What fish are more likely to be caught using cyanide?

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I had to take a guess:

1. Cryptic / shy fish

2. Very popular fish with bright colors

3. Show sized fish, juveniles and young adults less appealing

4. Certain kinds of fish (dwarf angels, some large angels, Clown Triggers etc.)

Less likely:

1. Not so popular fish or fish average in popularity, or fish that are very common, not spectacular / particularly popular, and can be caught in large quantities without cyanide

2. “Average” looking, common fish

3. Open water swimmers

4. Fish easy to net

5. Very slow fish

OP
OP
Zionas

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If Criteria #1-4 are mostly / all fulfilled (at least 3), I generally avoid that species unless it’s caught in Australia, Hawaii, the Indian Ocean, or the South / Central Pacific. Philippines, Indonesia, Vietnam will be a no go for me when it comes to that species.

In the future I’d be willing to pay higher prices for fish caught by Japanese collectors (not really a thing), but one surprising thing is sometimes even developed Northeast Asia uses cyanide. There are some cyanide fishermen in Taiwan.

It really is an insidious practice. I read a study that says there are children in coastal villages in PH and IND who are dying due to ingesting cyanide caught food fish.

Where I am from sometimes there is Cantonese cuisine that makes use of very expensive food fish like certain groupers and the Napoleon Wrasse (蘇梅). The majority of these are not suitable home aquarium fish but are caught using cyanide nonetheless. I’ve never been a fan of the exquisite, “haute” kind of Cantonese cuisine (the street food and duck or soy sauce chicken with rice is awesome) but knowing this makes me even less supportive of the practice. It’s not just fish that are getting killed / at risk.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back