What if I did 1 lightning maroon and a group of ocellaris clownfish?

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’m new to the hobby and am not in any rush. I actually just picked up my first tank and it’s got just about everything I need.(waiting on a few little things to show up.)
It’s a 140 gallon with stand and a eshopps AR-200 4th gen sump. I have a little over 100 lbs of live rock in there now.
I love the look of the lightning maroon clownfish but I think I like the ocellaris designer clowns (specifically the black frostbite clowns) better.
What if I did a clown harem with 1 lightning maroon? With this be fatal for my tank?
Are harems hard to keep?
Is there a better starter tank for a tank this size?

thanks in advance!!!

7BC83E66-F25C-437B-BC23-AB198387058C.jpeg

HD_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might get away with 2 pairs of clowns, but I doubt it lasts very long. I'm surprised there haven't been a ton of posts on your topic....people get very passionate about this! I would stick with only a pair and not take the risk....just my 2 cents.

Dolphins18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had luck with a pair of snowflakes when they first came out with a maroon, added the snowflakes first - they stayed more toward the top of the tank or I would not have done this. The maroon was added when he was a tiny bit smaller than the female, he got shredded for nearly 2 months, maroons are tough fish, he outgrew and all lived happily for many years. One occy and the tomato still live - one occy jumped on my negligence.
Had it been the other way around from the start and the maroon was bullying the snowflakes, they would not stand a chance. Its important to see what is going on in the tank before making a decision, nobody can tell you if it would work. I'd imagine you'd want some fish that seem like predators to the other clowns before trying, maybe an angel/foxface before trying.
Don't be upset or surprised if some get absolutely shredded (and likely killed) at first sight of another - or later in life, that is the likely outcome, but it is possible to do.

74rus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s possible to keep different clowns in one tank, if you can find only juvenile and add them at the same time, cross your fingers. Most probably maroon will kill most of the other clowns, IMO

ImaFlippinDolphin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My gold maroon lightning female would kill me if she could, she's always trying. What I've found in my tank if there are badder fish in the tank she stays in her anemone. She beats the brakes off her mate...super toxic relationship...I wouldn't add other clowns, I have a 192 gallon display

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maroon clowns are so pretty, I would love one, but Ive heard they are soooo MEAN. So I just have one reg ocellaris clownfish. And hes already pretty mean, I cant imagine keeping one that would be even meaner. Bites the crap outta my arm when Im in the tank, and chases my flame hawk away from his spot.

OP
OP
agame2021

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I have been trying to study it out and I thought it would be cool to have like 1 lightning maroon clownfish and about 9-11 ocellaris clowns of different colors. I mean if y’all are suggesting keep clowns in smaller numbers I can understand.
But what other fish could I get with a couple of ocellaris clowns? Everything I have seen that I think is pretty are apparently advanced like gem tangs/achilles tang. I thought about a clown triggerfish but apparently they are not good for a coral/reef tank and can kill the other fish…

I just need some suggestions for other fish I can keep that would be good for a new reefer who wants to get some corals and a few designer clowns?

74rus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest to find mated pair of any clowns you like. Stay away from damsels, those buggers will pick on everything that swims. Foxface , bristletooth tangs on hardier side and great algae eaters. Six line and yellow corris wrasses always active and great pest control,

dgorney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I have been trying to study it out and I thought it would be cool to have like 1 lightning maroon clownfish and about 9-11 ocellaris clowns of different colors. I mean if y’all are suggesting keep clowns in smaller numbers I can understand.
But what other fish could I get with a couple of ocellaris clowns? Everything I have seen that I think is pretty are apparently advanced like gem tangs/achilles tang. I thought about a clown triggerfish but apparently they are not good for a coral/reef tank and can kill the other fish…

I just need some suggestions for other fish I can keep that would be good for a new reefer who wants to get some corals and a few designer clowns?
Most places if you ask they'll let you know whether the fish is reef safe or not if you're still having a problem research it saltwater.com and there's a lot of information per species

Back