What grinds your gears? Most annoying Reefer forum behaviors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one.

When people respond without reading the entire thread out of context like a Facebook troll.

I was responding to this. "What the heck".
96e8e9fc16ebd07046e828706d37a9f6.jpg
Cyano. 100%

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goodness this one is frustrating. Do you really expect the employees to worship the ground you walk on when you're just there to buy a $10 fish? Also, this hobby is inherently nerdy, don't get mad at the owner when they're not the most social person on earth or if they don't want to stand around and chat for 45 minutes.
I never considered that (nerdy)
What I find unnerving at the LFS is the look you get when dropping $$$$ , the one guy has a snarl on his face when you ask about a $500 skimmer or pump and then the boss shows up and he's your best Friend.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came real close to reporting a FS thread this weekend. An admittedly beautiful, but blatantly photoshopped zoanthid frag; the plug it was sitting on was glowing yellow/orange. Can't recall the exact price, but was in the order of $300 - $500.

Not sure what standard R2R protocol is for that situation...

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate one word or one line posts be they questions or answers, that give no information at all. Usually the question cannot be answered in the least without more information or the answer is useless without the same.

One line questions like:
“Why do I have algae?”
(But give no parameters)

“Should I get an RBTA?”
(No tank size or livestock info)

Or answers like:
“Crushed coral is a death trap!”
(But of course they have never used it, or if they have they are overstocked with fish and never change their water, but do not note any info at all)

“X skimmer is too loud!”
(But do not note they never use an ATO and the water level constantly fluctuates)

LOL. Bugs me. If you really want help or want to help, give as much information as possible. It will help the OP and help future searchers.

AngryOwl

Angry
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate one word or one line posts be they questions or answers, that give no information at all. Usually the question cannot be answered in the least without more information or the answer is useless without the same.

One line questions like:
“Why do I have algae?”
(But give no parameters)

“Should I get an RBTA?”
(No tank size or livestock info)

Or answers like:
“Crushed coral is a death trap!”
(But of course they have never used it, or if they have they are overstocked with fish and never change their water, but do not note any info at all)

“X skimmer is too loud!”
(But do not note they never use an ATO and the water level constantly fluctuates)

LOL. Bugs me. If you really want help or want to help, give as much information as possible. It will help the OP and help future searchers.

On that note what about the OP's who put every detail needed in the OP but then someone says "What are your parameters?! It's probably your parameters! Fix them!".

tldr; having to repeat yourself

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, cannot resist another:

“For Sale Y”
Posted at 3am

10 minutes later:
“10 views and no PMs? Come on people, I need to unload right now!!!”

What, are they using the money for crack? I know this is international, but consider the time zone for the bulk of users.

NY_Caveman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On that note what about the OP's who put every detail needed in the OP but then someone says "What are your parameters?! It's probably your parameters! Fix them!".

tldr; having to repeat yourself

Right, @AngryOwl, they have the time to reply, but not to actually read the post? Are they helping or just indulging themselves?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate it when people ask for info that has already been given. If you aren't going to read the entire post then please move on without replying. Even worse when they admit they are too lazy to read thru the post.

I also hate memes.

jduong916

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who say their tank is thriving or mature and it hasn't even been 1 year (some exceptions apply). I also am annoyed when people say my corals grow like weeds and the tank has like 5 corals in it.

I have to admit I was guilty of all this behavior when I was a young man 15 years ago lol.

Wrangy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who complain about corals being named... they have a place and yes sometimes it's means a price hike but without a name it's still going to fetch the same price but no one is going to know how to find it or what to ask for!
"Yeah, can I get some of those rainbow zoa's? You know the one's with red, green, gold and striped frills?"
"Have you got any Bowsers?"

Non-blue photo's that are actually the taken under the same lighting but the saturation is not nearly as high! Don't get me wrong, I adore my blues and would happily look at coral photo's under them all day! But acro's that are clearly very overly saturated and not only when you ask for a more reasonable photo, the poster gets offended like you've insulted their mother or something... I mean, it's a fair enough question! Though this doesn't apply when the photographer knows what they're doing like the actinic shots that WWC posts!

Serial keyboard warriors, you know the users that you just know are going to be there arguing things not relevant and acting like the world is against them or the nitpickers on things that really don't matter.. like the chemical make up of a carbon and what it's life history is lol

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The folks who post pictures of hitchhikers and it either looks like they were driving past their tank at 90 miles an hour, or they were standing in their kitchen, 30 feet away, or just don't know how to focus their camera. Drives me nuts....and the worst part is that I still try to take a guess of what this blurred pinhead might be. :mad:
You'd swear they were trying to photograph bigfoot!

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never considered that (nerdy)
What I find unnerving at the LFS is the look you get when dropping $$$$ , the one guy has a snarl on his face when you ask about a $500 skimmer or pump and then the boss shows up and he's your best Friend.
Well, yeah. The "one guy" is (probably) still making minimum wage or just getting store credit. Think about how much effort (read: lack of effort) the kids at McDonald's put into your Big Mac.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef aquarium pet peeves: When discussing nutrient concentrations, doesn't know if, say, it is just NO3, or NO3 as nitrogen. Reports parameters as 'Water checks out perfect.' Will spend $500 on a coral, but a $199 PAR meter is too expensive.
I know we all have to start somewhere and there is no such thing as a stupid question, but these have come close:
When discussing a metal halide lamp: "If the lamp is made of metal, how does the light get out of it?"
On maintaining calcium: "I couldn't find lime water, so is it OK to use lemon juice?"
On concentrations of substances in water: I explained the concept of milligrams per liter as opposed to parts per million, and wrote the abbreviations on the chalkboard (mg/L and ppm.) One fellow stared at the board and finally asked "Does mg/L stand for millions of gallons (abbreviated as MG) per liter?"
I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you're going to discuss something, at least have think a little to avoid the old adage "Mouth in gear, brain in neutral."

OP
OP
Newb73

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, yeah. The "one guy" is (probably) still making minimum wage or just getting store credit. Think about how much effort (read: lack of effort) the kids at McDonald's put into your Big Mac.
They have to memorize the song.

"Two all beef patties special sauce lettus cheese on a sesame seed bun"!

..or something

OP
OP
Newb73

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef aquarium pet peeves: When discussing nutrient concentrations, doesn't know if, say, it is just NO3, or NO3 as nitrogen. Reports parameters as 'Water checks out perfect.' Will spend $500 on a coral, but a $199 PAR meter is too expensive.
I know we all have to start somewhere and there is no such thing as a stupid question, but these have come close:
When discussing a metal halide lamp: "If the lamp is made of metal, how does the light get out of it?"
On maintaining calcium: "I couldn't find lime water, so is it OK to use lemon juice?"
On concentrations of substances in water: I explained the concept of milligrams per liter as opposed to parts per million, and wrote the abbreviations on the chalkboard (mg/L and ppm.) One fellow stared at the board and finally asked "Does mg/L stand for millions of gallons (abbreviated as MG) per liter?"
I guess what I'm trying to say is that if you're going to discuss something, at least have think a little to avoid the old adage "Mouth in gear, brain in neutral."
OMG.....classic.

Also....
When i realized i live a couple hours from Dana Riddle's georgia home and keep asking to visit his lab but he doesn't respond.

Followed by: When fans ask to visit my lab and won't take the hint when i don't respond.

Dana Riddle

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OMG.....classic.

Also....
When i realized i live a couple hours from Dana Riddle's georgia home and keep asking to visit his lab but he doesn't respond.

Followed by: When fans ask to visit my lab and won't take the hint when i don't respond.
Huh - what? I haven't seen ANY requests to visit - I'd be glad to have someone over to talk shop. PM me and we'll arrange!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back