What has Shorted/ Caught Fire in Your Tank?

What of your equipment has shorted/caught fire

• Power Heads

Votes: 65 20.4%
  • Return Pump

Votes: 30 9.4%
  • Heater

Votes: 126 39.6%
  • Power Strip

Votes: 122 38.4%
  • Skimmer Pump

Votes: 10 3.1%
  • Black Box LED

Votes: 11 3.5%
  • Metal Halide fixture or Ballast

Votes: 12 3.8%
  • t5 Fixture or Ballast

Votes: 14 4.4%
  • Other LED Fixture or Ballast

Votes: 18 5.7%
  • Doser

Votes: 6 1.9%

• Total voters

TheLadyCrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a JBJ Orion LT either short or overheat on me. I had it for only 2 months maybe when it happened. I was in my office at home luckily when all of a sudden I could smell burning plastic/electronics that was so bad I had to put it outside because the entire house smelled. I was able to narrow it down to the power brick very quickly and unplugged it before any major damage was done. I don’t know if it would have caught fire or not but either way it was a quick upgrade to AI Hydra HD 26s and no looking back!

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
way back when ( about 4 yrs ago ) when I knew little about tanks I had a big t5 unit but liked the idea of having dark blue lights for the evening/night. So I went on ebay and bought a cheap ( oh..you know what's coming now don't you ) strip of blue led lights that had a sticky back to attach to the glass inside the tank. It was water proof and looked really good. I set it up on it's own time switch so it was running for about 5 hrs each day. The boss and I went away for a week and I left my son in charge of the tank with a LONG list of things to do. He was a bit surprised to come home one evening and smell smoke...came into the main room where the tank is to find that the electric plug attached to the led's smoking like mad. I reckon another 15 mins and a fire would have broken out. He got the oven glove..grabbed the plug..and pulled it out. Needless to say..never bought another one.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I over filled the top off and the power strip got a bath, the lights started flickering. No melt down because I was there to address it . I should have known better than having the strip laying on the ground next to the tank.

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I over filled the top off and the power strip got a bath, the lights started flickering. No melt down because I was there to address it . I should have known better than having the strip laying on the ground next to the tank.
Same thing happened to me. I was in the house at the time and smelled smoke. Saw the whole power strip smoking and had to throw it outside. Lots of toxic plastic smoke. I don't buy plastic power strips anymore. For anything.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fire here either, but have fried a couple of cheap power strips. I don't use the cheap ones anymore (and make sure water cannot drip/splash onto them).

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was used for portable heaters. I will guess that the little circuit breaker on this had tripped multiple times then failed.
FYI curcuit breakers are only guaranteed to trip ONCE. I did a service upgrade after a fire because of a breaker that was reset numerous times.
1566224816256.png

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My battery backup wire to my mp40 caught fire. This was about 8 years ago. My teenage son called 911 and the firefighters put out the smolder. There was a recall that I never heard about where they replaced the wire with a fused wire. I believe the battery backup was an icecap version, which later ecotech purchased I believe.

I also had an mj1200 mod give me quite a jolt back in the day...

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Ice cap Will check it out, THANKS......Did the firemen like hit your tank with 1000 gallons a minueto_O

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first hooked up a tank, I forgot to double check my hose connections. Sprayed right into the wall outlet. Started on fire. Luckily the house breaker tripped and putting out the little fire was easy peasy. But now I pay very close attention to connections and make sure every plug is 1) GFCI and 2) has a weatherproof door/cover installed.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had a mag drive 7 Start sparking in the sump and melted down causing a bunch of black smoke and black soot in the water... Lucky I was there.

I had a Odyssea ballast start to smoke and again lucky I was there.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Ice cap Will check it out, THANKS......Did the firemen like hit your tank with 1000 gallons a minueto_O
No, the wiring was melting so they put chemical extinguisher on the wiring in the back of the tank. They then had shut off the electricity to the tank. I was home a few minutes later. My biggest worry at the time was seeing the firetruck out front of my house when my 2 kids were home alone! I have some pics somewhere I’ll dig up and share of the damage.

To prevent this, the wire from the icecap battery to the pump should have a fuse in it. Look for a barrel shaped piece in the wiring. If you see the pic below, the fuse is on the right side. Mine was a very early model btw.

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, the wiring was melting so they put chemical extinguisher on the wiring in the back of the tank. They then had shut off the electricity to the tank. I was home a few minutes later. My biggest worry at the time was seeing the firetruck out front of my house when my 2 kids were home alone! I have some pics somewhere I’ll dig up and share of the damage.

To prevent this, the wire from the ac adapter to the icecap battery should have a fuse in it. Look for a barrel shaped piece in the wiring. If you see the pic below, the fuse is on the right side. Mine was a very early model btw.

Great information!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a mag drive 7 Start sparking in the sump and melted down causing a bunch of black smoke and black soot in the water... Lucky I was there.

I had a Odyssea ballast start to smoke and again lucky I was there.
I have a couple mag drives running right now. One of my favorite pumps. Any words of advice?

mucky1957

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a long time ago I bought a strip light led ( blue ) which worked fine. Went away for the weekend and my son was coming in to 'check up on the tank'. Just as well he did. The second he walked into the house he could smell burning. The cable had shorted and was VERY hot. He pulled the switch and threw the lot out into the back garden. Never bought another.

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoshH has promised some more pics of the tank. It's really hard to be patient and not ask him every day :)
I had a cheap power head shock me in my saltwater mixing tank and 2 return pumps shorted because of an long spin urchin ate
DF6985B4-DDB2-4C94-9CBB-DCA9C0FBD71E.jpeg
through the cord!
Just curious on how the urchin faired

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fire because I cought it almost instantly had a hob skimmer overflow from the drain hitting a powerstrip that I turned off instead of unplugging needless to say I got little shocked

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back