What grinds your gears? Most annoying Reefer forum behaviors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take the phrase "cheap" with a grain of salt as some of us may not have the steady financial income or basically students or such ... and yes they are some cheapos/price hagglers out there too but I would just ignore and move on. No point in stressing out cuz' my hair is greying out way too fast nowadays ... ;Woot
Some ppl are on a strict budget. I don't work my husband does. So when I need something I ask how much can I work with. And he gives me a price. Some ppl are not born with silver spoons in their mouths. I fully agree with you

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read 27 pages of this thread. I've learned alot how not to start a thread. And how to give straight answers without my pars are perfect lol. One thing that grinds my gears is when a newb like myself asks a complicated question, and some butt head answer google it. Yes I've google my question, I still don't know I need a person's view not a generic fix that has no idea if it actually works. There is many different ways to fix a problem.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read 27 pages of this thread. I've learned alot how not to start a thread. And how to give straight answers without my pars are perfect lol. One thing that grinds my gears is when a newb like myself asks a complicated question, and some butt head answer google it. Yes I've google my question, I still don't know I need a person's view not a generic fix that has no idea if it actually works. There is many different ways to fix a problem.

C'mon, you're expected know everything that everyone else knows, don't you know that? ;)

Dave

Want2BS8ed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of the time people asking for your opinion are just seeking confirmation of that they already believe, to make themselves feel better or more secure about a decision they have already made.
You beat me to this one. If you asked for an opinion then accept it, don't argue.

I mean really... do you want answers or affirmation?

M

Matthew Frost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple things:

1. Charging $60, $70, $80 for a little dime sized frag of some random coral. Lame
2. Used equipment being sold at 94% the cost of new. Anything in this hobby that's been running for a year is likely not "like new" and even if it is in great shape IT'S USED.
3. Ongoing debates that clearly boil down to preference, sand bed vs bare bottom. There isn't a right and wrong.

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What grinds my gears... just got off of fb group. A women's tank only 2 weeks old. Not cycled. And this dumb lady is telling her to add poly filter floss... da hell is that going to do when she already added fish, and all of her levels are high. I really wish ppl would wait 3-6 weeks before adding live inverts or fish.

Dom274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People/Threads that freak about nothing. Oh, the baby blue tang you have only had a week has 3 white spots on it? TIME TO GO NUCLEAR! Display tank fallow for 3 months, Hypo and TTM for the tang over the next several weeks! Fish are more susceptible to ick when they are stressed out... The stress of putting the fish through treatment is the exact opposite of what you would want to do to simply manage the ick. Stop wasting your time fighting ick, aptasia, GHA, dinos, etc. Your tank will most likely never be completely pest free, setting unrealistic goals is a surefire path to frustration, disappointment and ultimately leaving the hobby.

mandi29221

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretending to be an expert but just spouting off how they feel instead of fact. At least say I’m not sure but here’s what I’m thinking. Best to check this....
Amen... my first time around I listened to a "expert" my tank crashed I had to start over.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
I've to a new one. People of forums (mostly facebook) that see a mother colony of a desirable coral (usually a zoa) and say "oh, now they're only worth x dollars." I realize that this hobby has become heavily monetized in the last decade or so but it seem like a lot of people are only interested in the value of stuff, not how awesome a kick-butt coral looks once it's grown out.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already been told I'm wrong for thinking this in another thread, but I hate it when people go into forum sponsors and ask when xyz is going to be on sale because if it is going to be on sale in then next few months they will just wait to buy it. As a vendor, why would I tell you something will be on sale in 2 months so I can make less money. Plus a lot of stuff I see asked about is MAP priced so isn't going on sale anyway. Do these people call up Best Buy and ask when xyz TV is going on sale because I want it but will wait if it is going on sale in a few months?

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people on other forums *cough* Facebook *cough* start hassling you over a valid piece of advice you gave because your choice of word to describe something wasn’t on par with what they would use to describe that same thing. And when you try to remove yourself from the total buffoonery and delete your comments because you don’t even want to be associated with that mess they move into your DMs and harass you even more. Like, bro, I get it, you didn’t like that I used the words “a few” when I should have stated a “specific number.” (And this had something to do with helping someone get their fish to eat, and I’m pretty sure the “a few” had to due with the number of pellets). People will fight you on the dumbest things. ‍♀️♀️

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've already been told I'm wrong for thinking this in another thread, but I hate it when people go into forum sponsors and ask when xyz is going to be on sale because if it is going to be on sale in then next few months they will just wait to buy it. As a vendor, why would I tell you something will be on sale in 2 months so I can make less money. Plus a lot of stuff I see asked about is MAP priced so isn't going on sale anyway. Do these people call up Best Buy and ask when xyz TV is going on sale because I want it but will wait if it is going on sale in a few months?
If I'm not mistaken, MAP pricing means it's a minimum price with a set margin. That also means if the manufacturer allows for a decrease in MAP pricing, then they're also agreeing to sell the product to the distributer at a lesser cost. Could you not break even on the new pricing by ordering at the same rate you're selling....or in the very least explain to me why a manufacturer would institute MAO pricing unless they weren't willing to also reduce margins to distributers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back