What fish would be good in a 75 gallon reef tank?

Jamie Allbritton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 gallon mixed reef with two clownfish at the moment. I'm looking for some fish that won't out grow my tank. Any help would be appreciated.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have a good cover?
If it does, you cannot go wrong with a few Fairy or Flasher wrasses. There are compatibility issue so search your species before you choose them.
Does it have a sand bed? Leopard wrasses are great. They sleep in the sand.
One tang that will do OK in a 75 gal is Tomini tang. Consider add him into your tank. I do like tang in reef tank.
Dwarf angels are great. Choose a species and add a pair. I like Flame angels
Orchid dottyback pair, Royal Gramma harem, Mandarin Dragonet
On and on....
This should get you start on your search.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jamie Allbritton

Jamie Allbritton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it have a good cover?
If it does, you cannot go wrong with a few Fairy or Flasher wrasses. There are compatibility issue so search your species before you choose them.
Does it have a sand bed? Leopard wrasses are great. They sleep in the sand.
One tang that will do OK in a 75 gal is Tomini tang. Consider add him into your tank. I do like tang in reef tank.
Dwarf angels are great. Choose a species and add a pair. I like Flame angels
Orchid dottyback pair, Royal Gramma harem, Mandarin Dragonet
On and on....
This should get you start on your search.
Thanks

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of options. Angels will eat coral, it just depends on when they decide it looks good. Wrasses are awesome, always ask what their max size will be and usual temperament. You can do a hawkfish of some part, cool goby(s), tangs are awesome if you have a friend in the hobby that could potentially take them if they outgrow your tank in 3-5 years, or promise yourself an upgrade to house your fish as they grow. Just upgraded my 35 to a 90/115. My tangs are loving life.

There’s lots of options. And with how widespread fish disease is you are likely to try a lot of them!

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest that you go to Live Aquaria’s website. Look at fish that are easy, peaceful and reef safe.

I have had good luck with Bengai Cardinals and Firefish. For a 75, you might be able to have a small ctenochaetus tang. Reef safe wrasses like flasher or fairy wrasses are good. Many gobies are good.

kichimark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lot's of good input. I would definitely consider a flame angel or even flame hawk although the latter would not be compatible if you add some shrimps to your system.

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Echoing answers above. My mixed reef 75 gal houses a fairy wrasse, flasher wrasse, melanarus wrasse, tomini tang, diamond goby, royal gramma, orchid striped cardinal, 2 clowns, molly miller blenny, and a firefish.

I am maxed out IMO.

OH, not added in that order.

Coralreefer1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certain species of Anthias’, Centropyge Angels, Niger, Pink Tail or Blue Throat Throat Trigger, Gobies, Blennies and Cardinalfish are nice.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just me personally, but I am not a fan of the "Buy a fish and rehome it when it gets too big" thought process. Of the Tangs the Tomini, Squaretail and if you have the cash a Whitetail Bristletooth would be the best fits for a 75 gallon. A Kole or Two Spot could also work although a bit cramped in the long run IMHO. I definitely wouldn't put a Trigger of any kind in a 75 gallon and definitely not a Niger. A Dwarf Angel is a gamble with corals and IMHO a Flame Angel tends to be a bit more aggressive. I would pick a Coral Beauty first if I were going with one. They don't quite stand out from a distance the way that Flame Angels do, but they actually have more color diversity than a Flame are cheaper and generally hardier. I have one in my 90 gallon that has been pretty well behaved. The generally peaceful wrasses that are smaller are great choices for that tank (ie Fairy, Flasher and Halichoeres). You will be hard pressed to beat them for color, activity and personality. Leopard Wrasses can be tricky as you have to pick the right fish. They are notoriously poor shippers and many do not survive. I would wait for your LFS to do a bulk order on them and then come back after a couple of weeks and see which ones are active and eating. As for the Coral Beauty here is a review of mine:

OP
OP
Jamie Allbritton

Jamie Allbritton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the suggestions, I've had wrasses and tangs in this tank before, I had to get rid of them because they were getting to big.

OP
OP
Jamie Allbritton

Jamie Allbritton

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What wrasses did you have that outgrew a 75g?
A melanurus wrasse and a Christmas wrasse. They grew to about 5 1/12 inches long and were fat lol. They destroyed my clean up crew, and pod population, not to mention they turn over all my corals on the sand bed.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A melanurus wrasse and a Christmas wrasse. They grew to about 5 1/12 inches long and were fat lol. They destroyed my clean up crew, and pod population, not to mention they turn over all my corals on the sand bed.
Fairy and flasher wrasses won't do that.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy and Flasher Wrasses don't require a sandbed either.

ReisolnitsuJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a valentini saddle puffer, would recommend you looking into them. They do peck at snails or hermits but if fed properly they usually mind their own business. You also gotta admire their interesting coloration's and the way they look as they are gliding throughout your tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 138 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back