What grows, (or coats), the insides of opaque tubing.

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For weeks I've been wondering what the gunk was filling my socks. After noticing lots of debris floating in the tank after cycling the pumps for feeds I see that this stuff looks familiar. My old tank has a canister filter which after cleaning blows similar looking stuff out of it's tubing when restarted. Sometimes I try to catch the first gallon of output in a bucked to pitch since I don't know what it is. Does anyone know what the mucous-like coating is that forms on the inside of OPAQUE tubing or PVC?

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt want alot of it blowing around in my tank, but its always in contact with your water anyway, so I wouldnt worry.
I wouldnt want alot of it blowing around in my tank, but its always in contact with your water anyway, so I wouldnt worry.
Are there practices that can cause an excess amount of it? I’m curious if it’s forming inside my UV as the flow rate gradually slows over time.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there practices that can cause an excess amount of it? I’m curious if it’s forming inside my UV as the flow rate gradually slows over time.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back