What I learned after 20 years. K.I.S.S.

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my first reef back in '99 and since then I've had 5 major redos. Along the way, I have tried many different techniques and faced most every major nuisance. Today I'm about 6 months into restarting my reef after I lost nearly all my corals last winter, and I have to say my reef has never seemed healthier. It's still got a couple years to go in terms of filling in, but so far the fish and the corals simply look fantastic, but here's the thing . . . I cut out everything except the skimmer and the sump, no refugium, no GAC, no sock, no calcium reactor. I did buy new live rock from KP Aquatics when I restarted my tank, and I am dosing B-Ionic and Red Sea NO3POX, but the system is as simple as it gets equipment wise: live rock, skimmer, and strong lighting. I have some pictures of the current system and they are not too impressive at the moment, but give it time. I've also included pics of my old reefs including my famous pick from 2011. Anyways, just thought I'd share my thoughts in case anyone is interested :)

FTS2.JPG corals.JPG Biosphere0101b.jpg BiosphereMarch06.jpg Zenith.jpg FTS2016_zpshfs0fajp.jpg sump.JPG

blstravler

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your tanks are beautiful I’m sure the new one will be as well.

I’m just getting back into the hobby after 10 years and it’s gotten very complicated. I’m basically doing what I did last time. Strong light (though LED and not MH this time around), a Calcium Reactor, RODI water, UV and filter socks.

IMO it’s also crazy to see how people are really hard on you if you don’t do what they or the community generally accepts. It’s like you aren’t t allowed to learn from your own mistakes anymore.

krash7172

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a newer reefer, I'm still making mistakes but R2R helps to minimize! I too believe in simplicity. I don't go crazy chasing perfect parameters for anything specific. I'd prefer to have a sustainable tank that only requires routine water changes with a quality salt. I only test SG and KH. I know this might limit what corals I can grow but after a year, I am very happy with my tank.

JoeD_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im just getting back into the hobby after a few year layoff. I too am trying to keep everything as simple as possible. Though, I am trying to nail down the basics. Really only focusing on stability... Ato/kalk and really monitoring alk. Also doing weekly water changes, which seems like a lot of the hobby has tried to do away with.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding subject on this thread. I am far from a newbie with 48 years of addiction. It is a pet peeve of mine to have some successful reefers who have mastered the SPS craze to look down at softies as weeds, invasive and of no significance.

God does not make junk. His Creation is Beautiful.

@2Sunny
Thank you for your beautiful pictures and keep it coming.

JoeD_

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outstanding subject on this thread. I am far from a newbie with 48 years of addiction. It is a pet peeve of mine to have some successful reefers who have mastered the SPS craze to look down at softies as weeds, invasive and of no significance.

God does not make junk. His Creation is Beautiful.

@2Sunny
Thank you for your beautiful pictures and keep it coming.

This hobby should be all bout what YOU think is cool! Not the new craze! I love acros, no love for softies either, but that should mean nothing to a softie lover

zzl630

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was trying to set up an 48” cube inspired by you. Were you able to locate a tyree purple monster? Can’t find it anywhere nowadays.

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my belief that reef tanks btwn the age of 9mos to 2yrs is as good as it gets as far as looks, low maintenance, etc.

Past 2yrs into the following years IMO thats when NO3/PO4 starts to build up small cracks in the LR, in deadspot in the tank.....then you graduate into the GHA years.

In those later years you need to step up maintenance by blowing off rocks, running filter socks, wet skimming more, more WCs.

Im.sure there will be feedback saying, "well I have a 10yr old tank and it's perfect and I dont do much as far as maintenance". I will say then you're one of the lucky ones who happens to have lined up about 100 different factors that dont give you trouble. You're in the 10%. The other 90% have to fight "old tank syndrome" where we have to step up our game

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was trying to set up an 48” cube inspired by you. Were you able to locate a tyree purple monster? Can’t find it anywhere nowadays.

Sorry for the slow reply. Was away on vaca for a couple weeks. Anyways, no, I have not yet got my hands on Tyree Purple Monster. I believe there is a reefer in NJ that has a colony, but he hasn't been online here in awhile. I'm keepin' my eyes peeled though :D

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's my belief that reef tanks btwn the age of 9mos to 2yrs is as good as it gets as far as looks, low maintenance, etc.

Past 2yrs into the following years IMO thats when NO3/PO4 starts to build up small cracks in the LR, in deadspot in the tank.....then you graduate into the GHA years.

In those later years you need to step up maintenance by blowing off rocks, running filter socks, wet skimming more, more WCs.

Im.sure there will be feedback saying, "well I have a 10yr old tank and it's perfect and I dont do much as far as maintenance". I will say then you're one of the lucky ones who happens to have lined up about 100 different factors that dont give you trouble. You're in the 10%. The other 90% have to fight "old tank syndrome" where we have to step up our game
Couldn't agree more that once a home reef fills in the maintenance goes way up if you try to keep it stable. That's why I have always opted for a redo. One, I'm lazy and two, I enjoy the grow out period. That laziness is also the reason I originally switched to a open top low set cube. I can easily reach every inch of my tank and pulling out rock and re-aquascaping is a cinch. The downside is fish jumping out which seems to happen a couple times a year. I tried a mesh cover, but I just got tired of it being there as one of my favorite ways to enjoy my reef is looking down on it especially now with the huge "beach" I created. It really looks amazing top down at night with only blue LEDs on.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Always loved your reef @2Sunny!

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always loved your reef @2Sunny!

Thank you. :D

Love what you've done with the forum. Obviously a labor of love and it shows!

@2Sunny , are you using a heater? Or do you live in a climate that just allows you to go with room temperature?

Yes, I do have dual 250 watt heaters in my sump, but they only turn on January thru February. I'm really lucky in that I have the large basement sump that gets cooled by a stand up fan. The power consumption for cooling is almost zero. (of curse keeping my whole house at 74 in the summer is NOT so cheap) I also keep the temp very tight at 76.9 to 78.1. I don't think that actually is necessary or even really beneficial. It's just how I like it, and it certainly hasn't hurt anything.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great stuff! I look forward to seeing this reef fill in!

OP
OP
2Sunny

2Sunny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this greyish/whitish with green tips Radianthus Crispa at House of Fins and told them I was interested, but I wasn't willing to throw away my decade old Magnifica. Lucky me Keith from House of Fins has connections at the Norwalk Aquarium and so now my monster Magnifica is on display in Norwalk, and I am the proud owner of a new Crispa. How cool is that :D

Oh, and another super cool change occured . . . I had a male Anthias that died so I went out and bought a young male replacement. Two weeks later the largest female has become a Super Male and is now in charge. How cool is THAT?? You can see him in both videos. Fortunately, the smaller male has learned to stay out of sight.

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's a beauty for sure!!

oneilwiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this greyish/whitish with green tips Radianthus Crispa at House of Fins and told them I was interested, but I wasn't willing to throw away my decade old Magnifica. Lucky me Keith from House of Fins has connections at the Norwalk Aquarium and so now my monster Magnifica is on display in Norwalk, and I am the proud owner of a new Crispa. How cool is that :D

Oh, and another super cool change occured . . . I had a male Anthias that died so I went out and bought a young male replacement. Two weeks later the largest female has become a Super Male and is now in charge. How cool is THAT?? You can see him in both videos. Fortunately, the smaller male has learned to stay out of sight.

Nice man house of fins always got some nice fish and corals

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your earlier tank, what kind of coral is this? Having a hard time figuring it out from this zoom. Zoas?
1582321134361.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back