What grinds your gears? Most annoying Reefer forum behaviors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People responding without reading other responses or anything else than the thread title.

People responding with advice they have never done themselves (I have a 210 gallon tank, someone told me to do a 50% WC, um yeah. Also goes to the above gripe).

People giving advice they heard somewhere else. Don't tell me about angler fish unless you have had an angler fish!!

I'll stop here.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those ask questions like : 1) What is the best (fill in the blank) With little to no other information. 2) ask question but don't participate in their own post. 3) posting trolls 4) my fish is sick and no other information, then when asked for details OP copes an attitude 5) post a question that would of taken less time to research (will get an answer and not an opinion)

PiscesPower

People protect what they love. - J. Cousteau
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get tweaked when someone asks a very specific question, puts a pic of their tank in and someone comments on something completely different. Then everyone gives their input on that, then the poor OP's thread goes off on some completely off topic tangent. The other is along the same line, when someone jacks someone's thread with their own issue and a completely different conversation starts and the OP's original question gets forgotten.

shrimped

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people buy all those expensive equipment to test water and all that but puts no effort in trying to solve their problem. Like yea u see the problem but now u gotta do sumin about that lol

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
People responding without reading other responses or anything else than the thread title.

People responding with advice they have never done themselves (I have a 210 gallon tank, someone told me to do a 50% WC, um yeah. Also goes to the above gripe).

People giving advice they heard somewhere else. Don't tell me about angler fish unless you have had an angler fish!!

I'll stop here.

lol8.jpg

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes- in due respect, lots to learn abd confusion begins with LFS advice and advice of others. This is a hobby where research and investigation into chemistry and products are essential.
I agree research is essential. I spent 2 years researching before setting up my first tank but I still find much of it confusing even at this point. I still don't fully understand the correlation between calcium and alkalinity for example. But I'm managing to keep alkalinity where it should be and my calcium levels, although a bit lower than I'd like, are staying between 380 and 400, so I'm just leaving well enough alone.

tiggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite a forum pet peeve, but more of a shopping trend. I hate seeing a new vendor that has amazing looking stuff, only to find out that the only way to buy from them is to join a private FB group, wait until a certain time when they post their stock in a photo album, have to keep checking back to make sure nobody outbid you by $2, then have to wait for a manual invoice to be sent if you're lucky enough to actually win. In fact, I actually had a situation where a coral dealer posted a picture of a piece they had for sale without a price, so I messaged them to ask how much and if I could buy it. This turned into me "trying to backdoor and cheating the group" somehow.

I get that a lot of people are shopping on FB these days, but I feel like the majority of the folks in this hobby aren't trying to be on FB all day and go through all this to possibly save $13 on a frag. We want to shop when we want to shop. I get that it's the latest trend and they can turnover stock quickly this way, but I feel like they're missing out on a ton of potential business by not also having a traditional online store. Maybe this is just me being old and getting my "get off my grass!" on, but it drives me nuts when I'm trying to give someone my money and it turns into an adventure.

In fact, I've actually thought about releasing an e-commerce platform that allows them to connect an online store directly to a FB group, so they'd have their stock in both locations and have the ability to list products, stream video, host auctions, etc directly from a mobile app. THAT'S how much this particular situation annoys me lol

Kimberely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite a forum pet peeve, but more of a shopping trend. I hate seeing a new vendor that has amazing looking stuff, only to find out that the only way to buy from them is to join a private FB group, wait until a certain time when they post their stock in a photo album, have to keep checking back to make sure nobody outbid you by $2, then have to wait for a manual invoice to be sent if you're lucky enough to actually win. In fact, I actually had a situation where a coral dealer posted a picture of a piece they had for sale without a price, so I messaged them to ask how much and if I could buy it. This turned into me "trying to backdoor and cheating the group" somehow.

I get that a lot of people are shopping on FB these days, but I feel like the majority of the folks in this hobby aren't trying to be on FB all day and go through all this to possibly save $13 on a frag. We want to shop when we want to shop. I get that it's the latest trend and they can turnover stock quickly this way, but I feel like they're missing out on a ton of potential business by not also having a traditional online store. Maybe this is just me being old and getting my "get off my grass!" on, but it drives me nuts when I'm trying to give someone my money and it turns into an adventure.

In fact, I've actually thought about releasing an e-commerce platform that allows them to connect an online store directly to a FB group, so they'd have their stock in both locations and have the ability to list products, stream video, host auctions, etc directly from a mobile app. THAT'S how much this particular situation annoys me lol
Agreed. Or a $200 minimum order...you mean I have to purchase $100 worth of corals that I don't want just to get the ones I do? No thank you!

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When a company doesn’t do free shipping... no matter how much you buy. OR when the shipping *goes up* if you order a larger shipment. Haha no, that’s not how that should work.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm kicking myself now.....what if I had just bid a little more for that gold tipped hammer! The joys of Ebay auctions!

I much prefer "buy it now", that way I can search the lowest price, best selections, best shipping options, etc.

PapaWhisky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'll stop here.

+1! Also, asking the OP questions that were answered in the first post of the thread.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple more...

Even though its already been said -- vendors selling only on FB. You might as well not be selling. Its literally not possible to view FB pages if you dont have a FB account, I cant wrap my head around why anyone would choose this platform for sales.

People selling used equipment for more than half the retail price. Let me get this straight: it comes without free shipping, without any warranty, I have to rely on your word for its history, all so I can save $50? Um no thanks. Mint condition used equipment should start at %50 of purchase price and go down quickly from there.

EMeyer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny to think that the latest generation of education professionals don't understand that there are different learning styles. I have read a textbook maybe twice in my entire 130+ credits. Guess what? I have a 4.0

I much prefer to listen, take notes, then use outside resources, unless the professor glass-boxes you into useless regurgitation of textbook questions instead of teaching a subject. That's the two times I've read them.
Oh we're aware, come on. That learning style stuff was new in like the 1980s. And has fully infiltrated Academia.

But many in the general public don't understand what these differences actually mean.

Learning styles dictate what *additional* or *supplementary* tools should be used for learning. Not *whether* to include the fundamentals. Reading the textbook is as fundamental as coming to class, and students who refuse to take part in these, simply do not belong in an academic setting.

There is a reason its called "book smart". The book part is not optional.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People selling used equipment for more than half the retail price. Let me get this straight: it comes without free shipping, without any warranty, I have to rely on your word for its history, all so I can save $50? Um no thanks. Mint condition used equipment should start at %50 of purchase price and go down quickly from there.

I would contend that used gear is worth exactly what someone else is willing to pay for it. If you don’t like someone’s asking price, politely counter offer or don’t buy it. But to complain about someone’s asking price is a bit much IMO. At the end of the day, the market will bear out what the used item is worth. As a person who has sold his fair share of new and used items on here, when I get low balled, I politely explain that I have to eat shipping and fees, so past a certain point, I’d rather keep the item as backup. With that said, I have never had any problems selling gear for what I determine to be fair market value.

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's funny to think that the latest generation of education professionals don't understand that there are different learning styles. I have read a textbook maybe twice in my entire 130+ credits. Guess what? I have a 4.0

I much prefer to listen, take notes, then use outside resources, unless the professor glass-boxes you into useless regurgitation of textbook questions instead of teaching a subject. That's the two times I've read them.

I’m in school as well... and don’t always read the material. Actually at least 80% of of the people I know just have the textbook for the off chance there are terms they’ll need to find in the book or it needs to be brought to class (; You’re not the first nor will you be the last that doesn’t read the textbook. The comments in this thread were about how people just don’t read, period (for me anyway). I like books, I don’t want them to become extinct! haha!

A lot of the time the textbook has been absolutely useless to me imo, so I understand where you’re coming from. If you go to class, have a pretty good memory, and take notes, there are just some classes that the textbook doesn’t give you anything extra in.

There are also some classes you shouldn’t be required to attend because the professors READ DIRECTLY FROM THE TEXTBOOK! Ahh!! If you’re going to read verbatim what you’ve asked me to read, why should I do both?! If you’re embellishing on that information, great, but some of them do not. Absolutely the WORST.

jason.kennedy.98478

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest pet peeve(s) as they are connected, that none of the vendors that do ICP-MS for the hobby are ISO certified, and if they are they don't advertise it.

This means that the results you get from them are the equivalent of using a random number generator to get your tank parameters.

Also 99% of people have no idea what the results they get mean and you get posts from people feaking out about something that is off by 2 micrograms per liter from NSW :rolleyes:;Blackeye

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to buy section.

Most of know what something cost used and what it cost new, but the want to buy group wants it for next to nothing and probable ask for it to be delivered and setup as well.

Falcon53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When people start giving advice on how to solve a "problem" when they haven't asked enough questions of the OP to determine if there is an actual problem. For example:

OP: Help! My phosphate is really high.

Person #1: Tell us about your parameters

Person #2 (before OP even answers Person #1's reasonable and material question): You should go out and buy a reactor and fill it with GFO. Or dose Lanthanum Chloride. Or stop feeding your fish altogether!

OP: To Person #2. Thanks! What equipment do you recommend? (OP never answers Person #1's question)

Twenty more messages are exchanged about how to fix the "problem." Nobody ever gets the relevant information.

Turns out OP is a newbie that knows almost nothing and the phosphate levels are fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 67 85.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back