What happend to my scoly? Devil livestock?

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a couple days ago I noticed half of my scolys skeleton retracted and I instinctively moved him to the other side of the tank. (It was about 4 inches away from frogspawn and 3 inches from tube coral which is super peaceful) and I had no idea what could of been the problem. Eventually I started watching him and he wouldn’t eat even with his sweepers out. I figured the shrimp( which is a little demon) was eating him so I caught him and returned him to my lfs. Then today I got home and about 95% of it was dead and retracted, mouth and everything dead. Still had green skin left, but I caught a certain fish picking the leftover skin off. My regular ocellaris clown was picking at it and rubbing up on it. Which makes me think he was A) trying to host it while it was dying because he was an ******* to the coral next to the scoly or B) eating the dead leftover skin of the scoly. And then I saw bjd which I recently had a problem with a few weeks ago with my Knicks torch which died the same way. Am I missing something or is my tank refusing to allow torches and scolys in my tank cause every other coral I get (even frogspawn/hammer/any lps and what not are untouched and healthy) I feed my clowns once a day every night for a decent amount, I am going to up the amount to twice a day, but worried about nutrient levels being unbalanced. I have a 29g bio cube and I’ll post pictures of livestock and a pic I caught. Let me know if you have any idea what could be the killer and how I can prevent it to I can keep adding corals to my collection. I added all pics from beginning of journey to the end, even added my torches journey of about a week after dying in under 2 days. I’m beyond flabbergasted and wanna figure out a solution to this. Note I do have lower flow which is directed mostly at my euphyllia, but I am buying a power head very soon.
9E5252A7-0F98-4D65-AF11-3E9CA8B9F20B.jpeg
8D0AAD94-775D-4395-A523-9C5418F3F90E.jpeg
5BDD1339-1422-4EA5-8588-B98E507C3206.jpeg
A4A41623-4621-4E11-AEBD-0A8738FEBF8F.png
4CA8995F-77C5-437E-B061-E33EED816B45.jpeg
1AF75348-D03F-4C60-BDBF-30FFC26DE2FD.jpeg

28EBF3B5-848B-4857-BF7B-31E824DF5D73.jpeg C1D6A3AC-FC01-4E85-B67F-939EB2A42C58.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5732.MOV
    18.5 MB
OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are your water parameters also I'd be looking for some kind of Hitchhiker pest it is gone by unnoticed
I dipped all coral before entry to my tank in revive(only dip I had now I better suited myself with iodine) params are perfect I’m pretty sure besides some nutrients problems
Salinity 1.023
Ph 8.1
78 degrees
Nitrates like 0.25
Have to go do test for others

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow how much flow do you have what kind of lighting do you got
Stock biocube lighting, but it suits all my other HIGH end coral perfectly. Flow is super low just the head that came with the biocube. I’m buying a nano wave maker saturday.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped all coral before entry to my tank in revive(only dip I had now I better suited myself with iodine) params are perfect I’m pretty sure besides some nutrients problems
Salinity 1.023
Ph 8.1
78 degrees
Nitrates like 0.25
Have to go do test for others
Salinity is a little low I'd shoot for 1.025 I try to bring the nitrates down to 5 parts per million the shrimps especially cleaner shrimps are really bad for picking food out of corals and can do damage but there's several Corals in your pictures that I don't think it's a shrimp alone I be looking for hitchhikers even with the dip not all dips kill all hitchhikers.

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting and flow seems to be perfectly okay I would start with the salinity bringing it up those two points and bringing down the nitrates a little bit and then I'd go from there with looking for hitchhikers

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have had these mysterious deaths happen is definitely not fun and it sucks me spend two to four hundred dollars on a coral just to have it died within a month if not weeks

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too have had these mysterious deaths happen is definitely not fun and it sucks me spend two to four hundred dollars on a coral just to have it died within a month if not weeks
I almost dropped the hobby cause I lost a 2 headed Knicks in under a week

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity is a little low I'd shoot for 1.025 I try to bring the nitrates down to 5 parts per million the shrimps especially cleaner shrimps are really bad for picking food out of corals and can do damage but there's several Corals in your pictures that I don't think it's a shrimp alone I be looking for hitchhikers even with the dip not all dips kill all hitchhikers.
I have only seen copeopods, Medusa worm, and another worm which are semi harmless and a good cuc. Anyway to actually search for a critter?

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost dropped the hobby cause I lost a 2 headed Knicks in under a week
Yeah I just hang in there bud this kind of stuff happens I have literally lost thousands of dollars worth of corals not all at once but over time from different things from shipping delays to just mysteriously dying it's just part of the hobby it sucks a great deal but it does happen wish I could say it wasn't part of the hobby but up till now I haven't found anything that says it isn't is no matter how much I test no matter the water changes no matter what I do there's always a coral here there that ends up getting lost by the way do you have any sand sifters in your tank sand sifting gobies are notorious for spitting out sand on top of corals and causing their flesh to die in areas

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I just hang in there bud this kind of stuff happens I have literally lost thousands of dollars worth of corals not all at once but over time from different things from shipping delays to just mysteriously dying it's just part of the hobby it sucks a great deal but it does happen wish I could say it wasn't part of the hobby but up till now I haven't found anything that says it isn't is no matter how much I test no matter the water changes no matter what I do there's always a coral here there that ends up getting lost by the way do you have any sand sifters in your tank sand sifting gobies are notorious for spitting out sand on top of corals and causing their flesh to die in areas
No but an army of brittle stars and I had a CRAP load of turbo snails

Pistol Peet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never saw him flip a frag with sweepers tho
not worried about the brittle stars or the turbo snails they're not going to mess with your Coral there's something that we are not catching or seeing and it's either got to be a pest or one of the parameters of some sort salinity is the main one that I'm concerned about right now and then the nitrates can come down a little as well

OP
OP
tnewell

tnewell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not worried about the brittle stars or the turbo snails they're not going to mess with your Coral there's something that we are not catching or seeing and it's either got to be a pest or one of the parameters of some sort salinity is the main one that I'm concerned about right now and then the nitrates can come down a little as well
I’ll get accurate reading in the morning, I have a huge shipment of coral coming in places before this scoly started to die, so I’m buying another frag rack to keep stuff out of the sand, that seems to be the place bad things happen

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low salinity, low nitrates. Both can kill a coral very fast. Any idea what your phosphates are?

I would say your literally starving the corals to death with little no nutrients in the water.

Nitrates I would shoot for around 5 to 10ppm.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back