it maybe I’ll give it a shot. I want to try some new things on this tank, so why not?

Thanks again!

-FF

I like the Matrix but I have no quantifiable way to say its better than Marine Pure or rubble. It's just something I have had success with over time.

Purigen is a absorption resin but again, I have no way to quantify its effectiveness. I use as part of an overall nutrient export plan. A small bag in my media rack doesnt take very much space since Purigen is super efficient.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep it simple!!! Floss and a bag of carbon is all I use in my IM tanks.

I don't use 'matrix' in any of my tropical reef tanks and they do wonderful. I have live rock for that purpose. Some media's have been shown to increase aluminum in the tank, idk if that is bad or not.. but I don't need that either ;)

Remember, nutrients are NOT bad, especially if you plan on simple corals, they will do BETTER with nutrients. Don't add everything and its grandmother then wonder why your growth is slow or your zoa's look unhappy.

I see a lot of newcomers to the hobby add this and this that and this and that... it is 10 gallons, once the rock is added, it will be a lot less, do a weekly water change and let your corals grow and eat up your nutrients as your filter.

A fuge I think is a fine idea if you like them, they will give a safe spot for pods and other microorganisms. Lighting it from the top probably won't be very effective, all the chaeto/macro on the bottom wouldn't get enough light, this is why people scrape the black off the glass.

Remember you can add more 'stuff' at any time. You don't need it all day one, start simple and add later IF it is needed and have patience.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys! Again, my gut feeling was some simple mechanical media and some high quality carbon, gfo if needed. I am intrigued by the matrix in the same way that I’m intrigued (though put off by the cost off) those MarinePure blocks and the like. I have always just placed some extra rocks and rubble in my sump and/or ‘fuge, but I am curious if some of these products we’re discussing here are worth it versus traditional media and methods. I also fully understand that I don’t want zero nitrates and phosphates, especially for soft corals. But, I don’t want an algae farm either ;-)

Again, my tank hasn’t even started its cycle yet, and I’m in no hurry at all, so I will see how things develop. The whole purpose of this small tank was to try some new things, so I don’t mind experimenting a little along the way. I ordered some of the filter pads suggested, should be here tomorrow, and I hope to start the fish-less cycle this weekend.

Thanks very much for all the help!

-Greg

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys! Again, my gut feeling was some simple mechanical media and some high quality carbon, gfo if needed. I am intrigued by the matrix in the same way that I’m intrigued (though put off by the cost off) those MarinePure blocks and the like. I have always just placed some extra rocks and rubble in my sump and/or ‘fuge, but I am curious if some of these products we’re discussing here are worth it versus traditional media and methods. I also fully understand that I don’t want zero nitrates and phosphates, especially for soft corals. But, I don’t want an algae farm either ;-)

Again, my tank hasn’t even started its cycle yet, and I’m in no hurry at all, so I will see how things develop. The whole purpose of this small tank was to try some new things, so I don’t mind experimenting a little along the way. I ordered some of the filter pads suggested, should be here tomorrow, and I hope to start the fish-less cycle this weekend.

Thanks very much for all the help!

-Greg
I wouldn't fixate on Matrix. Rubble is fine. For a nano I find matrix to be cheap enough so I use it instead.

Filtration can be super simple, especially if you are doing regular water changes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back