What have been your experiences with pairing and breeding clownfish?

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I ask a lot of questions about clownfish. XD I love them, can't help it. And I just want to know more and more, especially things that we might not necessarily always reveal (not necessarily because we don't want to, just it may never really come up).

So I am bringing it up now.

For those who experienced pairing and breeding clownfish, I want to ask a few things. The questions may or may not apply to you specifically, so feel free to skip or elaborate on any of the points.
1. Generally speaking, how successful have been 'bonded' pairs you bought either online or at a LFS? Any specifics you may have noticed that contributed to their success once they are added to your aquarium?
2. How often do you find mating/pairing to go wrong, and one fish gets injured/killed? Any signs you notice that seems to point towards either aggression leads to injuries/death, or to a successful pair forming? Any details here in particular would be great.
3. What kind of interactions have you seen between paired clownfish? Do they more often swim together? Do sometimes a male gets relegated to a corner anyways, despite being 'paired'? Etc.
4. When introducing a new clownfish to an existing clownfish, how often do they get along or otherwise? Presuming the original fish is female, do you notice any patterns that would indicate success or failure? Is there a trend that it is more the personality of the female clownfish than anything, i.e. if she ain't accepting one new mate, she ain't accepting any?
5. How often and what type of 'mating' behavior do you observe?
6. Anything else?

Apologies if some of the questions are a bit open-ended (or the reverse). I am just very curious of experiences, so feel free to elaborate as you wish or just ignore the questions and tell your story your way. :D

And yes, I know there are plenty of threads here and everywhere, but it does not cover a lot of the details I may be looking for. So asking now. :)

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first clown was a blood orange which I loved and despite people telling me it might not work I paired her with a naked ocellaris. Never had any real aggression issues as the naked clown would shimmy but the blood orange was a huge bully and would nip at my puffer whenever I dropped a mostly closed clam in the tank. The stupid fish wouldn't let the puffer open the clams and would defend it but sometimes never actually got her meal. Stupid to watch. I rehomed her after about a year and never saw them spawn.

My reluctant self tried to repair the naked clown with a very small maroon clown. Again I think they did pair (the naked clown becoming larger in size and asserting dominance) but after the last 9 months of them together I still haven't seen spawning behavior and its likely a failed experiment. The maroon defends the large GSP mass I have and I need to fully glove up as it is nipper.

This leaves me with my final thoughts, I don't actually like maroon clowns, just the coloration. Leave cross breeding for professionals and don't attempt it on the first try.

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first clown was a blood orange which I loved and despite people telling me it might not work I paired her with a naked ocellaris. Never had any real aggression issues as the naked clown would shimmy but the blood orange was a huge bully and would nip at my puffer whenever I dropped a mostly closed clam in the tank. The stupid fish wouldn't let the puffer open the clams and would defend it but sometimes never actually got her meal. Stupid to watch. I rehomed her after about a year and never saw them spawn.

My reluctant self tried to repair the naked clown with a very small maroon clown. Again I think they did pair (the naked clown becoming larger in size and asserting dominance) but after the last 9 months of them together I still haven't seen spawning behavior and its likely a failed experiment. The maroon defends the large GSP mass I have and I need to fully glove up as it is nipper.

This leaves me with my final thoughts, I don't actually like maroon clowns, just the coloration. Leave cross breeding for professionals and don't attempt it on the first try.
Thanks and lol. Yeah I have a cinnamon and occy co-habitating as well, also showing signs of pairing up. Though I have no idea if it would lead anything, but hey, worse case scenario I get to watch two different species of clownfish for while.

Are you planning to keep on having the maroon and occy together and just let it be, or maybe rehome the maroon and find an actual occy mate?

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am worried about the maroon becoming a terror and ruining the community feel of the tank. He will likely be re-homed in the next month. Also I dont love being bitten by my pets

NeonRabbit221B

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something splotchy add with slight darker orange coloration. Saw some black ice and gladiator mochas that I really liked. I don't tend to like the look of the traditional occys and love the dark robust maroon color but they bite hard. Taking recommendations though!

OP
OP
Azedenkae

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something splotchy add with slight darker orange coloration. Saw some black ice and gladiator mochas that I really liked. I don't tend to like the look of the traditional occys and love the dark robust maroon color but they bite hard. Taking recommendations though!
I do very much like gladiators. If you want something a bit darker, mochas does seem to make sense. I was looking at the list of clownfish on the ORAfarm website, and there could be quite a few that you might like. But does not seem to always be available from retailers. But yeah, I guess of everything, gladiator mochas are already a great choice.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back