• HOB Filter Only

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • HOB Protein Skimmer Only

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Both HOB filter & Skimmer

Votes: 9 69.2%
  • None Just WCs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • HOB Refugium w/ other filter specify which one.

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all this is my very first post here on R2R...I'm a total noobie to saltwater but have kept freshwater for over 20 years. After lots of reading I feel like I'm totally lost about the filtration. Which is kind of embarrassing since I already have some fish keeping experience. I guess that's okay because I love to learn new things.

Well I'm planning on setting up a 29 gallon tank without a sump...only fish for now then would like keep some easy coral likes softies. My confusion is about the type of filtration I need. Some say use an HOB like Aquaclear 50 or 70, others say you dont need a HOB filter you should instead get a HOB protein skimmer and that's it, then others say you need both, some say that protein skimmer affect the corals, then finally some say you don't need anything complicated just water changes.

Soooooo can someone please help me ?

P-Dub

The ocean is open to all, merciful to none.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure thing. It all depends on how far down the proverbial rabbit hole you want to travel. My thoughts are to get the very best of whatever will best meet your future goals and desires. I, personally would just go HOB with diligent water changes, only realizing that will become your quarantine tank when you step up to the reef at some point in the future. Should be all you need to start. Some good, solid reading to prep you can be found here.

The Supreme Guide To Setting Up A Saltwater Reef Aquarium

Read all stickies in the

New to Saltwater & Reef Aquariums? Post Here

Pick and choose what to incorporate with an eye to the future reef tank you will eventually get, ;)

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's only as complicated as you make it. You can definitely set up your filtration exactly like your freshwater tanks and be fine (with the addition of live rock in the tank). Or you can spend thousands on all kinds of complicated gadgets.

Fwiw I really like having a protein skimmer on my tanks.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For HoB filtration, mainly three things, HoB filter, skimmer, and refugium. They do different things, and choose according to your needs and goals. There is not necessarily right or wrong.

HoB filter is mostly for bio filtration capacity, secondarily for mechanical filtration, and run media like carbon. Bio filtration can be taken care of by live rock and sand bed. So unless you're starting with dry rock bare bottom, the need here is not big.

Skimmer is for removing organic waste and gas exchange. This is probably the most effort effective one. It can remove like 60% of dissolved organic. It's relatively easy to setup and tune in. Won't require much tinkering. If you can only pick one, I'll pick this.

HoB refugium can be a good choice to took out the rest of the nutrient. Actually algae filtration is one of the few ways to strip the tank empty of nutrients (not a good thing actually). But it's not as fool proof to setup and run one. So I won't recommend it for the first time.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an HOB on my 20g reef, simply because I'm still in highschool and don't have much space. For a 29g I would recommend one as well, but if you can get a sump/refugium I would suggest you get one. You can also get an AIO (All in One) tank, where the filtration is in a back compartment.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
You need three elements for successful breakdown of waste
a- Chemical filtration
b- mechanical filtration
c- biological filtration

Utilize them all. Depending on who you talk to, and how many people you talk to, there are quite a few methods, and just as many opinions, for setting up a reef tank. Keep this in mind - the essential components are; lighting, live rock, water flow and some form of filtration. Some form of wet-dry filter such as a refugium is extremely effective in converting ammonia ( NH4 ) and nitrite ( NO2 ) into the lesser toxic form of nitrate ( NO3 ). Aiding the filtration process is a protein skimmer or foam fractionator. Essentially a protein skimmer helps remove compounds from the water using heavy aeration to drive organics out of the water thus lessening what the bacteria need to deal with.
Choosing a filtration system for your tank can seem like a daunting task. There are so many different types of filters (Wet/Dry, Berlin Method, Jaulbert Method, Canister, UGF, Fluid, Protein Skimmer, etc.) to choose from, it can be mind boggling. Fortunately, there is a fairly simple method for selecting the right filter system for your tank.
Many reefers prefer the convenience of Hang-On-Tank equipment or have no choice. If you have the room (usually less than 8") on either the back or sides of your aquarium, you will find this an ideal place to hang all of your new tank toys. Almost every type of saltwater aquarium equipment can be found in a Hang-On-Tank style.

The links below will give you an idea of what Hang-On-Tank equipment is available on the market :

Protein skimmers
Canister units
Refugiums
Wet/dry units
CPR backpacks
Pumps

jft

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used them all I mean filters and skimmers and sumps .Knowledge is the key. Currently Using eheim canisters One aquaclear 110 and tunze skimmer. Easy setup no expensive sumps pumps overflows etc Have over 25 years doing all types of tanks, made my mistakes but on my new 125 everything is doing great. No more sumps and worries about something going wrong like overflow failures and leaks, I have had them. Prefer eheim professional canisters and Tunze skimmers. German quality and good service! Had 2217 previously for over 25 years w/o problems. Just MY opinion.

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29g anemone tank. I use a HOB filter to put carbon and such in it. Mine has a UV light, but no idea if it actually does any good. I don't have parasites and my water is clear, so no complaints. I have abubble magnus HOB skimmer. It's almost 2 years old and still works.

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used them all I mean filters and skimmers and sumps .Knowledge is the key. Currently Using eheim canisters One aquaclear 110 and tunze skimmer. Easy setup no expensive sumps pumps overflows etc Have over 25 years doing all types of tanks, made my mistakes but on my new 125 everything is doing great. No more sumps and worries about something going wrong like overflow failures and leaks, I have had them. Prefer eheim professional canisters and Tunze skimmers. German quality and good service! Had 2217 previously for over 25 years w/o problems. Just MY opinion.
Yeah I originally was thinking of using a canister but not really like cleaning the canisters on my 125 gallon planted tank, so decided to get the HOB filter just seemed easier. I went with a Seachem Tidal 55....I haven't set it up yet still working on getting the tank setup

OP
OP
JL15219

JL15219

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29g anemone tank. I use a HOB filter to put carbon and such in it. Mine has a UV light, but no idea if it actually does any good. I don't have parasites and my water is clear, so no complaints. I have abubble magnus HOB skimmer. It's almost 2 years old and still works.
Yeah that's what I went with a HOB filter (Seachem Tidal 55) hope it works as good as they say lol

Big_Mclargehuge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Biocube 32 AIO (all in one. false wall with three separate compartments). My only mechanical filtration are filter pads. I also run a bag of carbon. I'd like to get a skimmer at some point but filter pads, carbon, live rock, and water changes have been fine for me. Good luck!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back