What in the holy heck is this thing?

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just feeding shrimp and saw this tiny little thing grappling with one, eventually letting it go. What on earth is it, I’ve just noticed two of them and I have no idea what they are.

sorry that the video is blue, I didn’t have time to change the lights as I didn’t want to lose it.

It’s red in colour, seems to have two antennae, and is see through on its underside.

(Not the vermatid snail, it’s the tiny creature next to it)

Attachments

• IMG_1266.MOV
    20.3 MB
  • FullSizeRender.MOV
    16.1 MB

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Looks like an amphipod to me. Best of luck :)

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some other common hitchhikers hikers that we get in our tanks

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Lol, sorry I finish most of everything I post with that. Normal part of a clean up crew. Some have issues when they are in very high numbers. I have never had any issues with amphipods

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol, sorry I finish most of everything I post with that. Normal part of a clean up crew. Some have issues when they are in very high numbers. I have never had any issues with amphipods

oh right well thank you everyone, seem like they are an indicator of a healthy aquarium so glad to see them. I only have two clowns, so if they get out of hand I’ll up the fish levels to keep them in check haha

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If dont want/ like or want to keep numbers in check then can employ certain fish that go around actively hunting them ( ovbiously fish can't distinguish between what's a good critter or bad critter ,as they all probably tasty)
Most my fish I got in my tank ive got for a certain reason,like eat certain pests,algae or aiptasia or what not ,( just incase get them) not all fish that get recommended to eat a certain pest actually do,it's just that some or most can do etc)
Btw not saying ampripods are pests,as I consider them beneficial but just giving you options,like alot of wrasses just zoom around the tank looking for pods/ critters to eat ^_^
Need to find out recommended tank size and compatability of your other livestock before adding anything .
Good luck and enjoy

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back