What have you tried, against popular opinion not to, that actually yielded results?

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Describe anything you've tried....against popular opinions not to do....and you actually saw success

Mine:

1) always read that tank temp should remain constant below 80 degrees. Popular opinion says "80 degrees or higher is too HOT". My tank is 90% zoas palys and noticed when hot summer days shot my tank above 80 my zoas palys actually looked better....the skirts and center disc fleshier. I've since dialed my tank to stay btwn 80-81 and my zoas palys not only look better but are growing faster. My fish dont seem to mind either as I've seen my tangs play in the random flow swimming backnforth. Plans are to maintain 80-81 thru these upcoming Winter months

2) always read zoas palys are mid to low light. Popular opinion says "too much white light and your zoas palys will bleach out". I also tried using my white light to PAR them out with 6hrs of high white light. Also seeing brighter colors during actinic only lighting.... and def more growth but it may be a combo of light and 80 degree water. Idk

3) always read not to use an airstone in the DT. Popular opinion says "airstone in your DT will make a salt creep mess plus your fish will develop a gill disease plus bubbles will get trapped under corals stressing and killing them"..... I do use an airstone ziptied to a PH and run micro bubbles from 12am to 9am. NO salt creep bc the bubbles are micro when they pop. No fish gill disease that's claimed also. No stressed out corals with pockets of air under them. All after 3yrs of running micro bubbles in the DT

What are your "against popular opinion" things you've tried with success?

Last edited:

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We put up a 600W green house LED over a SPS tank. Lots of red diods, more than 50% of them.
The lamp is still up after two years,the corals are doing fine.

But I think one important factor might be that the corals also get a lot of light from metal halides. So don't try this at home ;)

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We put up a 600W green house LED over a SPS tank. Lots of red diods, more than 50% of them.
The lamp is still up after two years,the corals are doing fine.

But I think one important factor might be that the corals also get a lot of light from metal halides. So don't try this at home ;)

So if I can’t try this at home where you want me to try it then?

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I can’t try this at home where you want me to try it then?
Find a two meter deep tank ;)

No, I just don't anyone to try lots of red light and have corals dying :) You need to have some other wavelengths too to get the corals to be able to handle red light(I've done a long term experiment on red vs red+blue).

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back