What "high tech" stuff have you added to your tank? (not normal "aquarium" tech!)

BigMikeFlipz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What "high tech" gear have you DIYed or bought to use on your aquarium, fish room, etc? Not the normal Apex Neptune, controller, etc type gear, what ELSE have you added?

Anyone used a Raspberry Pi to do some random controls?
Anyone written their own app or modded a tablet/phone to use for their gear?
Anyone 3D print some special something for your setup?
What special modding have you done to your setup?

So far I have only added a Kasa wifi power strip but have a Raspberry Pi that I may use for some feature (there's an open source reef tank controller out in Git)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it's the Kasa power bars. I also have a pi that I would like to try and do something with using reef-pi featured here or another open source reef version.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote my own controller in ruby, bash and j2ee with all kinds of logging to mysql run on an old Mac Mini with usb temp, ph, BT and USB outlets, other probes and a camera. I switched out the mysql to a flat type of nosql storage later on... just to do it (no real reason). It backed it's self up to AWS and I could ssh into it at root. I found out that it never knew anything that I did not know, or needed to know, so I just took it offline when the probes started to wander. It was too much of a pain for an expensive timer. I put the code in github a long time ago.

It was easier to write direct code than to write an interpreter for the pseudocode that is in an Apex, or other things.

I am hesitant to call this high tech since while it was technological, it did not really serve a purpose... and I am the kind of guy who needs tech to do something useful to think highly of it.

I have a temp controller (ranco) and some of my powerheads have their own. I test alk about once a week and peek at the bubbles and effluent rate from CaRx daily. That is enough for me.

OP
OP
BigMikeFlipz

BigMikeFlipz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wrote my own controller in ruby, bash and j2ee with all kinds of logging to mysql run on an old Mac Mini with usb temp, ph, BT and USB outlets, other probes and a camera. I switched out the mysql to a flat type of nosql storage later on... just to do it (no real reason). It backed it's self up to AWS and I could ssh into it at root. I found out that it never knew anything that I did not know, or needed to know, so I just took it offline when the probes started to wander. It was too much of a pain for an expensive timer. I put the code in github a long time ago.

It was easier to write direct code than to write an interpreter for the pseudocode that is in an Apex, or other things.

I am hesitant to call this high tech since while it was technological, it did not really serve a purpose... and I am the kind of guy who needs tech to do something useful to think highly of it.

I have a temp controller (ranco) and some of my powerheads have their own. I test alk about once a week and peek at the bubbles and effluent rate from CaRx daily. That is enough for me.
I call this pretty freaking high tech. Use can be negotiated or weighed differently by everyone. Well done developing it and all good on removing use. I personally think it cool!

Back