What happened to the non commercialized hobby?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling a reef tank is 1000% about generating retail money. all the training materials we can source for cycling lead you to a bottle bac purchase, though its possible to attain a completely free and equivalent cycle by waiting sixty days with water in the tank for the whole thing to self cycle (or 30 days if you're feeding fish food as a boost, cheap)

we have been trained to buy bottle bac in reaction to everything. Once bottle bac sellers don't write all the cycling info, that'll begin to re balance.
Retail is just as guilty on the algae side of that equation. Soon as new people see algae they're triggered to freak out and start doing all sorts of unnecessary things. All the while not knowing that algae is normal and will sort itself out.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being new to the hobby I have no idea what it used to be like but I get a sense that people could buy colonies for $30 and not just a polyp. What I find shocking and I'm still getting used to is seeing pictures of a coral then seeing the real thing. I don't mean color, I mean the size. I see a pic and I think "that's a good size for $30". Then I see the real thing and it's the size of a dime (or less) and then I realize the pic was zoomed in 10x (or more). Haha. I have to start lowering my expectations. Haha.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trading is still a thing where I live. It has been awhile since I paid for a coral. I am
Not after anything crazy though but you can trade for old school acros, zoas, mushrooms, and no name torches and such just fine.

Wrigley&Ivy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of buying for local hobbyist! If we all had frag tanks and traded amongst each other maybe it would drive the online prices down. haha just a thought Btw, I know no one who does...boo

jeepreefer1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it just me or does it seem like everyone in this hobby making it about making money? I remember about 10 years ago before I took a break it was all about beautiful tanks and competition on who could make the healthiest ecosystem. Now it seems like everyone has a frag tank or are investing in aquaculture vs the pure joy of reefing. I am sure this is more of a perception than reality just because of the nature of these sites. I just missing seeing the georgeous tank set ups that are more about aesthetics than optimal frag growth and room for frags for profit.
No you are correct, it has become about making a buck unfortunately.

OP
OP
B

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you are correct, it has become about making a buck unfortunately.
I honestly don’t hold any I’ll will to those trying to make some money as a side hustle as this allows some people to make some money doing what they love. If we all had jobs like that life would be grand. I just wish that the primary pursuit was the hobby with money being secondary or tertiary. Money and profit motive just suck the life out of this hobby for me. Meh, just ranting and venting. Lost 200 bucks of sps in the last week and just feeling bitter. *shrugs*

jfoahs04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just returned after 6 years out of the hobby and I think it’s gone to extremes in both directions.

Around here, the trade scene is solid. Lots of good reefers looking to trade and that’s awesome. But I have noticed more of them selling frags and small colonies - sometimes for extremely high costs. 6 years ago, I wasn’t seeing $400, $600, or $800+ LPS or softies with much frequency. Now they’re everywhere.

On the other hand, I’m seeing more extremely discounted and even free stuff. I had 2 reefers just give me 2 live rocks with some nice little Zoa colonies a few weeks ago. One sold me a large rock completely covered in frilly mushrooms and clove polyps. Another offered a 100+ polyp zoa covered rock today (which I had to decline) for free. That wouldn’t have happened 6 years ago. At least not to the same extent. It feels like the rise of the designer and high end stuff has really made the bottom fall out of entry level and common coral prices. 6 years ago chaeto was the only thing you’d see regularly being given away for fee in the local club. Now, a week doesn’t go by where someone isn’t giving away GSP, Xenia, some Palys, Zoas, etc. for free.

It’s much easier to get started with coral on the cheap today than it was 6 years ago. But it seems the high end has gotten higher too.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the idea of buying for local hobbyist! If we all had frag tanks and traded amongst each other maybe it would drive the online prices down. haha just a thought Btw, I know no one who does...boo
I try to TRADE coral more than sell frags. Trading gives me opportunity to diversify and if I have a big colony to trade, I can get 10+ different frags for it.

But it's hard to find people who want to trade with no money involved.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 15.4%
Back