What fish to put in my now cycled waterbox cube 20

Jas6318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
Am new to these forums, newish to reef keeping. I’ve kept one 96L saltwater tank in the past with a few soft corals, skunk cleaner shrimp, diamond watchman goby, yellow clown goby, oscellaris clown, six line wrasse, and purple firefish. Not all at once though, I lost the watchman goby and replaced with a six line wrasse.
My question is this; in this new tank, I’d like to have 3 fish, I’m trying to decide between the following and would like others opinions based on their experience, particularly with a nano tank environment as I understand that can bring out aggression more. I’d like fish that don’t hide too much, but I also want a peaceful tank.
- oscellaris clown
- six line wrasse (I’ve heard they can be aggressive, but that wasn’t my experience with the last one. Guess I’d like to know how common this is?)
- royal gramma
- yellow clown goby
- yellow watchman goby
- Bicolor blenny
Are any of these going to be incompatible? In what order would you introduce all of these (even though I’d only add 3, I’m curious as to the order people would place these in the tank).
I have one main rock structure with a cave, then a few small island rocks. Currently I just have a few snails. I’ll eventually get a fire cleaner shrimp as well.
Thanks so much in advance for your thoughts, and for reading this (I’m realizing) very long post!

OP
OP
J

Jas6318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Hoodstream! I do like the look of the yellow watchman gobie lol
Does anyone have any experience keeping a royal gramma and a six line wrasse together?

Hoodstream

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any experience keeping a royal gramma and a six line wrasse together?
I have experience with a gramma. IME it was a poor experience drip acclimated for an hour and a half with airstone included. Salinity was perfect match everything was good, put the little guy in the tank and he went spastic and his behind my heater. A week later died. Never bought one again.

OP
OP
J

Jas6318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have experience with a gramma. IME it was a poor experience drip acclimated for an hour and a half with airstone included. Salinity was perfect match everything was good, put the little guy in the tank and he went spastic and his behind my heater. A week later died. Never bought one again.
Oh no! That’s not a great experience at all!! I went and got my first fish today. Woohoo! A little clownfish. He’s a cutie.
Thanks for the advice

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish did you decide on?
I have a cube 20 with pair of clowns, yellow watchman goby and a royal gramma.

OP
OP
J

Jas6318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish did you decide on?
I have a cube 20 with pair of clowns, yellow watchman goby and a royal gramma.
Commanderwho I went with an oscellaris clown and a golden assessor. They are great friends! I may put one more fish in there as well. Still deciding on the third. Any suggestions? Here’s a photo of my tank currently…

Attachments

• 40E116BC-69B3-41DA-80F5-D9E601DE71C3.jpeg
    40E116BC-69B3-41DA-80F5-D9E601DE71C3.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 62

commanderwho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice tank!
Well I would suggest one of these:
royal gramma, red or purple firefish, green clown goby.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both a royal gramma and a sixline in a 32g with no problems. The royal gramma is the head honcho in the tank and rarely if he is irritated by any of the other fish he just puts show and the fish flee. I also have had sixlines for many years, I may just be lucky but I don’t get the negative rap these fish get.

OP
OP
J

Jas6318

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both a royal gramma and a sixline in a 32g with no problems. The royal gramma is the head honcho in the tank and rarely if he is irritated by any of the other fish he just puts show and the fish flee. I also have had sixlines for many years, I may just be lucky but I don’t get the negative rap these fish get.
I would get a sixline in a heartbeat but I’m afraid he’d be aggressive :confused-face:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back