What foods for a yellow Assessor?

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just received an ORA yellow assessor yesterday and tonight when I fed my other fish some frozen mysis shrimp the Assessor would bite on some small pieces and then spit it right out of it's mouth. I thought that the mysis would be ok for assessors, any suggestions on what food I should give?

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All my assessors will eat al.ost anything I offer. Perhaps try something smaller.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep trying meaty foods. I have never found them to be picky eaters, though they can get a little timid when stressed. Perhaps it needs to settle in.

If it goes longer than a few days without eating I would keep an eye out for disease/parasites.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep trying meaty foods. I have never found them to be picky eaters, though they can get a little timid when stressed. Perhaps it needs to settle in.

If it goes longer than a few days without eating I would keep an eye out for disease/parasites.

The assessor came straight from ORA in the original shipping bag and I picked it up 30 minutes after it arrived at the LFS. It was never comingled with other fish in the store's tanks. All of the ORA that I have purchased that way have been extremely healthy.

It may have been aa case of being a little stressed but all of the other fish in the tank devoured the mini mysis.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA sometimes ships fish pretty small. You might have to do frozen baby brine shrimp or calanus for a while. If it doesn’t start eating, hatching some live baby brine usually works.

Assessors are usually shy at first, so I suspect he just needs a few days to get adjusted. It’s pretty good that he’s out already.

OP
OP
Westside Guy

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ORA sometimes ships fish pretty small. You might have to do frozen baby brine shrimp or calanus for a while. If it doesn’t start eating, hatching some live baby brine usually works.

Assessors are usually shy at first, so I suspect he just needs a few days to get adjusted. It’s pretty good that he’s out already.

I am really pleased that the Assessor is swimming all over the tank. It is swimming sideways and starting to swim upside down. Also my dottyback seems to have halted it’s aggression toward the new guy on the block. :)

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Should be fine, just provide plenty of hiding places, especially ledges or shelves to hang under. Although my Randall hangs out with my wrasses out in the open. The color on them is striking, from above it's a lighter iridescent blue/green and from below you can see the faint orange on their belly.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you can mix them together if the tank isn't too small.

may i ask what lfs? i've had a heck of a time finding lfs in socal that order from ORA. i've even sent ORA emails and only got one response and one store listed that had ordered from them "within the last year"

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I got it from Elliot at Golden State Corals in Reseda. ORA only release a handful of Randall's at a time, but give Elliot a call. If you've never been there, it's worth the trip, such a great little shop full of aquacultured corals.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once they get settled in, eating won't be an issue. Mine eats pretty much everything except nori. Small mysis / pellets / spirulina brine, etc.

Back