What fish to put in a 45 gal

Eli57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I have a 45 gal Red Sea Max e170 with a decent amount of live rock and hiding spots. A few of my fish recently died due to a murderous clownfish. I had 2 black ocellaris clowns, a Royal Gramma, a Talbot damselfish and a lawnmower blenny. One clown killed all but the blenny and we got rid of the clown. There is also a coral banded shrimp in there still. I am looking for one decent sized fish and maybe two smaller ones. I have some zoas, a leather, daisy polyps and a feather duster as well. I am guessing a wrasse may be the biggest type of fish I can put in there but I just wanted to see if anyone else had any cool ideas. I am new to the hobby and don't know of a lot of types of fish. Thanks for any suggestions!

OP
OP
Eli57

Eli57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe
That is definitely a possibility, but I was thinking something maybe larger? I want a coral beauty but I've heard they aren't the best with some soft corals. Do you know of anything similar in body size?

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is definitely a possibility, but I was thinking something maybe larger? I want a coral beauty but I've heard they aren't the best with some soft corals. Do you know of anything similar in body size?
Not true in my experience. Many softies are quite toxic or at least unpleasant-tasting; mine left all corals in an IM40 cube alone. I also have a tibicen and a multicolor sharing a 65g loaded with softies, and the coral is doing just fine.

wcroft987

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 full of sps, lps, and soft coral. I may be the exception to the rule but my coral beauty has never even looked at a coral the wrong way. It is all what you are willing to try and work with.

OP
OP
Eli57

Eli57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true in my experience. Many softies are quite toxic or at least unpleasant-tasting; mine left all corals in an IM40 cube alone. I also have a tibicen and a multicolor sharing a 65g loaded with softies, and the coral is doing just fine.
Good to know, thanks for the response!

OP
OP
Eli57

Eli57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 full of sps, lps, and soft coral. I may be the exception to the rule but my coral beauty has never even looked at a coral the wrong way. It is all what you are willing to try and work with.
Cool, someone else said the same thing so I may just get one and see what happens. Thanks for the feedback!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back