What graduated cylinder to use?

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking on amazon for a graduated cylinder that's going to be able to fit the Tropic Marin High precision Hydrometer.

Anybody know what one that WILL work? I have a tough time reading mine with that silly painted crap that's on the edge of the tank, and I can't get a good line of sight.

If anybody knows of a see through plastic one please link me to the one that will work.

I've looked all around here in Canada and cant seem to find even the TM tube :confounded-face:

Thanks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm looking on amazon for a graduated cylinder that's going to be able to fit the Tropic Marin High precision Hydrometer.

Anybody know what one that WILL work? I have a tough time reading mine with that silly painted crap that's on the edge of the tank, and I can't get a good line of sight.

If anybody knows of a see through plastic one please link me to the one that will work.

I've looked all around here in Canada and cant seem to find even the TM tube :confounded-face:

Thanks
I would think a 2 liter soda bottle cut at top and bottom should work

Aaron75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would this work?
Screenshot_20230601_084435_Samsung Internet.jpg

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 500ml and put 450ml of tank water in it. I like my glass one better it is easier to see the level

OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 500ml and put 450ml of tank water in it. I like my glass one better it is easier to see the level
I was going to go glass but 2 things bother me.1 Glass and glass isn't a good mix for me *smash* would be my luck.

And 2 is glass will bend the water, sorry not sure of the word to use but the water will bend or concave. The pp plastic ones don't bend the water.

I'm just going off from a search on glass to the pp type and that's what they claim.

OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried plastic/poly first, but had trouble reading through it. I ended up getting this glass one, but I have to be careful when putting it in so as to not have a glass on glass impact:

500ml Graduated Cylinder, Borosilicate 3.3 Glass, Single Metric Scale, Class B, Karter Scientific 213I14 (Single)
That's what concerned me was glass on glass and I'd definitely break this huge hydrometer. Heck I killed the power to my tanks return pump and put the Vortech to sleep for 30 min. Well time flew and all of a sudden I heard a Klink! Here the MP fired up lol.. lucky for me it didn't break. I also had to push some sand away to have this thing float freely.

In a week or so I won't need to worry. WB have me a delivery window today so this new system will float no problem at all :)

OP
OP
Salty_Northerner

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this and it works well...

Edit: sorry, guess I'm late to the party

I bought this and it works well...

Edit: sorry, guess I'm late to the party

No worries I'm just glad to know for sure what others use. I wouldn't want to order one and have it not fit and then loose time by sending it back.

I had to flip to the USA amaz*n site to order it. I could get it from Amaz*n here in Canada for a $21.00 shipping charge. No thanks!

The prices in the states are low on alot of stuff. While I was at it I ordered Apera pH 10.01 calibration fluid for $12 bucks for a 500ml bottle. Couldn't find the 7.0 fluid so had to buy the 7.0 and 4.0 kit for $13 bucks.

Here in Canada it worked out to $123.00 CAD

I got the tube and the 3 solutions all for $53 and that was after the exchange rate. Mind you I travel every week into the states and have a place I can receive packages so that's a bonus.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 119 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back