What fish do you like you can’t keep in a reef tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'd love to have a flame angel but I'm too scared it will eat my corals.
I have 3 tanks with a flame in each one and they bother absolutely nothing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Found out the hard way- Passer angel who took it upon itself to devour almost $500 in euphelia ( wiped out all hammer and frogspawn !!)

Last edited:

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My list of fish I can't have.
  • Clown trigger
  • Frog fish
  • Leafy sea dragon
  • Whale shark
  • Octopus
  • Porcupine puffer
  • Mantis shrimp
  • Sailfish
  • Six gilled shark/Sleeper shark

Whale shark. Lol

You’d need a tank the size of the one in the Atlanta Aquarium. They’re awesome though!

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the blacktip lol. On fishybusiness.

You can get bluelines for under $100, but they grow to almost 2 feet and eat everything you love.

Do you have the link?

YourFishStore has one. They say not covered under arrive alive guarantee. Lol. How the heck do they ship it?!
I’d like to see FedEx deliver that to someone’s front door.

They are awesome to dive with.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for butterflies, their shape, color patterns, relative peaceful nature to nonconspecifics.
still think if ever had a huge system would attempt a school of barberfish and stay away from anything fleshy(probably still would end up fowlr lol)
i have had luck with dwarf angels, though are not as peaceful to tank mates.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always liked panther groupers. We had one in a predator tank and that little guy had personality. While feeding the eel, the little grouper snatched the food straight from the eels mouth and went to his spot and chewed that piece of food for a while as it was to big. The eel looked liked it didn't know what happened! The grouper grows so fast but he now resides in a large tank for viewing at a seafood restaurant. Ironic.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always liked panther groupers. We had one in a predator tank and that little guy had personality. While feeding the eel, the little grouper snatched the food straight from the eels mouth and went to his spot and chewed that piece of food for a while as it was to big. The eel looked liked it didn't know what happened! The grouper grows so fast but he now resides in a large tank for viewing at a seafood restaurant. Ironic.
IMO, only my opinion, panther grouper is an ugly adult fish. Very beautiful as a poka-dot baby.
I like a large adult Clown Trigger. This fish looks like a brightly painted wooden fish.
Clown_trigger_-_Balistoides_Conspicullum_2_900_600_70.JPG

Last edited:

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree its ugly but the fish was very fun and interactive. I was stating I like it for the personality, not a centerpiece. Some fish can be ugly but it was just a fun experience, for us at least

CoralBuddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Power Blue. Tried three times, lost them all. Love this fish, think the colors are stunning but killed three in three years. Its funny tho, I have a Powder Brown for three years now and he is fine. Makes no sense.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the link?

YourFishStore has one. They say not covered under arrive alive guarantee. Lol. How the heck do they ship it?!
I’d like to see FedEx deliver that to someone’s front door.

They are awesome to dive with.
I don’t see it on there anymore, I posted that while ago. But in general large fish shipments like black tip sharks are airport pick up.

Back