13   0   0
1679595514122.png

Reefer Matt

Officially Official Account
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see the price coming down soon for wild caught. Luckily there are plenty of other yellow fish though. And as all my posts are, this is my opinion.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it does not make sense. Because many people who might have wanted to make a purchase of a yellow tank last year - were paying 4x the price. To me that is ridiculous - especially since it was for a ridiculous reason. BTW - OK - So - lets forget the Hawaiian ban - lets pretend its extended to other areas lol. Obviously one can see the progression - and btw - its a progression I've predicted for a couple years - in 10 years there will be no hobby, no reef tanks - and in 20 years - no aquariums (i.e. freshwater). PETA already advocates that position

You really can't remove politics from discussions, can you? Who cares about the reason. You can't change it nor can you change the players behind it. Let it go.

I'm reading price as your concern. Secondly, you feel there may be other bans. Thirdly, you believe in X amount of time there will be no aquariums. Right?

I wonder for those here raising the price as a concern pay several hundred dollars for a 1/4" frag or $1,500.00 for a holy grail torch. Ignoring politics and expansion talk this is a hobby. Disposable income. We all have price points we work within. I hear, and understand, and respect those. I don't have an answer nor did you ask for one. Reptiles and avian / birds, seem to be doing well.

I don't think this hobby is going anywhere. And if restrictions continue then we have what can be bred, raised, or passed/shared between us. Limited selection I guess but still possible to have nice displays.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will sell you 2 for 2000
I have one I bought 21/2 year ago just before the prices went crazy .
i was holding onto it knowing I would probably never own another. .

if they’re selling for $2000 I might consider myself lucky for ever owning them and let it go .

just think .
they were once a $19.99 fish when I first started. .
And every store had 100’s of them

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It doesn't matter what the tang used to cost. A Big Mac used to cost a buck.
This is a silly argument - for example - there are multiple things that - due to ease of collection - OR - ease of obtaining - cost less than they did 10 years ago. But - Actually - I'm really curious as to your real agenda - is it protection of the oceans? Is it protecting pricing? What?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You really can't remove politics from discussions, can you? Who cares about the reason. You can't change it nor can you change the players behind it. Let it go.

I'm reading price as your concern. Secondly, you feel there may be other bans. Thirdly, you believe in X amount of time there will be no aquariums. Right?

I wonder for those here raising the price as a concern pay several hundred dollars for a 1/4" frag or $1,500.00 for a holy grail torch. Ignoring politics and expansion talk this is a hobby. Disposable income. We all have price points we work within. I hear, and understand, and respect those. I don't have an answer nor did you ask for one. Reptiles and avian / birds, seem to be doing well.

I don't think this hobby is going anywhere. And if restrictions continue then we have what can be bred, raised, or passed/shared between us. Limited selection I guess but still possible to have nice displays.
I'm not going to read the rest of your post except the first paragraph before responding. You - IMHO - said - take politics and xxx out of discussions. Now you're saying ignore that.

I stand by my post - with thoughts like yours - this hobby will be extinct in 10 years (should I use Al Gore's 12 year prediction lol that was a joke) - Aquaria as a hobby will be extinct - fresh and saltwater in 20-30 years. Due to logic you're using - again not an insult - just an opinion based on your logic

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just want to make sure I made my point - YOU have said remove politics from discussion - yet you say we should remove politics from discussions?

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to make sure I made my point - YOU have said remove politics from discussion - yet you say we should remove politics from discussions?

With regards to adding PETA or the ban being silly or unjustified. That is what I am talking about. Those bring out emotions in people wouldn't you agree?

I'm trying to remove the noise and things out of our control. Agree or disagree with it matters not. We are talking about what we, hobbyists, can control.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not going to read the rest of your post except the first paragraph before responding. You - IMHO - said - take politics and xxx out of discussions. Now you're saying ignore that.

I stand by my post - with thoughts like yours - this hobby will be extinct in 10 years (should I use Al Gore's 12 year prediction lol that was a joke) - Aquaria as a hobby will be extinct - fresh and saltwater in 20-30 years. Due to logic you're using - again not an insult - just an opinion based on your logic

No insult taken. The hobby will still be here. Set up a calendar reminder and we'll chat then.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm really curious as to your real agenda - is it protection of the oceans? Is it protecting pricing? What?

Can you please elaborate where I've said anything along those lines? I asked a question how the ban is affecting the hobby outside of fish selection. So far you are the only one to bring in PETA or how it is silly or similar things the two of us have no control over. I've tried to clear it up yet here we are.

I've heard price and selection. Then I followed up and said I wonder how many are paying several hundred dollars for 1/4" frags or $1500.00 for a head of a torch.

I'll give it another go before we should both leave it alone. You, nor I, have no say in the ban, what transpired, went down, etc. Agree? So we put that aside and now we are both at a table having a beverage of choice and breaking bread and talking displays. You may say prices of captive bred Hawaiian fish are insane right and I may say yeah, you are right...but you can still buy one so there is that.

Now what is your favorite beverage and let us move on.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't matter what the tang used to cost. A Big Mac used to cost a buck.
But cows aren't banned. If they banned cows how much would your Big Mac cost?

I guess I'm lucky at this point. I never liked yellow tangs and I don't remember ever keeping one in my 30+ years of reefing.

My only gripe about the whole situation is the ban is mostly done for emotional reasons and not scientific reasons.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ignoring the reaction I would ask a simple question. Has the Hawaiian ban impacted our hobby at all outside some ornamental fish being unavailable? Don't get me wrong I would love a Potter's but will wait.

Not trying to start an argument - sorry.
I do wonder if the price increase seen in yellow tangs and the fact people were willing to pay them up to a certain point increased prices in other areas knowing people were willing to pay them. My impression from the early days of getting into the hobby was a lot of the hobbyist were cheap people. Everyone seemed to do whatever it took to save a buck. In the last 10 to 15 years it seems that the people getting into the hobby have a lot more disposable income and therefore are willing to spend a lot more. With this influx we've seen prices go up.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do wonder if the price increase seen in yellow tangs and the fact people were willing to pay them up to a certain point increased prices in other areas knowing people were willing to pay them. My impression from the early days of getting into the hobby was a lot of the hobbyist were cheap people. Everyone seemed to do whatever it took to save a buck. In the last 10 to 15 years it seems that the people getting into the hobby have a lot more disposable income and therefore are willing to spend a lot more. With this influx we've seen prices go up.
I somewhat agree with this .
I believe if the new people to
The hobby were as cheap as they used to be there is no way anyone would pay $100 for a frag or $500 for a fish .
There would be no demand there for there wouldn’t be high prices . But also considering the selection of what’s available now compared to 20+ years ago ….

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I somewhat agree with this .
I believe if the new people to
The hobby were as cheap as they used to be there is no way anyone would pay $100 for a frag or $500 for a fish .
There would be no demand there for there wouldn’t be high prices . But also considering the selection of what’s available now compared to 20+ years ago ….
At that time I remember buying massive colonies of any coral available in that time for $20-$30
You would often see very nice and huge pieces for $40 max .

clownfish we’re dirt cheap .
damsels had minimal value and used to cycle new tanks . As well as black mollies
Every restaurant had tanks filled with 100’s of yellow tangs ( there was a Dairy Queen and country style coffee donuts
They had a massive 2000 gal cylinder tank in the centre of the store .
It’s still there but drained and they built a wall around it .

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back