What in the world is this thing

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking at my tank at night and see this disgusting looking creature making it’s way across my rocks. Is this a snail out of its shell I didn’t know that was even possible. It’s antennas look longer than ones of my Trochus snails…
What is this thing

6185AE59-1B62-46AF-8076-7C2178D82E80.jpeg DA853046-8890-4D31-9591-1BB12205849A.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3714.MOV
    10.5 MB
OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. Stomatella. Great little detritivores (also may eat certain types of algae).
Where did this thing even come from my tank is 8 months old, I did start with some live rock but this is the first time ever seeing this thing

View Badges
Yep. Stomatella. Great little detritivores (also may eat certain types of algae).
They’re herbivores, they will destroy most algae. They’re also interesting to watch as they actually stretch out and stand up to get a better view of things… or to spluge. They spluge a lot.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did this thing even come from my tank is 8 months old, I did start with some live rock but this is the first time ever seeing this thing
They usually live under and in your rocks and only come out at night. Occasionally you’ll see them during the day, but they’re pretty elusive. That said, if you see one, you’ve probably got fifty. There are several different types, there’s a jet black one with a white little shell part that’s actually quite pretty.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never put one in my tank either. After 7 months I saw one big one. A month later I have 2. Same thing happened to me lol

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They usually live under and in your rocks and only come out at night. Occasionally you’ll see them during the day, but they’re pretty elusive. That said, if you see one, you’ve probably got fifty. There are several different types, there’s a jet black one with a white little shell part that’s actually quite pretty.
Pretty cool. I’m glad they are a good find lol

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never put one in my tank either. After 7 months I saw one big one. A month later I have 2. Same thing happened to me lol
Lol I was like what in the world is this thing. Wild how for 8 months I’ve never saw it

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stomatella snails are awesome little guys. I have exactly one that came as a hitchhiker. I've never really seen vendors sell them.

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol I was like what in the world is this thing. Wild how for 8 months I’ve never saw it
I would say you have a lot more surprises coming your way, especially if you spend time watching your tank at night with a flashlight. Snails, worms, urchins, starfish, crabs, shrimp, tunicates, sponges, all come in on that rock.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would say you have a lot more surprises coming your way, especially if you spend time watching your tank at night with a flashlight. Snails, worms, urchins, starfish, crabs, shrimp, tunicates, sponges, all come in on that rock.
I agree. I had bought live rock and 6 months later saw a pencil urchin the size of a quarter toppled all of my upper rock work.
So yup. keep an eye out at night. You never know who's out and about playing.

OP
OP
ASIN28

ASIN28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. I had bought live rock and 6 months later saw a pencil urchin the size of a quarter toppled all of my upper rock work.
So yup. keep an eye out at night. You never know who's out and about playing.
Lol pretty cool as long as you find a good hitchhiker

Salty Sea Flowers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Sorry, I'm totally late to this thread, but after seeing one of these the other night, pop out of a hole in one of my live rocks, I've been wondering as well...

Mine actually mowed down a MASSIVE clump of green hair algae that was right beside its "home hole". I was impressed! In blue lighting, it also takes on this kind of beautiful purple-ish coloration with white-ish highlights around its foot. Happy to know he's beneficial!

Darren in Tacoma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just discovered a scallop about the size of a nickel, way back in the rocks. Have to wonder what is living in the back and in the bottom that you never see.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back