What Fish do you recommend for a Red Sea Reefer 450

kzitzman1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of letting my new Red Sea Reefer 450 cycle before adding fish and coral. The system has a 92 gal aquarium with a 24 gal sump and a 3.5 gal keep fill tank. The aquarium is 5' long and 20" deep from front to back. I've put in live sand and 100lbs or live rock. The brown algae has started and is going strong, so the cycling is going well and it won't be too long before I can add livestock.

I wanted to reach out to the group and ask opinions on what fish to stock with. My question is based on multiple factors. First, this will be a reef tank, so any fish I add need to be reef safe. Second, I already know I plan to add the following peaceful/non-aggressive fish: Midas Blenny, Purple Firefish, various Goby fish, some peaceful Wrasse (I know there are huge Wrasse fans here so any suggestions on what Wrasse to add is much appreciated) and a Pygmy Cherub Angel. So, I need fish that will be compatible with those peaceful fish. I am not adding Clowns because of my past experience with them turning into bullies. I'd love to add a yellow Tang, but I fear that will be a bully?! I also love fish with personalities and would love to hear what fish you have or have had that meet what I'm looking for.

What I'm hoping to be able to add are some fish that have good color and like to be swimmers (thus the desire for the yellow Tang). The Gobies and Firefish are great fish, but aren't going to be the type to get out and swim around as much. Any suggestions and recommendations are GREATLY appreciated. I know that each fish is unique and that what is typically aggressive can sometimes be peaceful, and vice versa. But I want to best avoid selecting a fish that will then stress and torture and bully other fish. Even if that means avoiding a fish I'd otherwise love to have.

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yellow-Tail Damsels are sweet as can be from my experience and love to swim around. They are also some of the hardiest fish on the planet. Good luck killing one. Their color is incredible. The way their electric blue shimmers in the light. For an inexpensive fish I think it's a great addition to any tank. A smart, curious, robust fish.

OP
OP
K

kzitzman1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! That is a great suggestion! I really appreciate your advice and recommendation!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back