What goes into LRS "Frenzy" foods? Let me show you!

Discussion in 'LRS Frenzy Foods' started by ReefFrenzy, Nov 15, 2018.

1. ReefFrenzy

ReefFrenzy Shrimp Pimp R2R Supporter Gold Sponsor

It's hard to believe that it's been almost seven years since I blended up the first batch of food for our own fish on the kitchen table. I don't think anyone, myself included could have imagined the popularity of the food would result in such growth with over 500+ dealers stocking it in nearly nine countries! Not to mention the dozen or more captive breeding projects our foods have aided along the way at aquariums and universities. Our foods are crafted in small batches with much attention to detail to make the final product truly unique and beneficial to consumers.

So how did a hobbyist with lots of passion but little funding, no partnerships, no business
    experience, and almost no advertising budget launch a food which cannonballed into the marketplace and made such a splash?

It's fairly simple.....start with ingredients of the highest quality, don't cut corners, do lots of R&D and let transparency do the marketing for you. We also had a little help from R2R and social media. :D

So what are some of the reasons LRS foods are so sought after?

• Using fresh FDA inspected human-grade seafood results in a diverse and beneficial nutritional profile. The fatty acids and proteins are more intact than if using previously frozen ingredients.
      • The short supply chain of acquiring fresh seafood, processing it locally and shipping it out promptly to retailers means the consumer gets an uber-fresh product. This means it is healthier and more attractive to the fish, hence the incredible feeding response LRS generates.
      • Hand processing, discarding exoskeletons, and extensive rinsing results in a very clean food which means fish get optimal nutrition while waste in the aquarium is minimized.
      • LRS foods are supplemented with laboratory tested active cultures of probiotics. We've been adding them since 2013 and our Fertility Frenzy food has even more strains.
      • Pigmentation enhancers such as Beta-Carotene and Astaxanthin give our foods their tinted color. These supplements can increase yellow, orange, and red coloration in your fish.
      • LRS foods are used by many fish breeders to help condition broodstock to lay larger and more viable clutches of eggs. If it works for them, your fish can benefit from the same nutrition!
      • LRS is the only specialty food to add genuine PE MYSIS shrimp to our blends.
      • LRS is a family owned business, consisting of a husband/wife team as well as our two adult children. We are a family of "Reefers" with a passion to turn out the best product possible!
    Let me explain a little more via some photos! :)

If you are new to reefing or R2R this is what our packaging looks like:
    Reef Frenzy USPTO.jpg
    We start with fresh, chemical free seafood delivered to us by a wholesaler who services restaurants all across eastern North Carolina. We go through TONS and TONS of shrimp, scallop, fish, clams, oysters, etc. These shrimp all get hand peeled and the exoskeletons are discarded.

Fresh shrimp.jpg

These scallops belong on a dinner plate next to a steak, but instead they go into the "fish food."

Scallop.jpg

Here you can see "The Boss" who has been managing the production team for the last 5 years since I was booted out of the kitchen and tasked with marketing and solving logistical problems.

Veronica for Pet Age small.jpg

Here you can see the fresh seafood being blended with krill for our "Chunky" predator blend.

Fresh Blend.jpg

We source locally obtained fish eggs for our "Fish Frenzy®" blend which also gets live blackworms and biosecure, farm raised polychaete worms. This is the ultimate food to get finicky feeders eating!

Fish Eggs.jpg
    Fish Eggs and worms.jpg
    The food gets packed via a pneumatic packing machine and stored at -20F before shipping.

Freezer Packed.jpg

We get two Fed Ex pickups a day and ship around the globe using over 3000 pounds of dry ice each month. Thick walled coolers and using dry ice means the food is never permitted to thaw in transit. This is vital to preserve the quality of the food.

Shipping Pile.jpg

You can search our map by entering your zip code on the "BUY" page at LRSFoods.com
    Dealer Map.jpg

Look for this logo at your LFS to see if they carry Reef Frenzy® and our other blends!

LRS DECAL.jpg

This is our "Fertility Frenzy®" product as used by public aquariums, aquaculture facilities, universities and hobby breeders across the US. The Testimonial page of our website has even more details about some of the amazing breeding projects that have used LRS foods over the past few years.
    "Who's your daddy!?" ;Happy;Happy

Fertility Frenzy.jpg

We were even invited down to the University of Florida's Tropical Aquaculture Laboratory for a sneak peek at the blue tang juveniles before the captive breeding success was made public. The broodstock were conditioned using Fertility Frenzy for several months.

Tangs blue and clear.jpg

In closing one of the most important reasons for our success is our reputation of providing excellent customer service. We have built close relationships with our retailers and through social media have connected with thousands of end users. Our daughter has been managing LRS for over a year handling everything from answering the phones, drafting invoices, collecting payments, ordering seafood, and even running payroll. She comes to work every day with a smile and our grandson in tow. She does an amazing job and brings years of experience from the hospitality industry to our company. When you buy a pack of LRS food you are directly supporting a multi-generational family business which produces a product which is MADE IN THE USA!

Erica.jpg

Thanks for all the support from our friends in the R2R community over the years!

If you wish to learn even more about our business and products you can watch this video tour with Mark Callahan.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Aquanino, mike321, Butuz and 19 others like this.

2. Denisk

Denisk Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Article Contributor Build Thread Contributor

Very cool that you guys posted this. Thanks for sharing!!

DSC reef likes this.
  3. ReefFrenzy

Thank you for reading it all! We've been super busy but I've been wanting to do an informative post for a while now. Today is a cold and rainy day so it seemed as good a time as any!

4. dragon99

dragon99 Valuable Member Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Now I just need the stores I visit to actually have stock when I get there...

DangerDave and ReefFrenzy like this.
  5. Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Gobi-Wan Kenobi Member

My fish all thank you. Well all of them except for my seahorse, who only has eyes for mysis shrimp, and my scooter blemmy who is on an eternal pod hunt.

If you ever make a seahorse blend, I'll be the first to buy it.

ReefFrenzy likes this.
  6. Gobi-Wan Kenobi

Gobi-Wan Kenobi Member

Great food

ReefFrenzy likes this.
  7. ReefFrenzy

Sorry to hear that you are having difficulty finding it at the LFS. Most of our retailers order pretty regularly but if you need me to hit them up just PM me.

We actually have some seahorse folks who feed our Nano food to their seahorses with much success. It is blended finer than our standard blends.

Waynerock likes this.
  8. Waynerock

Waynerock Well-Known Member

I love my reef frenzy, my fish love my reef frenzy, my corals love my reef frenzy.
    my wife hates my reef frenzy because it smells. I tell her that’s what the good stuff smells like but she just does not understand☹️ I never paid attention that you guys are in ENC! I am in WNC! Keep up the good work there are several loyal customers up here and we plan on using LRS Products as long as we are in the hobby

ReefFrenzy likes this.
  9. speedstar

speedstar Well-Known Member

Awesome read

ReefFrenzy likes this.
  10. rbadger

rbadger Member

Love your good and that you’re right here in NC! Love supporting the local businesses!

ReefFrenzy likes this.
  11. oldfishman

oldfishman Active Member

Love your products exceeds all others.

ReefFrenzy likes this.
  12. Whisperss

Whisperss Valuable Member R2R Supporter Partner Member 2019 R2R Secret Santa Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor

Awesome video and real good read! I am going to be honest, I have never tried LRS fish food, looks like I am going have to give it a try. I like supporting family run businesses who make wholesome food with out the added garbage found in other fish foods.

ReefFrenzy likes this.
  13. jasonrusso

jasonrusso Valuable Member Build Thread Contributor

My predator tank gets chunky and my nano reef gets nano (no one in there likes nori).

Best food you can buy IMHO.

ReefFrenzy likes this.
  14. radiata

radiata Well-Known Member NJRC Member

Kudos to "The Boss"!

ReefFrenzy likes this.
  15. Dsnakes

Dsnakes Knight Reefer R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2019 Reef Tank 365 Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

I don’t have a LFS and the closest one which was 1.5hrs just closed. I’m forced to order online now. I wish I could order from you as I’m in NC as well, it would probably save me some shipping.

Only the best for my fish :) I ordered one of each this time. I’ve only used reef frenzy in the past.
    AAE0D922-2334-4117-BBA1-7FBD8C141070.jpeg

ReefFrenzy likes this.
  16. ReefFrenzy

That's a bunch of food! Awe man I hate to hear about any LFS closing. We are not equipped to handle residential orders or collect sales tax in NC so all our sales are wholesale only. I doubt the shipping would be any less with us since the cooler, dry ice and Fed Ex adds up to $30 or more for stores. I'm glad you were able to source it from our online partner and thank you for the support!

Dsnakes likes this.
  17. ducklady

ducklady Member

My fish and I thank you very much for all of your hard work.

ReefFrenzy likes this.
  18. Katrina71

Katrina71 Valuable Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award R2R Secret Santa Build Thread Contributor Hospitality Award

Can you suggest a way to make the nano version into a pico version? Sometimes my son still gets pieces larger than is safe for my tiny guys. He does cut it, but...

Crabby48 likes this.
  19. ReefFrenzy

We try and make the food appropriately sized for typical aquarium fish but it is tough to make a "one-size-fits-all" blend. It is always easier to process it a little smaller at home, but if we make it too "mushy" you can't do the reverse. I would recommend shaving off frozen slivers from the sheet of food as soon as you take it out of the freezer if you want even smaller pieces. You can also let it thaw on a dish and take a sharp knife and chop it up a little more. I have heard of clownfish breeders taking a frozen chunk across a cheese grater to feed super tiny fry. I hope this helps and thanks for the support!

20. Kit_Kat

Kit_Kat Active Member R2R Supporter R2R Secret Santa

My fish love fish frenzy. It’s the only thing I feed them.

Katrina71 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted