What fish do you like you can’t keep in a reef tank?

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a clown trigger and harlequin tusk. Tusk is great with corals but loves all inverts. Literally put in some crabs in the tank from the back, by the time I walked around to the front he had a mouthful. He literally spit out 3-4 shells. I would love a regal, majestic, and blueface angels. Thinking about a 300+ gallon tank to move the CT to and get those angels. Would be a soft coral tank.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
haha love the whale shark :p
so wish frog fish where reef safe! weedy sea dragon OMG yess!!!!

Frog fish are definitely reef safe. I have one in my tank now and he looks awesome around the corals. Frog fish are not other fish safe. He/she will eat. Them. All.

I am now googling a weedy sea dragon.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Frog fish are definitely reef safe. I have one in my tank now and he looks awesome around the corals. Frog fish are not other fish safe. He/she will eat. Them. All.

Oh yea! I’ve seen those before. Agreed that would be awesome!

Raptor72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naso Tangs!
6735530a663efb40b27a14cf80974084.jpg

I’ve gone through 6 on an established tank and can’t keep them for longer than 4 months. One day they’re eating like pigs and the next they’re gone [emoji35]. Many people blame it on Cyanide poisoning when harvesting them.

WMR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at @JumboShrimp puffer in another thread and thought that was an awesome fish. Not addressing reef safe or not.

But It got me thinking about all the fish I have had but can’t now keep in a reef.

My coolest fish was back in the 80’s. It was a bi-colored parrot fish. Most awesome fish I ever had. No way it goes in a reef. I actually have been thinking about FOWLR just to get one.

Anyone else have a fish they would like to keep but can’t?

upload_2019-7-7_20-48-20.jpeg
I had a bicolor parrot back in the day, bought him as juvenile, got him to grow to transitioning phase, then gave him to a friend, he was cool & I should have kept him, but, was thinning out the tank

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It would eat my lionfish or my lion would eat it. It would also eat my other fish.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That price for the set, or each?
Just the blacktip lol. On fishybusiness.

You can get bluelines for under $100, but they grow to almost 2 feet and eat everything you love.

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a clown trigger and harlequin tusk. Tusk is great with corals but loves all inverts. Literally put in some crabs in the tank from the back, by the time I walked around to the front he had a mouthful. He literally spit out 3-4 shells. I would love a regal, majestic, and blueface angels. Thinking about a 300+ gallon tank to move the CT to and get those angels. Would be a soft coral tank.
I literally got my 220 for a blueface angel and a tusk

Beefyreefy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When I was still just a planted FW tank guy, I was always fascinated by the lunare wrasse I’d see on the saltwater side of of my LFS. When I finally started my own reef tank, I sadly discovered that they are like a serial killer in a reef tank, lol! Some day I’m going to set up a tank where I can get one but I’ll probably have to wait until I retire, because my wife will kill ME if I start another one now (have 4 tanks running now)! I still always look for them whenever I’m in a fish store..

Back