What has you most excited about the reef hobby these days?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What excites you most about reefing these days? For me, it's the advances in tech. I'm a reef gear nerd (if only I had the budget to buy all the gear I REALLy want! Haha!!), and watching the advances in recent years in things like lighting and automated testing has always excited me. I love watching ways that the hobby is advancing.

What about you? What's got you most excited right now?

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive-bred fish. This will lead to healthier, better adaptive fish in our aquariums, which means less fish loss. It also reduces my fear of pelicans busting into my office.

7zE.gif

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Actually . . . . . . .
The amount of people that are getting into the hobby !

radiata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm most excited (or maybe perturbed?) about are the critters I can't buy any cultures for. These cultures are for me to personally culture and to feed to my reef.

The first is a culture of Moina salina, a.k.a. "marine water fleas". They are akin to fresh water daphnia. They were once sold live by AlaGen, but they stopped culturing them a few years back. The only US source I can find for this species is in Ohio, but they don't ship. They are cultured and sold in the UK and in the EU, but they won't ship them to the US. My best guess is that they just don't ship very well.

The second is a culture of Sphaeromatid Isopods that a vendor says absolutely fantastic things about ("a great cleanup crew", "a highly nutritious profile. Containing Omega 3 – 6 fatty acids and many more powerful vitamins and elements to provide the healthiest diet for captive kept marine animals of all types.", a "breeding colony can produce millions of baby pods per week", we "have been aquaculturing these pods for a number of years here", "These pods are very prolific breeders. With a few of these in your tank they will multiply rapidly and spread out, producing thousand of nauplii and multiple stages of juveniles.", "They make an excellent live food source for Seahorses, Mandarins, Dragonettes, Pipefish and many other fish that feed on live zooplankton.", "These are a hardy species that we have adapted through many generations of culturing to home aquarium conditions.", yada, yada... Sounds really great right? But the vendor's web page says they're "Sold Out". Indeed they've been "Sold Out" for months (I check the web page daily). It looks to me like the vendor has never sold any of them...

Can anyone give me a lead for locating live cultures of either of these two?

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Clo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have a new tank, it’s seeing the growth of my fish and corals. :)

I think my clown fish have grown almost 2 inches if not more since I’ve first gotten them.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new build but for me the fun part is the build I get board pretty fast after it’s done

CreatiVe2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The innovations in dosing technology!
for years It has always been a battle to get alk, cal, mag and trace elements perfectly in line with multiple dosing pumps, schedules, and tests. Now, I use the tropic marin all for reef system, and the rock stable consistency of my levels has finally allowed me to sit back and watch the tank flourish. I no longer have the stress of an expensive coral possibly dying bc i forgot to adjust my alk, or dose trace minerals that week.

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What excites me is the variety of types of tanks one can keep, and I don't mean designs. Like species specific tank (predators, seahorses), SPS or Softies only (Im progressing away from SPS and going softies since I have better luck there). Nothing is ever stationary, things are always changing and new things to try!

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am in the hobby for the livestock and seeing corals and fish grow and show their best is what excites me the most about the hobby.

I do enjoy nice gear, but they are only there to serve a purpose and not the main reason that I reef. There are too many times I see people deck out their system with expensive gear (Apex, Ca Rx, dosing system, ++++) to just maintain a tank full of hair algae.

The fun part is learning how to keep a balance system and the dream tank full of corals and fat fishes. That is what excites me and what I consider as success.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me its my local reefing community. Our area has never had a good reef club that i could find so I was always stuck buying coral from way overpriced LFS or online. Recently I discovered something called a "band" that has an incredibly active local reefing group that is constantly selling and trading very nice coral for great prices.

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What excites you most about reefing these days? For me, it's the advances in tech. I'm a reef gear nerd (if only I had the budget to buy all the gear I REALLy want! Haha!!), and watching the advances in recent years in things like lighting and automated testing has always excited me. I love watching ways that the hobby is advancing.

What about you? What's got you most excited right now?
I would have to say how technology has advanced and made it much easier. The only thing I wish is that the cost would not be so high for it can be quite costly. Other than that I love the hobby.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back