What in the heck is happening?! Where is my ammonia going?!

GenericReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cycle completed, and I did a complete water change, the nitrates having skyrocketed. Everything (but the pH..) showed up at zero. Nothing at all. So I added a few drops of ammonia. Ammonia began to read, then faded. But nothing else changed. I've noticed this yellow/peach layer developing on the rockwork. Not just like diatoms, but it's growing in thick layers, kind of like barnacles. I'll update pictures soon. Until then, any idea on what's going on??

OP
OP
GenericReefer

GenericReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it look like cycle is complete (It's been a month) ? Is the growth safe for the clean up crew I'll add? (1 trochus and cerith)
sorry for the drag on questions :p

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added some CUC only 5 days into cycle. But I used Tim's one and only to seed the tank.

OP
OP
GenericReefer

GenericReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So with the CUC, could I get some decorative algae? Anything that doesn't need any maintainence, or can do anything too bad (releasing nutrients into water, going sexual, etc.)?

OP
OP
GenericReefer

GenericReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what it looks like. I turned off the lights because of glare, so what I think are diatoms are not as yellow.
upload_2017-11-18_11-6-51.png

spiraling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can add ammonia and have it test 0 soon after, then your tank is cycled. You don't have much algae for a CUC, so add them slowly.

If you are looking for macro algaes there are many to choose from. stay away from ANY type of calurpa (grape, polifera, etc). reefcleaners and live-plants have some different kinds. You are also ready for a fish. One, then wait a month and check ammonia, then another.

You can also start adding corals if you want a reef tank. If this is your first tank you might want to try some easier ones. Cheap usually means easy. "softies" such as zoas can be pretty hardy. Always read about them before you purchase. There are several types of coral that can be beautiful, easy to grow, but invasive (Green star polyp, pulsing xenia) and should be placed on a rock it can cover and not touch other rocks.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could add some small hermits and feed the tank some pellets for them to eat.

And that does look like diatoms to me.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 61 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back