What I learned Today About Starfire (low iron) Glass

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have started a new build, (820 gallon corner pentagon tank) and you can follow it on my other thread. However I wanted to share what I learned today for anyone considering a custom tank with Starfier or low iron glass.

Fist of all I know the debates on color, clarity and if it is easier to scratch and not looking to revisit the debate here. :cool: . After researching I decided if I was going to build a monster tank, spending 10s or 1,000 of $$$, I wanted Starfire glass. However when I asked the companies that were bidding on my tank, about the Starfre (or other low iron option), some companies had large price increases and some companies had much smaller (reasonable) increases to their build price.

Further research revealed that this discrepancy is more than likely based on whether the builder stocks the Starfire glass or not. Build prices are on the rise and I am seeing some build prices go up fast. If a builder has the Starfire glass in their inventory, they can build the tank at a much lower price than a builder that has to order the glass for one specific tank.

My encouragement, if doing a custom build, and ask the builder if they have the Starfire in stock. If they do, chances are their low iron option will be much more affordable. I assume not many companies are large enough to stock the Starfire, but it might be worth the research. I am currently negotiating with Miracle Aquariums and they do stock Starfire glass. However they also are expecting an increase when they have to re-order.

Obvious if you are not going to use Starfire glass, then ignore the above. :)

Hope this helps.

Steve

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the exact same experience recently. Wondered why Miracles price was so much lower than most on starphire. Assumed this was why, but never asked. I went with Miracles. Derek is great.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put me down as a fan of Miracles also. You can see my 460 in my build thread. Derek was great to work with!

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get one small piece of 6mm Starfire (18” sq) from a local glass shop a while back - couldn’t believe both the price and the lead time. Makes sense that if they had a sheet lying around it wouldn’t be so bad.

ReefCheef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered my tank from Miracles and I'm hoping to get it soon also starphire for my build. Derek was great to work with and hopefully I'll have my tank in a few weeks
You'll have yours before me! Hoping for first week of March. Stoked to see yours

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to get one small piece of 6mm Starfire (18” sq) from a local glass shop a while back - couldn’t believe both the price and the lead time. Makes sense that if they had a sheet lying around it wouldn’t be so bad.

This is arguably one of the biggest reasons Reef Savvy tanks take SO long. They don't stock any glass and everything is ordered, cut and polished at the manufacturer before being shipped to then assembled by Reef Savvy. I can only imagine what happens to the timeline when a pane comes in with a scratch or blemish.

Most other manufacturers buy large quantities of glass which also helps reduce the costs of the material. However, they have the storage space to stock it, which isn't always easy to come by, or cheap.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure inventorying glass is incredibly expensive. I own my own business and we sell books and DVDs and it takes lots of space and cash flow. I honestly cannot imagine the cost of keeping large glass panels. However companies that do will be far more competitive. In comparison Miracles was considerably lower than the other two builders and they are still making a profit on my build. Honestly it's hard to imagine someone paying up to twice as much as they need to on a custom build. But, this is America (and Canada for Miracles) and companies can charge what they want.

It took too long for Reef Savvy to get back to me, I had already gone with Miracles.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sure inventorying glass is incredibly expensive. I own my own business and we sell books and DVDs and it takes lots of space and cash flow. I honestly cannot imagine the cost of keeping large glass panels.

Miracles is based out of a very small township in Ontario, cheap land, lower taxes, makes the bills a little easier :)

Oh and BTW, Congratulations on your new tank!!!

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Miracles is based out of a very small township in Ontario, cheap land, lower taxes, makes the bills a little easier :)
True, but their shipping cost are far more. So they have to compensate for that. I think my shipping fee is $2,500!. If I went with AGE or Planet, I could have picked the Aquarium up myself! But even with shipping Miracles was significantly less.

I also have to point out that my build shape and size made some builders nervous and they probably added a bit to make sure they were covered. Others were not even willing to bid on it.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, but their shipping cost are far more. So they have to compensate for that. I think my shipping fee is $2,500!. If I went with AGE or Planet, I could have picked the Aquarium up myself! But even with shipping Miracles was significantly less.

I also have to point out that my build shape and size made some builders nervous and they probably added a bit to make sure they were covered. Others were not even willing to bid on it.

That's bananas! They shipped mine from Ontario to Alberta 2300ish miles and it was only $400

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. How big was the tank? Did it include the stand?
Crate was 6 ft by 4 ft, 520 pounds (Tank is 60" x 30" x 18") no stand as I built that myself so that probably cut back a bit.

ReefnQueens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i running a 150 starfire 60X24x24 from sc aquariums , i love the tank , the craftsmanship is on point! i actually ordered it off amazon from sc aquariums , paid about a grand for the tank by itself and built the stand myself , it comes with bulkheads and overflow plumbing but i modified it to quiet it down

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crate was 6 ft by 4 ft, 520 pounds (Tank is 60" x 30" x 18") no stand as I built that myself so that probably cut back a bit.
Yeah he is telling me it is like 2,500+lbs, Tank is 84" x 24" x 36" pentagon. 3/4" glass. 820g. Lots of glass bracing. And the steel stand which is overbuilt. I thought the shipping was high, but again his all in price was fair. I think I am 2,400 miles away in Dallas.

OP
OP
srcleary

srcleary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i running a 150 starfire 60X24x24 from sc aquariums , i love the tank , the craftsmanship is on point! i actually ordered it off amazon from sc aquariums , paid about a grand for the tank by itself and built the stand myself , it comes with bulkheads and overflow plumbing but i modified it to quiet it down
Can't beat that price!

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah he is telling me it is like 2,500+lbs, Tank is 84" x 24" x 36" pentagon. 3/4" glass. 820g. Lots of glass bracing. And the steel stand which is overbuilt. I thought the shipping was high, but again his all in price was fair. I think I am 2,400 miles away in Dallas.

Well, given your tank is 5 times the size of mine, pretty on par price wise for shipping. That's a monster tank!

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this same experience when I bought my 450 gal from Miracles 4 years ago. They were significantly less expensive for the low iron glass “upgrade” vs other manufacturers.

Can’t remember if Miracles uses Starfire (brand) or other low iron glass.

I did have what looked like etching on the glass that I could feel with my fingernail, it was almost as if a coating on the glass had been damaged by having something drip down the glass that damaged and removed the coating. It was quite visible when the tank was empty but when filled with water it’s very hard to see. Only I know it’s there but it was a bit disappointing. I contemplated returning the tank but decided against it for the hassle... not sure if anyone has ever experienced something like this with low iron glass.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 22 84.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 7.7%
Back