What fish food is best for the overall health of your corals? Is dry bad? Is frozen bad?

What type of fish food causes more algae problems?

• Dry

Votes: 254 35.3%
  • Frozen

Votes: 239 33.2%
  • Both the same

Votes: 204 28.4%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 22 3.1%

• Total voters

chaoticreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose "Other" because frozen and dry are not equal but I feed both. Dry is more dense with phosphates but frozen is more expense so I only feed it once per day.

Fish:
PE Mysis pellets and Seaweed Extreme pellets (both mixed together) for the first daily feeding.
LRS Reef Frenzy for the 2nd daily feeding.

Coral:
Continuum's Coral Exponential (if you want to call it food (Amino Acids)) every day
Alternate #1 (every other day)(for mainly SPS):
- BW's Reef Blizzard - S
- Continuum's Micro-Blast
Alternate #2 (on the opposite every other day) (Mainly for softies):
- BW's Reef Blizzard - O
- BW's Phytochrom

PS I carbon dose to keep my nutrients in check.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 120DT mixed pretty evenly with SPS and LPS. I don't intentionally feed any of the corals anything. I feed the fish almost exclusively NLS pellets, a mix of 5. and 1mm. It's the only dry food I've used in well over 20 years. Probably once a week, I'll switch it to Rod's Original or spirolina enriched brine. I do make sure my rock flower anemone gets a chunk then. If I think about it, I may hang some Nori on a clip for the Tomini Tang, but as fat and happy as it is I don't very often.

The bottom line, at least IMO, is that it doesn't matter too much what type of food you feed, but rather the amount and the frequency of your water changes.

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO we should just concentrate on which food is best for the fish instead of trying to decide which fish food is best for the corals and then feed that to the fish. IMO the corals will benefit the most from whatever is the most nutritious diet for fish.

For fish: First, I would avoid diets that are comprised of only one "animal" source, like just mysis or just brine or just clam. All animals need a balanced diet and no one food type will come close to fulfilling this requirement. Nobody knows for sure what the perfect mix is but most companies that make pellets or flakes are probably producing an acceptable balanced diet (extrapolated from studies from the fish farming industry) and I believe these should always be part of the diet.

But I also think that a balanced frozen food diet is important too. I've been making my own, very similar to the recent video that BRS came out with (although theirs is more complex and probably better than mine). Mine consists of a mixture of "human-grade" shrimp, clams, crab, scallops and salmon. To that I add finely cut nori, selcon, astaxanthin and a ground dog vitamin all mixed in a gelatin base and frozen in zip lock bags.

I feed the frozen concoction twice a day and a pellet/flake mix in between at least once a day. I've kept fish alive for over 20 years with this diet combo.

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own using mostly chopped clams. I also add some nori, fish eggs and a pinch of Reef Roids. I feed my fish every day and start off with live black worms then a small portion of the food I make with a cube of either mysis or brine shrimp.

r1YLPB1m.jpg

BigSkyRich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen Mysis + selcon and everything eats it.
New life spectrum pellets work great to, have dragonet eating them and a aptasia eating filefish so they must be tasty. This and a sheet of nori per week
I assume that dragnet is captive bred?

frank1203

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO dry food produces more nutrients than the frozen. I’ve been using frozen food and pellets and I notice that whenever I feed pellets that’s when I get higher nitrates. That’s just my opinion.

ReefBeta

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish food is never a cause of algae problem for me. The nutrient export we run nowadays are more often too efficient anyway. If there is algae problem, changing to different food or change amount of feeding rarely bring much impact.

On the other hand, frozen food is a lot superior that dry food for coral health, because I believe the juice from melted food is the best food for the coral.

tim stark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LRS - I am kinda surprised they don't market it more as coral food too since they generally have a pretty good marketing program but add it to your tank and watch your LPS turn nearly inside out. If you crush it up there are tons of tiny particles that nearly any sized coral polyp can and will consume.

Once a week I mix about 1-2 cups of water with a big chunk of LRS along with various coral foods and target feed everything in my tank.

Look at the little discosoma mushrooms reaction on the left.

what is LRS?

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is the first time I will be answering the poll question before I vote. I am having to think about this as I answer

1. What do you think is the best food for your fish but has the least amount of negative impact on algae growth? Dry Food or Frozen Food?

IMHO the best food I use is EZ Masstick. Just about everything in my tank eats it. Even my Mandarin and corals as the messier eating fish get particles floating through the water column. Albeit only a tiny bit.

This food it easy to add supplements to as you just kneed it in.

2. What does your food list look like? List the brands and types of foods for us!

TDO pellets (in my auto feeder)
Nori, from the grocery store
A variety of frozen foods: Krill, mysis, pods etc.
Krill for larger mouths
Reef chili
A lot of different liquid foods
Frozen shrimp from the grocery, chopped finely
Different sea weeds
And more I am forgetting about.

I really like to feed a vast, variety of non-terrestrial foods. I want my animals to have what would be the closest to natural I can give them. It costs more but they are worth it.

What fish foods cause algae?

None, if properly used. This hobby is all about observation and (IMO) self discipline, to keep up with water parameters and live stock. I like to play chess. Always have. It is not my hobby as I do not spend a significant amount of time with it. I dabble in chess. Reefing is not a hobby to dabble in. This may offend, but if you want to dabble with fish, go fresh water community fish.

Enjoy the hobby!

saltnut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed the fish everyday. I alternate with frozen, LRS, marine cuisine, brine shrimp and mysis shrimp. A couple times a week I feed a little flake food before the frozen because the clowns, fang blenny and purple dotty back just really like it. My YWG will not eat flake at all.
I also feed the coral directly and broadcast feed the tank a few times a week with marine snow and reef roids.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not feed any dry food to any creature except my worms. :cool:

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species is in question? There is no "right" answer. If anything there are mostly wrong answers. Since the corals we're throwing together come from very different environments and individual species can have different microbiomes and will certainly have very different feeding stratagies or prefferences.

Julbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot find any definitive research so I am going out on a limb here.

Bearing in mind that corals get the majority (70+%) of their food via their zooxanthellae’s photosynthesis, here we’re discussing the other part.

In the wild, the polyps will indeed catch plankton, organic particles and absorb dissolved organics. Fish poop is a great source of coral food in our tanks. Coming more directly from (undigested) fish food we’re focusing on small particles and dissolved organics.

The dry pellets will dissolve faster and be more available to corals as dissolved organics before it’s caught by your filtration system. The frozen food on the other hand should get you more small particles if they land on a polyp.

So imo both should work but the pellets may provide more consistently rather than relying on luck of the flow.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was making up my own recipe of products - hikari pellets (herb and carn), HPD, nori, mysis shrimp, selecon and garlic along with some BRS Reef Chil. All high quality products and I wasn't overfeeding (only one 1/2" cube a day for 7-8 nano fish) but still had a algae problem even though nutrients were low. I could manage with clean up and WC but a bit unsightly and annoying

After managing a dino outbreak - I found I still had more algae that I was happy with (don't a mind a little). Even though my PO4 was still managed to around .05 and nitrate at 3. So I tired going with just rinsed off frozen mysis. After a few weeks and some algae cleanups everything became much nicer - very little visible algae (GHA), but did have a little harder algae on the glass but very happy.

I was concerned about the nutrition of just rinsed mysis shrimp as the diet. I started feeding both pellets a few times per week soaked in Selcon and/or Garlic (yeah, I know - nothing proven about either but it makes me feel better). After a month, seems to be a nice balance. Haven't had to do any PO4 management yet (slowly rising .01/week) and algae is under control. Haven't started coral - may not. They look great so far.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. What do you think is the best food for your fish but has the least amount of negative impact on algae growth? Dry or frozen food?

Either.
It depends on how you feed, how much you feed and what your system can handle.
Dry food tends to be much more nutrient dense. Dry food tends to have much more N and P but you need way less dry food to keep your fish healthy. Feed only a very small amount and your fish will be just fine and they will get all the nutrients they need.
Frozen has less N and P but is not as densely packed with nutrients requiring you to have to feed more causing more wasted food settling out and decomposing.
Feed whichever food appropriately and you should have good results with minimal algae growth.

2. What does your food list look like? List the brands any types of food for us!

I use my own DIY food that is great for fish and corals.
I chop up all the frozen meaty foods, then mix in the dry foods and liquid foods. Put it all into large zip lock bags and place in freezer.
MEATY PROTEIN
Frozen shrimp
Frozen scallops
Frozen mussels
Frozen cod
Frozen tuna
Frozen clams
Frozen silversides
Frozen squid

DRY FOOD
New life spectrum marine pellet food
New life spectrum algae max pellet food
New life spectrum jumbo fish formula
Marineland Bio Blend carnivore diet pellets
Freeze dried mysis shrimp
Freeze dried krill
BRS Reef Chili
Two little fishies sea veggies mixed seaweed flakes
Calanus
Paracoccus
Spirulina

LIQUID FOOD
Selcon
Zoe
Brightwell AminOmega HUFA omega
Brightwell Coral Amino
Kent Garlic

This food lasts my for over a year.

3. What fish food causes algae?

Any fish food used in excess can cause algae and other problems.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back