What has happened to my sad zoas?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since yesterday my zoas have all (not just the ones in the pictures) sagged and lost color. Here are some before and after photos. Look at the left polyp for a dramatic example of the color loss. The parameters are the same as they always are. Only two things have changed in that time. I fed my zoas for 2 days in a row, which I have never done before. I spot feed with Reef Roids, so they each get a blob of it. And I added a single dose of Seachem iodide using the smallest recommended dose (1ml / 10 gal.) This morning I made a 50% water change. There has been no improvement. Could either of those have caused this?

1.jpg

2.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Let’s start with parameters
What test kits are you using ?

what is your:
Ammonia
Nitrate
Temperature
Ph
Salinity
Phosphate

also looking at zoa very closely, any signs of little spiders on them which are really tiny

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No spiders or anything. I just went and looked at them and they seem to be improving. The skirt is coming back up slowly. My purple monsters were a disaster. They were open but all twisted and contorted on the end. Like a crushed ball of paper. They seem to be flattening out now. I think the worst is over. Do you think it would help them to be in the dark or light right now. I have seen posts saying both.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No spiders or anything. I just went and looked at them and they seem to be improving. The skirt is coming back up slowly. My purple monsters were a disaster. They were open but all twisted and contorted on the end. Like a crushed ball of paper. They seem to be flattening out now. I think the worst is over. Do you think it would help them to be in the dark or light right now. I have seen posts saying both.

hard to give advice with little knowledge of your tank, maybe answer the above questions then you will probably get better advice.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color loss is due to the zooxanthellae algae in the zoanthid tissues changing. Usual suspects are lighting issues or possibly accedential reduced salinity.

Do you have a refractometer?
Your 1.024 doesn't count if you are using a swing arm, lol

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Color loss is due to the zooxanthellae algae in the zoanthid tissues changing. Usual suspects are lighting issues or possibly accedential reduced salinity.

Do you have a refractometer?
Your 1.024 doesn't count if you are using a swing arm, lol
It is 1.024 with my refractometer. I did add some freshwater last night that brought it down from 1.026. Was that too much of a change to make over about 10 minutes?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is 1.024 with my refractometer. I did add some freshwater last night that brought it down from 1.026. Was that too much of a change to make over about 10 minutes?
Don't think so....

Smthg happened to the zooxanthellae inside the tissues.

What lights are you using? Any changes to colors, intensity or photo period?

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using the LEDs that came with the tank. It is an AIO. Probably not the greatest. As to the photoperiod, I just returned it to normal after 3 days of greatly reduced lighting time to deal with some dino's. So, the lights were on for a normal amount of time yesterday when things started going wrong.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to the photoperiod, I just returned it to normal after 3 days of greatly reduced lighting time to deal with some dino's.
There you have it. The reintroduction of light made some zooxanthellae die off.

It will return when lighting stabilizes

Just remember that zoa discs are like solar panels that are sensitive to intensities in light. They take time to adjust to stable intensity and photo periods

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back