What Impact will the Trade Wars have on Reefing Gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys fail to realize tariffs won’t bring manufacturing back to the US.

The average salary in China is under $5,000, it’s $32,000 in the US.

Manufacturing is incredibly cheap. What the US needs to do is subsidize industries we want to boost. Instead we gave tax cuts financed on debt.

Things are going to really, really hurt when this gets into full swing. I work in probiotic manufacturing

Based on their 1.4 billion people to our 326 million?? Erase from the equation the Millions and Millions of Chinese that are considered peasants and only farm for their communities etc...and only factor in the non 3rd world type population in and around the giant cities, and I guarantee you it is a much different $ amount. For example....the average wage in Bejing and Shanghai is closer to $17k per year BUT consumer goods are 84% more expensive in the USA and rent prices are 116% more expensive in the USA...

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So an American company should not make money if other countries make money as well along the way. I mean, the Chinese don't seem to mind the US companies making huge profits even though their hard working citizens put forth all the work to make those products.

Are you actually reading what I wrote? I made no such assertion. Was just correcting what appeared to be a misconception on your part.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you actually reading what I wrote? I made no such assertion. Was just correcting what appeared to be a misconception on your part.
Yes, I did. I made no statement, therefore there was no misconception to be corrected. I simply asked a question.

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I guess only time will tell. I’m rooting for America! I refuse to belie

thats a great talking point... I refuse to believe that. Yes we will have a little discomfort, as well will other countries... I’m very confident that this will not become out of control. Remember, this is America! All other countries that trade with us are doing it for very good reason... we are the #1 consumer (Bye Far) in the world. I see using this fact alone will prove to be the deciding factor in each and every country we deal with’s decision to lower their fees of entry just so their manufacturing doesn’t collapse. Btw the “Useless Tax cuts” you speak of, again another angle to promote the resurgence of American Manufacturing. The point is to become more competitive by not absolutely killing the American company with ( Bye Far) the highest corporate tax rate in the world. Even Obama suggested to lower our tax rate drastically. Just didn’t have the gonads to do it, Nor did he have much support on his side for such a “ridiculous notion” as most lefties would claim. More taxes to fix this or that does Not help. It further puts the burden on hard working Americans backs to throw our money at a problem and make even more government waste by just adding government jobs to handle and spend all of our money in some of the most absurd, Wasteful manners. The sheer amount of taxes that a company is forced to pay in is yet another reason our Business’s flee to greener pastures (other countries). It’s about dang time someone actually stood up for our best interests. We as a Nation have picked up and helped numerous other countries to prosperity. That’s a great thing! Isn’t our Country’s well being important too? We can argue all day about who’s right or wrong about any subject. Only time will tell who is rt in this very topic. Subsidize the industries we like you say? Again. Another leftie solution to not fix anything. Perpetuate the huge problem of government dependencey. No thanks. Those are the same ideas that got us in this position in the first place. A company should be able to thrive on its own, not thru subsidies. There would be no reason to have to do that if we didn’t drive the companies out in the first place by taxing them into submission. So ur answer would basically be we as a nation should accept that we lost all these manufacturing jobs and not change anything. Just throw subsidies at companies some may or may not champion in efforts to keep them afloat, while other companies that are no big deal to your life can just continue to be absolutely battered by enormous amount of taxes. Hmmm. Doesn’t seem so smart. Whereas a large corporate tax cut give all industry a well needed break and let them decide how to better their company w their money the way they find fit. That to me makes a whole lot more sense . Sometimes I feel like I’m taking crazy pills when I hear the opposing argument. Sorry, just happens to be

The tax cuts don’t offset the increase we’ve already in gas and food (at least at my tax bracket which isn’t that low...). You’d think tax cuts would lower the cost of goods, right? Guess not!

In May major corporations bought back over $200B in stock. We could argue all day about the effects of that.

Do you truly expect American manufacturing to compete with countries that can produce items 70-90% cheaper? I mean you clearly do, but how?

cpschult

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based on their 1.4 billion people to our 326 million?? Erase from the equation the Millions and Millions of Chinese that are considered peasants and only farm for their communities etc...and only factor in the non 3rd world type population in and around the giant cities, and I guarantee you it is a much different $ amount. For example....the average wage in Bejing and Shanghai is closer to $17k per year BUT consumer goods are 84% more expensive in the USA and rent prices are 116% more expensive in the USA...

A few things scare me about China. The two scariest in my opinion is their ability to plan long term (buying mineral rights all over the world, etc.) and the fact they have three times the college graduates we have high school graduates.

Their high speed rails and new bridges are incredible... how is the US going to start funding our infrastructure rebuild.

Last edited:
OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/05/global-trade-war-ramps-up-as-us-tariffs-on-china-kick-in.html
Dashboard 1.png

Michael Naegeli

Captainspando
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tax cuts don’t offset the increase we’ve already in gas and food (at least at my tax bracket which isn’t that low...). You’d think tax cuts would lower the cost of goods, right? Guess not!

In May major corporations bought back over $200B in stock. We could argue all day about the effects of that.

Do you truly expect American manufacturing to compete with countries that can produce items 70-90% cheaper? I mean you clearly do, but how?
I’m not seeing this huge increase in gas, I run 7 trucks daily w about the same gas expense as before any of this. Nothing even remotely compared to the sky high prices just a few years back. Food costs? Again not seeing any noteable increases other than the normal inflation we’ve seen for years. That’s a hollow arguement. Do I believe the US will be a manufacturing powerhouse again?? No, I never said that... do I believe we can and will bring back some of those jobs? Yes wholeheartedly do, and we dang well better for our own National security. As any policy change, it will take time to see the results. Only been 6 months. Btw each one of my Employees gets to keep an extra $40-$60 per pay period of their hard earned money due to these Tax cuts. May not seem like a whole lot to many, but to them it is a well welcomed change for the better. No matter which side of this arguement you stand, one must allow time to see the changes that are anticipated. As far as trade wars go, again I believe in a little time they will prove to make signigant changes in the way the US does business around the world and will only benefit us all in the Big picture. I’m optimistic that these issues will both prove to be a winner for our Nation. Enough said from me for now.... I’m gonna sit back and wait to see the end result. Not just a bunch of hoopla from anyone w an opinion. Although I do Love a good arguement... haha. Good day!

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few things scare me about China. The two scariest in my opinion is their ability to plan long term (buying mineral rights all over the world, etc.) and the fact they have three times the college graduates we have high school graduates.

Their high speed rails and new bridges are incredible... how is the US going to start funding our infrastructure rebuild.
Nothing to be scared about unless you are riding those high speed rail lines or traveling on those new bridges.

Certainly nothing to envy.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what aquarium equipment other than Aquariums and sumps and acrylic doodads are really made in the US still or where ever made here.
Many aquarium "manufacturers" just rebranded foreign equipment for years in the first place.
The US has lost jobs in manufacturing do to the American public not wanting to pay for USA made goods. I remember well when Walmart started and their main selling point to the public was we sell USA made goods.
Well have you looked at what Walmart sell's now? Where are the American made TV sets in our living rooms? But we like to go on about buying a 50" HD OLED TV for 395.00.
There are no electronics made in the USA anymore do to the price people want to pay for their TV's and other goods. Tariff's will do nothing to bring back this type of manufacturing to the USA.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to mention that future tends in Automobile manufacturing will rely more and more on Aluminum. Having the processing capacity and an advanced infrastructure in place when needed will benefit US consumers and of course lower the costs. FYI Fords F150 is Aluminum and Jeep Wrangler is or going to be.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tariff's will do nothing to bring back this type of manufacturing to the USA.
That may be , But send the boards to the US and assemble them here to avoid tariffs and you put people to work.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, America makes solid products, not many, but what we make is solid. But we are expensive. So our companies send a lot of things to be made in other countries where the people make less then import them back. Those companies should be taxed for doing that. This will hopefully bring our jobs back here. Buy American!
Business is just to expensive here in the states.

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In general, America makes solid products, not many, but what we make is solid. But we are expensive. So our companies send a lot of things to be made in other countries where the people make less then import them back. Those companies should be taxed for doing that. This will hopefully bring our jobs back here. Buy American!
Business is just to expensive here in the states.
As someone who parents worked for GE making dishwashers and refrigerators. I have seen first hand what has happened to American manufacturers. At one time The GE plant here in Louisville employed 25,000 people making appliances for the US market. The plant today is down to 1500 workers and it is owned by a Chinese company. An the workers have had wages lowered and benefits removed.
Mainly due to competition from lower priced goods from oversea's. That AMERICAN's buy because they don't want to pay for US made goods. The companies are not going to be taxed for bringing in overseas made goods because the companies have law makers in their back pocket. Our man in washington Mcconnell is one of them he is a life long politician who is worth millions from getting kick backs from companies to look the other way.

OP
OP
siggy

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf 1.5-2 million Americans might answer that question, and its just not the assembler, a TV for example has a mother board, video board PS and screen, Most likely the plastic case would be produced hear so now a plastics factory and supply chain, Mold makers($25-50) maintenance workers engineers So On and how about the AC repairman that tends to all the buildings. the Screens would most likely begin to be made hear as well due to shipping / handling loses. NOW to call an Assembler Unskilled would get You Eaten hear in the D. In fact they are considered Semi skilled by department of labor and make Six Figures a year. I regularly talk to One who's an avid Reefer and has a setup that Almost parallels yours:p Imagine Standing for 10 hours a day assembling the same thing day in day out. The repetitive stress, carpel tunnel is no joke and the surgeries are worse, My wife woke-up crying every night, BTY no AC here, each employee gets a overhead fan and if it reaches 90 degrees they get 2 bottles of water. If you hear people saying Auto workers make too much tell them to walk a mile in the shoes.....Just saying my friend:)

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf 1.5-2 million Americans might answer that question, and its just not the assembler, a TV for example has a mother board, video board PS and screen, Most likely the plastic case would be produced hear so now a plastics factory and supply chain, Mold makers($25-50) maintenance workers engineers So On and how about the AC repairman that tends to all the buildings. the Screens would most likely begin to be made hear as well due to shipping / handling loses. NOW to call an Assembler Unskilled would get You Eaten hear in the D. In fact they are considered Semi skilled by department of labor and make Six Figures a year. I regularly talk to One who's an avid Reefer and has a setup that Almost parallels yours:p Imagine Standing for 10 hours a day assembling the same thing day in day out. The repetitive stress, carpel tunnel is no joke and the surgeries are worse, My wife woke-up crying every night, BTY no AC here, each employee gets a overhead fan and if it reaches 90 degrees they get 2 bottles of water. If you hear people saying Auto workers make too much tell them to walk a mile in the shoes.....Just saying my friend:)

Siggy my plant is right down the street from the Ford F150 plant and it is hard work. But they had their wages and benefits cut during this round of Oh the car companies are in trouble business I few years ago. Now new hires make 18.00 dollars and hour and you better not get hurt or you are gone. Most people don't last 90 days in that work environment. We have trouble here in the Food plant due to people not wanting to work 6 and 7 days a week as the food business is around the clock 7 days a week job now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back