What grinds your gears? Most annoying Reefer forum behaviors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to me is when people use facebook over Reef2Reef to talk reefs! HA!
After I discovered Reef2reef I quit asking on FB, and actually get good advice!
As far as what grinds my gears, posters who continually attack things, LEDS, scrubbers etc and make threads hard to read. I enjoy trying to learn new things but some make that hard!

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"I know you're asking for $300 in your for sale thread, which is half off what it is retail. Even though it's unopened and still in the sealed box, would you take $25? I can paypal now!"

YES. THIS RIGHT HERE. THANK. YOU. AHCK!!!

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It makes me cringe a little when people straight-up hijack someone else’s thread. It’s fine if you post a relevant question pertaining to the topic at hand, but if you have side questions or enough questions to fill ongoing pages, just make yourself a new thread!!

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing. This is in regards to sales. When people ask “how low will you go?”

Edit: A conversation I had with someone over the summer while trying to sell my old tank. I laughed a little too long over this... as did a couple family members and friends lol

I just don’t get it. What were they expecting me to say? “Yes, I’ve had multiple people say they’d take my 180 gallon aquarium for $50, which I will not except. I have also gotten copious amounts of scam messages telling me they’ll send a check in the mail!”

4a5686926930a28112af5358b3d88657.png

dad147aaaf3e8ac0847afcb0bd4764c6.png

Last edited:

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, guess I'm q hypocrite because i have found something that truly grinds my gears on reef2reef.

When a person has had a bad day or is just angry they will post with a sly response or a plain rude one ect "this doesn't belong in this thread...it belongs here..." When all I said in the thread was about buying a fish for cheap and how I've fell in love with the local fish store...accusing me of advertising for a vendor...

1. I have no freaking idea how to do that and didnt even know what thread your saying my post belongs in even existed!!!!!!!

2. The dude wasn't even part of reef2reef...but a mere salty guest (get it? )
I agree 100%. I enjoyed your post and would not have seen it if you would have posted it elsewhere.

chefjpaul

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing. This is in regards to sales. When people ask “how low will you go?”

Edit: A conversation I had with someone over the summer while trying to sell my old tank. I laughed a little too long over this... as did a couple family members and friends lol

I just don’t get it. What were they expecting me to say? “Yes, I’ve had multiple people say they’d take my 180 gallon aquarium for $50, which I will not except. I have also gotten copious amounts of scam messages telling me they’ll send a check in the mail!”

4a5686926930a28112af5358b3d88657.png

dad147aaaf3e8ac0847afcb0bd4764c6.png
Hahaha..

I have a guy calling me out for not selling him a nem, because he doesn't have a light adequate enough for soft corals....Im just a %%$#@!
(Not on R2R, but still).

danreefman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate coming on and seeing a bunch of crying. People always crying about the price. Get out of the hobbie if price is a problem!!

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It drives me crazy when someone, generally new, trashes a company or product by name. I don’t use xyz because a snail dies in my tank. Or some insane small element in your tank is “too high” when it’s totally irrelevant.

This is a small business overall, you’re trashing someone’s product for your own small pet peeves is a disgrace. We need product ingenuity we need people coming online with new products and you trashing it for really no reason vs just constructive criticism how it could be made better. I appreciate all of the vendors that work hard to make this a better easier hobby. Show a little deference.

Just thank people when they help as well.

Or really complex questions when it just comes down to better flow and adding a little gfo/carbon.
Not really researching on your own.
I have no one poster in mind.
Soap box complete.
And I am smiling jsyk. Tone is hard to convey.

FlyinBryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hate coming on and seeing a bunch of crying. People always crying about the price. Get out of the hobbie if price is a problem!!

This!! This hobby is extremely challenging being done on the cheap for the long term.

I have spent a lot of money on high quality products that have lasted me many years!!

It’s an expensive hobby but a great one!!

Sea MunnKey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take the phrase "cheap" with a grain of salt as some of us may not have the steady financial income or basically students or such ... and yes they are some cheapos/price hagglers out there too but I would just ignore and move on. No point in stressing out cuz' my hair is greying out way too fast nowadays ... ;Woot

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doofus: Help! My this and that is bad!

Reefer: what are your param?

Doofus: good

Reefer: Have you done this or that recently?

Doofus: What does that have to do with this?

Zack K

The Butterfly Guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doofus: Help! My this and that is bad!

Reefer: what are your param?

Doofus: good

Reefer: Have you done this or that recently?

Doofus: What does that have to do with this?

“Good”. Like what is good [emoji23]

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This entire thread is fantastic! Since I'm a newb- pretty new to R2R and still don't have a tank yet- I've now read 11 pages of "How not to cheese off reefers!" :p;Joyful

Though, if I'm allowed to have a pet peeve for a hobby I'm only peripherally involved in at the moment...what bugs me a bit are those who do absolutely no research whatsoever and expect to have everything go perfectly from the start. I've been wanting a reef tank for over 7 years, but I haven't wasted those years just "wanting." I've been lurking this forum, watching youtube videos, and reading blogs in preparation. I feel I have a decent base of knowledge to get started. Heck, some of the questions in the "New to Saltwater" forum I feel I could probably answer, but I don't because I have no practical experience at all.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heck, some of the questions in the "New to Saltwater" forum I feel I could probably answer, but I don't because I have no practical experience at all.

And in not doing so you've avoided my pet peeve. Bugs me when someone is clearly new to the hobby and is posting about them just cycling their tank. Then days later answering questions they clearly have never had experience in, but they've read about it once.

jackson2424

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I’m telling my friends at school about my new expensive coral and they say why don’t you just get the fake ones. I get so mad[emoji23][emoji23]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back