what happened to yellow tang price?!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ignoring the reaction I would ask a simple question. Has the Hawaiian ban impacted our hobby at all outside some ornamental fish being unavailable? Don't get me wrong I would love a Potter's but will wait.

Not trying to start an argument - sorry.
Thats an odd question 'has the Hawaiian ban impacted our hobby outside of ......" Yes - it has - there are numerous species that are not endangered - plentiful - that are now extremely expensive.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats an odd question 'has the Hawaiian ban impacted our hobby outside of ......" Yes - it has - there are numerous species that are not endangered - plentiful - that are now extremely expensive.

But....are we impacted. You or I? Or anyone else for that matter. We can still buy corals and fish.

Edit: I see you noted plentiful - I wasn't ignoring that as I tend to remove emotion or politics from discussions. Just for clarity.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My favoritt fish yellow tang used to cost about $80 at my local pet store, now it costs $2000. I am aware that the price went through the roof after the export ban, but I think I read that this has been lifted, why are the prices still so high?
Thats insane and Ive seen tangs recently at the $200 mark with great color and appetite. Its consumers who helped drive these prices up. When the ban was suggested, prices hit the $300 and people were grabbing them like no tomorrow, The greedy retailers rose to $400 and hobbyists were still grabbing them.
I cannot side with statement of disease control which would then apply to most every fish in the hobby- Its all about water quality mamangement and diet and Not impulse and prro advice from the very people who sell them at these high prices. I again am Glad I had a liking near 6 years ago and wanted a small group of them in which I have 6.

1679593150743.png
660g tangs 7.3.jpg

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats insane and Ive seen tangs recently at the $200 mark with great color and appetite. Its consumers who helped drive these prices up. When the ban was suggested, prices hit the $300 and people were grabbing them like no tomorrow, The greedy retailers rose to $400 and hobbyists were still grabbing them.
I cannot side with statement of disease control which would then apply to most every fish in the hobby- Its all about water quality mamangement and diet and Not impulse and prro advice from the very people who sell them at these high prices. I again am Glad I had a liking near 6 years ago and wanted a small group of them in which I have 6.

1679593150743.png
660g tangs 7.3.jpg

I believe they are looking at it from a supply chain point of view. Buying direct from source removes that from the equation. I do not claim to know what that number is as it relates to mortality due to supply chain so won't go there.

As an aside that is a nice elegance you have there.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I believe they are looking at it from a supply chain point of view. Buying direct from source removes that from the equation. I do not claim to know what that number is as it relates to mortality due to supply chain so won't go there.

As an aside that is a nice elegance you have there.
Thing is, I know what they pay and were paying as I myself was an LFS owner and believe me- They (retailers and collectors took advantage)
In my batch, they ranged from $30 - $50 at the time I acquired them and are an easy 5+"

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No doubt. They are a pretty fish. And if you wanted to trade it to another hobbyist or sell it you could obviously get a nice return on it. Not that is what you are dong :D
The simple question - (there are 2 IMHO) - 1. Did the Hawaiian ban protect fish - my answer 'no' - they were not anywhere near endangered. Second - Your question is someone weird IMHO - did it do anything except affect the ornamental fish trade - No - but we're talking about the ornamental fish trade - right? So it affected this hobby greatly - Yellow tangs selling for $700 (as adults), etc.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing is, I know what they pay and were paying as I myself was an LFS owner and believe me- They (retailers and collectors took advantage)
In my batch, they ranged from $30 - $50 at the time I acquired them and are an easy 5+"

It doesn't matter what the tang used to cost. A Big Mac used to cost a buck.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
on a positive side note, this will drive disease prevention in reef hobby fishkeeping like no other mechanism has ever caused. if people simply cannot afford to lose them to preventable conditions, they will stop doing so and seize whatever the strongest retention % method is for the day. that level of price pressure will stop experimentation with at least that species, that's for sure. experimentation would be use in any setting other than those prep means that command the highest % retention rate year after year for the species. that price pressure will make only the most prepared buyers the consumers of the fish from the retail trade side. they're no longer a rite of passage just because someone bought a large tank.

Agreed. Additionally, this has absolutely ushered in a much stronger effort in captive breeding. I've been in the hobby a long time, I paid $30 for my 6"+ yellow tang and he's just about old enough to legally drive now. Prior to this ban there didn't seem to be a whole lot of effort into captive breeding outside of ORA, and a few other small businesses and hobbyists breeding clowns.

Short-term, this ban sucks for us hobbyists but I think it will ultimately be a good thing in the long run. Not in a sense that I believe the hobby is decimating wild fish populations (we are a drop in the bucket in comparison to the fish that are caught for food), but more so in a sense that it all but forces us to learn how to breed our livestock in captivity.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The simple question - (there are 2 IMHO) - 1. Did the Hawaiian ban protect fish - my answer 'no' - they were not anywhere near endangered.

You need to remove emotion and politics. It doesn't matter how or why it was done. The ban happened and I'm asking if it has impacted our hobby outside of animal selection.

Edit: so far I have read:

Price of yellow tangs
Fish selection

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
But....are we impacted. You or I? Or anyone else for that matter. We can still buy corals and fish.

Edit: I see you noted plentiful - I wasn't ignoring that as I tend to remove emotion or politics from discussions. Just for clarity.
Not at all sure what you're talking about - there was a Hawaiian ban - They did not ban 'plentiful' fish - they banned 'all' fish. - which IMHO - was stupid

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You need to remove emotion and politics. It doesn't matter how or why it was done. The ban happened and I'm asking if it has impacted our hobby outside of animal selection.
No I don't need to remove anything. Thats your opinion right? The point is there were multiple plentiful fish that were not threatened or having any problem - that were banned. This caused problems for the people that harvested those fish - as well as the hobby. I'm sorry your opinion about something does not make it 'right' or 'correct'. However it's widely known that there was no shortage of yellow tangs or others in Hawaii reefs - nor was there any danger to the fish.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Price of yellow tangs
Fish selection
BTW - There is no emotion nor politics involved - I have 2 yellow tangs - and no politics involved - I live in the midwest. It's common sense.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0

Price of yellow tangs
Fish selection

It most certainly affected the hobby. Prior to the ban when I was ordering my 270 G tank I dreamt of having a school of 7-9 yellow tangs - what a sight it would have been.

Fast forward today, I'm finishing the build and I know at current prices I refuse to buy one.

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't matter what the tang used to cost. A Big Mac used to cost a buck.
For the record, when I was in college, McDonalds slogan was ‘hamburger, fries and a coke with change back from your dollar!

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't need to remove anything. Thats your opinion right? The point is there were multiple plentiful fish that were not threatened or having any problem - that were banned. This caused problems for the people that harvested those fish - as well as the hobby. I'm sorry your opinion about something does not make it 'right' or 'correct'. However it's widely known that there was no shortage of yellow tangs or others in Hawaii reefs - nor was there any danger to the fish.

Either you are missing the point or I'm not replying properly to articulate it. When I say remove emotion or politics it is because I don't care about them. I don't care how or why the ban was in place because I have no say nor can I change it. Does that make sense? It isn't saying your opinion doesn't matter.

We can still buy corals, fish, and have displays. The sky didn't fall nor did the hobby die.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It most certainly affected the hobby. Prior to the ban when I was ordering my 270 G tank I dreamt of having a school of 7-9 yellow tangs - what a sight it would have been.

Fast forward today, I'm finishing the build and I know at current prices I refuse to buy one.

Maybe not that many in a 270 ;) Teasing aside for you it is about price.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Either you are missing the point or I'm not replying properly to articulate it. When I say remove emotion or politics it is because I don't care about them. I don't care how or why the ban was in place because I have no say nor can I change it. Does that make sense? It isn't saying your opinion doesn't matter.

We can still buy corals, fish, and have displays. The sky didn't fall nor did the hobby die.
No it does not make sense. Because many people who might have wanted to make a purchase of a yellow tank last year - were paying 4x the price. To me that is ridiculous - especially since it was for a ridiculous reason. BTW - OK - So - lets forget the Hawaiian ban - lets pretend its extended to other areas lol. Obviously one can see the progression - and btw - its a progression I've predicted for a couple years - in 10 years there will be no hobby, no reef tanks - and in 20 years - no aquariums (i.e. freshwater). PETA already advocates that position

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back