What if what y’all thought about the six line wrasse was not true

Greatdane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure the posts can go on and on about how their six line wrasse bully’s all of their fish but my six line wrasse it getting bullied to the point where he is stuck in a corner or he wants to stay in the rock he is currently getting bullied by one of my damsels but I’ve seen a lot of post of outing their six line wrasse in timeout but now I’m to the point where I’m going to o it my damsel in another tank just thought I would post this :)

OP
OP
Greatdane

Greatdane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is somewhere down in that hole

image.jpg

OP
OP
Greatdane

Greatdane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have y’all witnessed this happening to your wrasse

Yelepjc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My maroon female and my regal both gang up on my six line if it gets within a foot of my anemone lol

U

User1

View Badges
Every fish can be a bully and no two fish are the same. In order for Damsels or Six Lines to work in your tank the environment has to support them. This is the same more or less with any other fish be it tang, damsel, angel, or wrasse. For example adding two purple tangs at the same time - do you thing that will go over well and they will display golden bombs of light and love to one another? No...they wont. Same with yellow and gem or purple and yellow or scopas. Similar types will clash.

In your case, not knowing what genus the damsel is it is hard to say why it is acting the way it is. Similarly to the six line. Six lines need, as do damsels, nooks, crannies, lots of rock, coral maturity, to break things up. They are going to also compete for similar food(s) in some cases. I'm guessing by now you can sort of see where I am going with this. A lot of issues with these two fish you mentioned are actually the hobbyists fault 9 out of 10 times. Both are incredibly beautiful fish but need an environment for them to feel at home. Otherwise bad things happen.

Yes, they have a reputation...but if tank/env is right so will be the fish. Sorry I don't have an answer for you but hopefully the six line isn't injured. If it doesn't settle down you may need to pick one and remove / rehome the other.

MT_is_a_Pisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had 3 sixline wrasses in two different tanks, lost one to jumping. They are model tank mates.

OP
OP
Greatdane

Greatdane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every fish can be a bully and no two fish are the same. In order for Damsels or Six Lines to work in your tank the environment has to support them. This is the same more or less with any other fish be it tang, damsel, angel, or wrasse. For example adding two purple tangs at the same time - do you thing that will go over well and they will display golden bombs of light and love to one another? No...they wont. Same with yellow and gem or purple and yellow or scopas. Similar types will clash.

In your case, not knowing what genus the damsel is it is hard to say why it is acting the way it is. Similarly to the six line. Six lines need, as do damsels, nooks, crannies, lots of rock, coral maturity, to break things up. They are going to also compete for similar food(s) in some cases. I'm guessing by now you can sort of see where I am going with this. A lot of issues with these two fish you mentioned are actually the hobbyists fault 9 out of 10 times. Both are incredibly beautiful fish but need an environment for them to feel at home. Otherwise bad things happen.

Yes, they have a reputation...but if tank/env is right so will be the fish. Sorry I don't have an answer for you but hopefully the six line isn't injured. If it doesn't settle down you may need to pick one and remove / rehome the other.
That’s what we are planning on doing it is a yellow tail damsel I have 2 of them

Admann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Domino Damsel was the most evil creature known, he's re-homed, my six-line is a kitten, except at the dinner bell

DoctaReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People seem to like Springer's (Blue Sapphire) Damsels. I think it depends on the type.
What do others think?

U

User1

View Badges
Also can you put two six lines in the same tank

I have only had 1 six line in my 100 gallon years back. I do not think you should keep two. I've personally never done so nor recently read anyone doing so. I guess it would depend on the size of the tank. Even then some have said they had a fish in a 450 gallon tank, which we would assume is rather large, and a fish still found the other one to bully. Go figure.

Based on owning one. They are constantly foraging. Hovering over rocks. Eyeballing everything. Swim, stop, hover, move, dart, weave, eat, move. Splash of speed, then instant stop to eat. Remind me a lot of hummingbirds. They sort of fight over their respected favorite feeder and flower shrub at my house. Crazy things - six lines remind me of them. Go Figure.

Read up - but I think it wouldn't turn out well. They are great utility fish. Really, they are. If you like the look but want something tamer I've read good things about the 6 line I believe it is called.

U

User1

View Badges
People seem to like Springer's (Blue Sapphire) Damsels. I think it depends on the type.
What do others think?

Chrysiptera is typically the more recommended Damsel. So Talbots, Traceys, Azures, etc. Doesn't mean you can't have a bad actor but anything usually in this genus is friendlier than the rest. Starcki is another good choice as are randall's and Fusilier.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sixlines are definitely known to be bullies...typically...you may occasionally find some that are more mellow, but that's not typical per most of the reports of behavior found online. Damsels are also known to be bullies. I won't keep a damsel at all other than clownfish (and wouldn't keep a sixline under most circumstances). It sounds to me like you kind of have a bully chasing a bully. Maybe if you move the damsels, you'll be one of the lucky ones to have a model citizen sixline. Hope it works out. Just know that you have some fish there that are known for aggression.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, and 2 sixlines shouldn't be kept in the same tank. You'll most likely end up with just 1.

Back