What in the world?

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just got home from work and was looking at my tank, it’s still new so I’ve got a huge algae/bacteria bloom, and this is what I saw. So it must have gotten some flow underneath it and bulged up and is pulling up from the sand bed. Was not expecting to see this when I got home. Lol by the way can anyone one tell by the pics if this is cyano or Dino? Any help is appreciated. Thanks and happy reefing!
DFDE993E-87A1-4678-ABE5-FDEC8BF40D9F.jpeg
CE88E71B-4696-4CC5-B35E-34267CFDD507.jpeg

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search for how to test by getting some tank water with some of the red slime ( looks like cyano to me)and shake it up then filter it through some kitchen paper of coffee filter into a glass then leave and apparently if dinos it will form back into a snotty mess.

But highly advise search for the thread where states exactly what to do as be more Info than I giving you I think.
Think should find in the thread " are you tired off battling ........"

Last edited:

Alexraptor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano to me, the carpet-like formations are rather typical. And It's also possible the 'bulging' is a result of photosynthesis, creating enough air bubbles/pockets to become buoyant. Seen it happen in my early days in the hobby.

OP
OP
Reefdiculous22

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Search for how to test by getting some tank water with some of the red slime ( looks like cyano to me)and shake it up then filter it through some kitchen paper of coffee filter into a glass then leave and apparently if dinos it will form back into a snotty mess.

But highly advise search for the thread where states exactly what to do as be more Info than I giving you I think.
Think should find in the thread " are you tired off battling ........"
Yes I think I’ve seen those before. I will have to do that because it looks brown with the lights out but red with lights on

OP
OP
Reefdiculous22

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano to me, the carpet-like formations are rather typical. And It's also possible the 'bulging' is a result of photosynthesis, creating enough air bubbles/pockets to become buoyant. Seen it happen in my early days in the hobby.
This is my first tank so that probably why, I think that may be true as well, the top was covered in water bubbles yesterday and today it completely matted over. Said part is I just hand picked that area on Sunday when I did my water change. Crazy how fast it grows back

OP
OP
Reefdiculous22

Reefdiculous22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted an update on my cyano battle on my build thread meant to publish on my let’s see those uglies thread, but if your interested you can check it out there. Thanks for the help.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back