OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same experience when I bought my 450 gal from Miracles 4 years ago. They were significantly less expensive for the low iron glass “upgrade” vs other manufacturers.

Can’t remember if Miracles uses Starfire (brand) or other low iron glass.

I did have what looked like etching on the glass that I could feel with my fingernail, it was almost as if a coating on the glass had been damaged by having something drip down the glass that damaged and removed the coating. It was quite visible when the tank was empty but when filled with water it’s very hard to see. Only I know it’s there but it was a bit disappointing. I contemplated returning the tank but decided against it for the hassle... not sure if anyone has ever experienced something like this with low iron glass.
They are using PPG Starphire on my build. Seems that’s what Derek prefers.
Curious, what did Miracles say about the blemish? They told me low iron was typically 6% softer than regular.

Ryan Doolittle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure inventorying glass is incredibly expensive. I own my own business and we sell books and DVDs and it takes lots of space and cash flow. I honestly cannot imagine the cost of keeping large glass panels. However companies that do will be far more competitive. In comparison Miracles was considerably lower than the other two builders and they are still making a profit on my build. Honestly it's hard to imagine someone paying up to twice as much as they need to on a custom build. But, this is America (and Canada for Miracles) and companies can charge what they want.

It took too long for Reef Savvy to get back to me, I had already gone with Miracles.
When you are talking about cost are you accounting for the dollar exchange. Another reason a Canadian made tank would be cheaper, your money instantly goes 40% further.

Another thing I wonder, that maybe you can answer, what is the freight cost difference between a manufacturer in the USA and having one shipped from Canada.

Concept Aquariums in about 2 hours from my front door, Dave has always had great prices, I haven't talked to him in a while about what he stocks for glass but I know any finishing work that isn't done to the glass is done out of house.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you are talking about cost are you accounting for the dollar exchange. Another reason a Canadian made tank would be cheaper, your money instantly goes 40% further.

Another thing I wonder, that maybe you can answer, what is the freight cost difference between a manufacturer in the USA and having one shipped from Canada.

Concept Aquariums in about 2 hours from my front door, Dave has always had great prices, I haven't talked to him in a while about what he stocks for glass but I know any finishing work that isn't done to the glass is done out of house.
The shipping fee is HUGE. I am paying $2,500 which I assume includes the crating for the stand and tank. I honestly thought it was a bit overpriced but the final delivered price was still less expensive than the other (USA) companies I had quotes from. I didn't get a quote from Concept. I did get a quote from Planet Aquarium (which is local for me) but they were very high on the Starfire glass because they did not have it in stock. Their price on the regular glass was great but I decided to go with the low iron in spite of all the controversy. :cool: I also asked another reputable and local manufacturer to quote, but they were not comfortable building a tank that big in a pentagon shape.

748S911

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on your new tank!

Derek is awesome and Miracles customer service and craftmanship is top notch!

Miracles is currently building my 120”x60”x30” in starphire about a 1000 gallon tank shipped to Virginia. This will be my second tank from Miracles.

As far as pricing is concerned they are also very “reasonable”

350 yellow tangs, 1000 dollar mushrooms....personally I dont think anything in this hobby is reasonable ;Joyful

Ryan Doolittle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Miracles is currently building my 120”x60”x30” in starphire about a 1000 gallon tank shipped to Virginia. This will be my second tank from Miracles.

350 yellow tangs, 1000 dollar mushrooms....personally I dont think anything in this hobby is reasonable ;Joyful

What is the cost on that?

I have started planning on a tank that size but 36 wide.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry for the late (very late) reply. Congrats on the new 1,000g tank! do you have a build thread?

I have to agree, for me, nothing is overly "reasonable" in price. But then again I could have set up a smaller tank and bought damsels. :)

It seems the more fish I look at the more I spend. Like the $1,200 dragon eel. Ouch.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the cost on that?

I have started planning on a tank that size but 36 wide.
Sorry for the very late reply. Did you purchase the tank? How many gallons?

I hate to state the price with our Derek's permission as glass keeps going up. But last I spoke with him, he still had some in stock from his previous order. This keeps prices down. Keep me posted on you build!

Steve

Back