What if you are allergic to shellfish or shrimp but want to keep a reef

Trill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is allergic to shellfish and shrimp so bad that even sea salt or seafood in the air can cause her to go into anaphylactic. We both love reefs and other tanks. We have a biocube that she can look at but not touch. The lid keeps the evaporation low on the biocube. What would you all suggest for to keep the air nice and clean for bigger tanks.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also allergic to both - but not to that extent (though I do get the occasional rash on my arms if I haven't thoroughly scrubbed enough). For a larger tank I might suggest something like a portable dehumidifier for the room in which it resides. A glass or similarly enclosed lid will also help, although this ups the maintenance with all the salt creep/spray.

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lame jokes aside, I honestly doubt reef tank evaporation would cause a problem. Water evaporation is just that -- water. It's not leeching tropomyosin from your inverts' muscles first.

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am severely allergic to shrimp, lobster and crab even some fish but I plug along with my reef. I have to be very careful when I make food for the fish. The last time I made a batch i inadvertently wiped my eyes and then the fun began. Over the counter meds help me.
I have never heard of salt evaporation causing a reaction. I really can't see that as a way to cause a reaction but I'm no doctor.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mother is extremely allergic to shellfish and she has never had a problem coming into my house. That being said I also don't mess with my tank when I know that she is going to be coming over. I'm mildly allergic to shellfish (just crabs and lobster if I eat them as of now) and I can put my hands in my tank without a reaction. FYI anaphylaxis doesn't always have an immediate reaction and it can come on after several hours of exposure so, keep those epipens handy at all times, also tagamet and diphenhydramine. My mother's aunt died from it at a restaurant with never having a prior reaction so be careful.

Back