What gets "DIPPED" before it goes into the tank and in what?

Do you "dip" new additions to your reef aquarium in medication or coral dips?

• YES always

Votes: 486 60.7%
  • Sometimes depending on where it came from

Votes: 142 17.7%
  • Only if I see something that concerns me

Votes: 56 7.0%
  • Never

Votes: 106 13.2%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 11 1.4%

• Total voters

bondsgot73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All frags are dipped in CoralRX & Lugols. Even the most popular/trustworthy places can have pests, just not worth the risk.

PAreefer710

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use bayer and then iodine and then tank water. Was skeptical about the bayer at first, but i haven’t had a single loss using it so far. Was using revive but it’s garbage compared to bayer.

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip, always dip.

For sps, idc... some might not. But I've learned my lesson many of times , especially people that buy maricultured pieces! Eggs , worms that ate under the stem. That goes for any coral though. Point I'm trying to make is If I do buy a maricultured piece I snip and clip off the base and toss it. Depending on the tank a nice mini comes from I might do the same.

WHATS YOUR THOUGHTS ON my statement.?!

QTI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All corals take a ReVive bath before jumping in. Never quarantined though as don’t have space and in any event feeling a bit lazy to keep a quarantine tank.

Silent

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't forget we have a good sticky thread about coral dip products and dosages.

Lady of Babylon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will generally watch it in the store before I buy for a good half hour if it’s large enough. tiny frags I usually plug and play. If I’m getting life rock with coral on it, depending on where it’s coming from, I will quarantine it to see what crawls out of it before putting it in my main tank. For the most part I’ve loved all of my hitchhikers that I’ve shown up. Except the microscopic jellyfish.

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 20 years reefing I never dipped any corals, and never got a problem,you need just fish that eat the bad guys.and why you scare flatworms,just put a bit lanthan in the tank and it is over. Every corals come with bacteria..that are very usefully, indispensable for our tanks specially when you start a tank and this natural bacteria you will probably not find it in a bottle .Dipping also may kill your coral which is already stressed,also kill good animals and accro crabs..
With a good biome and predators in your tanks you should not get trouble.Dipping for me would only be if you know it have pest ,but if I know this you should not put it . An important is to buy corals only from serious resellers,if they do their jobs you should not need to do it.

Chessmanmark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip everything. Years ago you had to find a source for Interceptor. In addition I used to crush up fluke tabs. Today Bayer makes it simple.

What I don’t see in this thread is dipping fish.
Melev has a video on Safety Stop. So many hobbyists don’t QT corals or fish. Hobbyists are more likely to dip corals, but not fish.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dip every coral that I get and its dipped in Bayer for 10 plus minutes.

KingTideCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all love new corals and critters but we don't love the pests that sometimes comes with them! These pests can not only take over a tank pretty quick but can also kill off certain inhabitants of our tank! Now we can't have that can we? So we have to take precaution and be careful but how careful are you being? One of the ways we can be careful not to introduce these pests to our aquarium is to use a type of coral dip or medication to kill off any unwanted pests. Let's talk about it today!

1. What types of livestock or additions to your tank gets "dipped" before they make it into your reef aquarium?

2. What type of DIP or medication are you using to kill off unwanted pests?

image via @Wy Renegade
TankWaterforHPmix5April2011.jpg
I dip it ALL

I do my best to clean everything possibly whenever I am adding any new corals to the system. If possible, dip and then will try and transfer frags to clean frags

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 20 years reefing I never dipped any corals, and never got a problem,you need just fish that eat the bad guys.and why you scare flatworms,just put a bit lanthan in the tank and it is over. Every corals come with bacteria..that are very usefully, indispensable for our tanks specially when you start a tank and this natural bacteria you will probably not find it in a bottle .Dipping also may kill your coral which is already stressed,also kill good animals and accro crabs..
With a good biome and predators in your tanks you should not get trouble.Dipping for me would only be if you know it have pest ,but if I know this you should not put it . An important is to buy corals only from serious resellers,if they do their jobs you should not need to do it.

The problem with that method is that you would have to skip QT of your corals and risk giving your "bad guy predators" ich or velvet. the 2 months without predators needed for QT is more than enough time for nudibranchs to devour a frag. I think the approach you mention should be a supplementary, not primary approach. Bayer dips don't stress corals at all. Nothing to lose there. If you want "good" animals, introduce them from a clean source. They don't have to be reintroduced with every frag.

Last edited:

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well 1st i dip my big toe in for temp check. This is all in fw btw.
Than i slowly ease my foot in and slide in up to.my waist. Brrrrr.
Its all on from their.

I use revive and any iodine base dip. I think the one i have now is either kent or seachem.

Coral only. I put them all together. Add half a cap full. Stir it. I save some water for rinsing.
It like gone in 60 seconds movie. I let em sit. Swish em around. Turn em.over and swish em. Than the rinse and put in the tank. The water get cold though before im done. Tips? Advice?
Lol.
-d

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All coral gets Bayer dip. Plugs get popped off first whenever possible first and replaced with my own after dipping.

Back