What Goby would go best with my tank

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I have been getting my tank ready for a couple months now. There is a adequate amount of algae that is forming and steady.

currently I have a tuxedo urchin, a couple snails, an emerald crab, and a banded coral shrimp.

my tank is a biocube 32

my question is I’ve wanted to get a pistol shrimp and goby combo.I’m trying to decide which goby I want. my choices right now are a yellow watchman goby, yellow rose goby, or the orange spot goby (not the diamond one).
Which do you think would be best in my tank?

I know the orange spotted goby can be aggressive towards ornamental shrimp. Would ittry to attack or bully my banded coral shrimp?

marxman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with a yellow watchman goby. I love how their mouths are turned down at the sides.. little guy constantly looks disappointed in me!! Best pals with the pistol shrimp.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow rose (or hi-fin as I know it as). It was ultra skittish and I didn’t see much of it after awhile. They are the smallest of the three listed.

I have a orange spot now, and it’s great. Paired up quickly... perched outside much of the time. Hops across the sand in a funny manner. The coloring is kind of meh, but there is an elegance to it.

Haven’t done a YWG; very popular, also largest.

edit to add: you mentioned algae... the prawn gobies don’t consume algae if that was part of your decision.

I have a cleaner shrimp and if anything he harasses the orange spot.

OP
OP
S

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow rose (or hi-fin as I know it as). It was ultra skittish and I didn’t see much of it after awhile. They are the smallest of the three listed.

I have a orange spot now, and it’s great. Paired up quickly... perched outside much of the time. Hops across the sand in a funny manner. The coloring is kind of meh, but there is an elegance to it.

Haven’t done a YWG; very popular, also largest.

edit to add: you mentioned algae... the prawn gobies don’t consume algae if that was part of your decision.

I have a cleaner shrimp and if anything he harasses the orange spot.
Thank you for the reply! I could have sworn I saw that orange spots soft sand and eat the algae?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look at ywg or a orange spotted goby. The ywg just looks like a grumpy old man

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the reply! I could have sworn I saw that orange spots soft sand and eat the algae?

That would be a diamond goby that sifts... still not big on algae, and wouldn’t pair with a shrimp.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are confusing gobies...

Valenciennea puellaris is a sand sifter and potentially aggressive (territorial really).

Diamond Watchman Goby

Amblyeleotris guttata is the prawn goby, peaceful

Orange Spotted Goby

photos courtesy of liveaquaria

OP
OP
S

Sushiboy225

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are confusing gobies...

Valenciennea puellaris is a sand sifter and potentially aggressive (territorial really).

Diamond Watchman Goby

Amblyeleotris guttata is the prawn goby, peaceful

Orange Spotted Goby

photos courtesy of liveaquaria
Ah perfect thank you! Easy to confuse them. Especially when searching orange spot goby can bring up either one. Should be searching by species name

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back