What fish enjoy swimming through the whole tank and the rock structures? My clownfish act like hermits...

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish only swim in 2 corners of my tank. I know they're not there to entertain me all day, but they sorta are....lol! Any who, I have a 32 gallon tank and eventually will get 2 more fish. What fish love to swim around the WHOLE tank and/or enjoy swimming through the rock structures?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance!

THillPSU

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish only swim in 2 corners of my tank. I know they're not there to entertain me all day, but they sorta are....lol! Any who, I have a 32 gallon tank and eventually will get 2 more fish. What fish love to swim around the WHOLE tank and/or enjoy swimming through the rock structures?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance!
I have two Court Jester Goby's I purchased a year or so ago from AlgaeBarn. They are always out and about and visible. Neat looking little fish too.

Upvote 0

SuaSponte

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses are a great choice if you want an active fish, but I would only recommend two particular wrasses in a 32g tank: Pink Streaked Wrasse, and Tanka's Possum Wrasse. Both are mild mannered compared to most of their brethren. I think six-line wrasses are cool fish, but in a tank that small you risk it turning into a homicidal maniac. I currently have a pink streaked wrasse and he is an awesome little fish -- I purchased him already quarantined from @Dr. Reef (I highly recommend Dr. Reef's quarantined fish).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

katonge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will my Orchid Dottyback get along with either the wrasse or the Court Jester Goby In my 13.5 Fluval?

Upvote 0

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 damsels. Wrasse
Chromis
Barracuda...
D

My chromies got my clowns to start exploring and swimming all over. Previously, they stuck to their little nest zone clearing sand all day. They still return to their best, but they explore and swim about for several minutes and then return, or they take turns.

If you have a well established population of copepods, a my dragonette spends all day hunting like the six line wrasse. Mesmerizing.

Upvote 0

Bob LI

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sixline wrasse that is always on the move and loves to go through the coral. He did hate the lawnmower blennie and chased him all around the 150 gal tank, but gets along fine with everything else. So does the flame angel (never has touched the coral). I also had a few Allen's Damsels (neon damsels) that are beautiful and not too aggressive.

Attachments

• Allen's Damsel.jpg
    Allen's Damsel.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 42
  • Wrasse damsels.jpg
    Wrasse damsels.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 39
Upvote 0

Icedog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a midas blenny that is very active and fun to watch. Plus, he'll sometimes hide in the rock and just peek out at me - if I stare back at him hard enough, he'll retreat back into the rock!

Upvote 0

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
neon dottyback in my tank swims everywhere, chromis and royal gramma as well. do NOT however put damsels in a small tank that already has established clowns. They will fight and either the clowns or damsels will die. I learned that the hard way in my 46 gl. Another lesson learned recently, larger clowns can be quite aggressive with new tank mates. recently got a coral beauty similar coloring to 1 i lost in a tank crash a couple years ago. A few days later I noticed the female clown beating it up, traded in the clowns for smaller ones. Coral beauty died 4 days later from injuries. now the wife is mad cause I traded away "her" clowns. Can't win for losin, lol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
32 gal Cube tank is too small for all but the smallest wrasse, too small for angel. That leave Orchid Dottyback and Royal Gramma as active all level swimmer. Some of the Blenny, I like the Black line Blenny, Meiacanthus nigrolineatus. Swissguard basset is very beautiful. Yellow head jawfish (more of localized sand level but very interesting fish). Yellowbanded possum wrasse and ... ....

Upvote 0

Leo_ian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
neon dottyback in my tank swims everywhere, chromis and royal gramma as well. do NOT however put damsels in a small tank that already has established clowns. They will fight and either the clowns or damsels will die. I learned that the hard way in my 46 gl. Another lesson learned recently, larger clowns can be quite aggressive with new tank mates. recently got a coral beauty similar coloring to 1 i lost in a tank crash a couple years ago. A few days later I noticed the female clown beating it up, traded in the clowns for smaller ones. Coral beauty died 4 days later from injuries. now the wife is mad cause I traded away "her" clowns. Can't win for losin, lol
It depends on what damsels peaceful ones should be find

Upvote 0

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the neon goby plus your clowns will get a cleaning
+1 vote blue neon goby (or two)

While these fish are very small, the are very curious and always out. Thought they'd get lost in my 180g but they like to look at me maybe more than I look at them. They are the 'puppy dogs' of my tank - swim out to greet! Every once in a blue moon they follow a clown around perhaps to clean it, but my clowns don't want any part of being cleaned by either neon blue goby. Only downside is they have about 2 year lifespan :( (hoping mine live WAY longer!)

Upvote 0

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back