What have you been Postponing on your reef maintenance

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been postponing my sand cleaning I know it’s about time to do it but it just sounds like such a pain in the back, I also haven’t clean my return pump since forever.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last three years I have not kept up with trimming back SPS growth. It is war in there now. All the rocks are bound together with monti, stylo, acro. Prized acros are being shaded out. I have to run 2 MP40s and two gyres and still choked for flow. The DT still looks good from afar, but up close you can see a major remodel is necessary.

In a way, I kinda doomed it from the start with my aquascape not being open enough. Just a huge rock wall.

I've been putting it off over and over, knowing once I start breaking it up it is going to look bad for a while. My New Years resolution I think.

SallyWho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total sump clean out, taking apart skimmer for cleaning, taking a toothbrush to the inside of the hard-to-reach exterior overflow box, and building a new canopy to hang from the ceiling because the current one is busted.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Total sump drain and scrub cleanout is prob the worst part of this hobby

I’ve also been avoiding the replacement of the refugium mud, supposedly should of started the process last year, it’s been on 3 years It’s just such a messy work

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve also been avoiding the replacement of the refugium mud, supposedly should of started the process last year, it’s been on 3 years It’s just such a messy work

Just a quick side question... you replace fuge mud because it... becomes depleted? Or becomes saturated? What changes with the mud over time? Sorry if this is a dumb question but curious.

Rollman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Added my fuge and chaeto last month. Everything is growing in sump including diatoms and Cyano. Just drained my sump and scrubbed, need to add small powerhead. I agree its a pita but looks so much better.

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Return pump and powerhead cleaning. Probably should clean the skimmer too.

Yup, same here when it comes to the sump cleanout and return pump and powerhead cleaning. I also need to clean up the cabinet from salt spray in the sump area.

OP
OP
sixty_reefer

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick side question... you replace fuge mud because it... becomes depleted? Or becomes saturated? What changes with the mud over time? Sorry if this is a dumb question but curious.
In my case I need to change it because it disintegrated it’s not solid, hard of explain but it’s just a pain. I had it for 3 years now, if I knew I wouldn’t never add it to the tank.

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installing my rodi auto shutoff I've had for over a yr so I'll quit making early morning appointments with the shop vac. I is so smart

Travis Wagner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added my fuge and chaeto last month. Everything is growing in sump including diatoms and Cyano. Just drained my sump and scrubbed, need to add small powerhead. I agree its a pita but looks so much better.
What size power head would be good for increasing fuge flow? I also notice it’s accumulating all types of algae.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of you are making me feel a lot better about my less than aggressive maintenance regime. Thanks!

Goose91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the last three years I have not kept up with trimming back SPS growth. It is war in there now. All the rocks are bound together with monti, stylo, acro. Prized acros are being shaded out. I have to run 2 MP40s and two gyres and still choked for flow. The DT still looks good from afar, but up close you can see a major remodel is necessary.

In a way, I kinda doomed it from the start with my aquascape not being open enough. Just a huge rock wall.

I've been putting it off over and over, knowing once I start breaking it up it is going to look bad for a while. My New Years resolution I think.
Why not get a sps nipping fish? Balance the system. And less work for you ;)

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a few months I put off cleaning my 90 gallon frag tank. Friday I broke it down rack by rack, bleached them, dipped them in muriatic acid, cut them slightly smaller, drilled them and then re glued acrylic legs back on to them. Its been overgrown with mother colonies, coraline algae and some sort of turf algae and there hasn't been any room for frags. It feels good to get it back on track and make some frags over the weekend.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back