what happened to yellow tang price?!

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favoritt fish yellow tang used to cost about $80 at my local pet store, now it costs $2000. I am aware that the price went through the roof after the export ban, but I think I read that this has been lifted, why are the prices still so high?

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My favoritt fish yellow tang used to cost about $80 at my local pet store, now it costs $2000. I am aware that the price went through the roof after the export ban, but I think I read that this has been lifted, why are the prices still so high?
I think I hv read Hawaii has set a limitation on catching of yellow tang. U r lucky u can still find them. Many people may not even seen them I hv not seen them since them in my lfs:) . One u are seen may be captive bred or the limited one.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s because the export ban is still on. The ban has yet to be truly lifted however there are collectors in Hawaii trying to get licenses again.
eveb if the ban was to be lifted, there is only 10-12 species on that list and I don’t believe the yellow tang is a feature.

Also, we did get the ban renewal in 2022 however they lost that as the opposing sides (Environmentalists, Natives who want to eat the fish, ect) overcame the renewal. I believe there was a second one sent out and we have won that one however I am not 100% sure.

However, given that most our yellow tangs came from hawaii it’s believed that we no longer have Wild Caught Yellows in this hobby. This just isn’t true, Yellows are native to Indonesia and do have a population there which every so often they are collected. I believe Hawaiian yellows are found much easier due to the depth they’re from in comparison to the Indonesian Yellows. The other option to get a yellow tang is Captive Bred however over here in Europe CB fish rarely make it over here. I know in the UK (where I’m sat) yellow tangs are almost never on the market unless wild caught. CB fish we get are essentially just gobies, Clownfish and every so often the CB Paracentropyge angels make it over here.

OP
OP
K

klavmaister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s because the export ban is still on. The ban has yet to be truly lifted however there are collectors in Hawaii trying to get licenses again.
eveb if the ban was to be lifted, there is only 10-12 species on that list and I don’t believe the yellow tang is a feature.

Also, we did get the ban renewal in 2022 however they lost that as the opposing sides (Environmentalists, Natives who want to eat the fish, ect) overcame the renewal. I believe there was a second one sent out and we have won that one however I am not 100% sure.

However, given that most our yellow tangs came from hawaii it’s believed that we no longer have Wild Caught Yellows in this hobby. This just isn’t true, Yellows are native to Indonesia and do have a population there which every so often they are collected. I believe Hawaiian yellows are found much easier due to the depth they’re from in comparison to the Indonesian Yellows. The other option to get a yellow tang is Captive Bred however over here in Europe CB fish rarely make it over here. I know in the UK (where I’m sat) yellow tangs are almost never on the market unless wild caught. CB fish we get are essentially just gobies, Clownfish and every so often the CB Paracentropyge angels make it over here.
ye, am located in norway ,) smal ones goes for 2000$ i dont Even deer to ask for medium size

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on a positive side note, this will drive disease prevention in reef hobby fishkeeping like no other mechanism has ever caused. if people simply cannot afford to lose them to preventable conditions, they will stop doing so and seize whatever the strongest retention % method is for the day. that level of price pressure will stop experimentation with at least that species, that's for sure. experimentation would be use in any setting other than those prep means that command the highest % retention rate year after year for the species. that price pressure will make only the most prepared buyers the consumers of the fish from the retail trade side. they're no longer a rite of passage just because someone bought a large tank.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ye, am located in norway ,) smal ones goes for 2000$ i dont Even deer to ask for medium size
2000$ is certainly a lot however I know rules from the European Union are different to ours such as certain wrasses were banned in the EU but not for us.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Prices are not high. You can order captive raised Yellows for $165.00 US dollars.

With regards to $80 vs today there is a ban in place along with inflation. The price of milk and Bic Mac's have all gone up as with a lot of things. The good news is that maybe hobbyist will treat the fish like a pet and take better care of it since it costs more today and not treat it like a commodity.

Who knows. /shrug.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
on a positive side note, this will drive disease prevention in reef hobby fishkeeping like no other mechanism has ever caused. if people simply cannot afford to lose them to preventable conditions, they will stop doing so and seize whatever the strongest retention % method is for the day. that level of price pressure will stop experimentation with at least that species, that's for sure. experimentation would be use in any setting other than those prep means that command the highest % retention rate year after year for the species. that price pressure will make only the most prepared buyers the consumers of the fish from the retail trade side. they're no longer a rite of passage just because someone bought a large tank.
you have no information or studies to suggest this

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Prices are not high. You can order captive raised Yellows for $165.00 US dollars.

With regards to $80 vs today there is a ban in place along with inflation. The price of milk and Bic Mac's have all gone up as with a lot of things. The good news is that maybe hobbyist will treat the fish like a pet and take better care of it since it costs more today and not treat it like a commodity.

Who knows. /shrug.
well mine are4 inches. lol. yellow tangs live to be 40+ years old

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree with you. I personally wish the ban was wider and across all wild collected fish and corals. This hobby wouldn't skip a beat outside of our own selfishness of not having access to certain spices.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you have no information or studies to suggest this

Ignoring the reaction I would ask a simple question. Has the Hawaiian ban impacted our hobby at all outside some ornamental fish being unavailable? Don't get me wrong I would love a Potter's but will wait.

Not trying to start an argument - sorry.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with you. I personally wish the ban was wider and across all wild collected fish and corals. This hobby wouldn't skip a beat outside of our own selfishness of not having access to certain spices.
there we have it. though I didn't know we collected spices

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ignoring the reaction I would ask a simple question. Has the Hawaiian ban impacted our hobby at all outside some ornamental fish being unavailable? Don't get me wrong I would love a Potter's but will wait.

Not trying to start an argument - sorry.
sorry also I was talking to Brandon

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well mine are4 inches. lol. yellow tangs live to be 40+ years old

No doubt. They are a pretty fish. And if you wanted to trade it to another hobbyist or sell it you could obviously get a nice return on it. Not that is what you are dong :D

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back